Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'disabled community's' view of stem cell research?

The 'disabled community's' view of stem cell research?

I am in a Disability and Society class at the University of Washington and am writing a final paper on stem cell research. I was told to write about the "disability community's perspective" of stem cell research. I was wondering if those of you who have a spinal cord injury or even another kind of disability wouldn't mind telling me your thoughts about stem cell research - whether you support it or not, whether you think it would be helpful/harmful, etc.
    I would really appreciate your comments!
    Thanks
    Caitlin

hi caitlin and welcome to CC,

I have ranted on this issue many times here, please do a search.

"disability community's perspective" of stem cell research.

there seems to be two groups, disability leadership and disability community

i would be pleased to hear the response to your question from the disability leadership
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by caitlins
    I am in a Disability and Society class at the University of Washington and am writing a final paper on stem cell research. I was told to write about the "disability community's perspective" of stem cell research. I was wondering if those of you who have a spinal cord injury or even another kind of disability wouldn't mind telling me your thoughts about stem cell research - whether you support it or not, whether you think it would be helpful/harmful, etc.
    I would really appreciate your comments!
    Thanks
    Caitlin
    A link to a letter that speaks for myself.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...6&postcount=18
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

I've been a paraplegic for just over 5 years now. Though I know my knowledge about current research is seriously lacking in comparrison with many other Care Cure members, I have read enough to objectively state that if there is hope for us, it lies with stem cells.

Personally I unequivocally support ALL stem cell research.
    "just because you can't see a road,
    doesn't mean it is not there"
    - captain morgan add

I support all stem cell research, for all conditions. I am not 100% sure they will cure us, as I am not a doctor. I would just like no stone left unturned.

1. Please note: Embryonic stem cell research DOES NOT utilize aborted fetuses.
    2. Note also: The embryo created by in-vitro fertilization and not implanted in the womb is discarded in the trash. This is what is needed for embryonic stem cell research.

People tend to miss those 2 points, so I wanted to clarify them.

there is so mush news on stem cells. i'm sick of hearing all the things they maybe can do. it's time to get the show on the road.
    oh well

Must be pursued at all costs - would be a gross public disservice not to. Like Betheny says, embryonic stem cell research does not = a baby cull [as I once saw it referred to as] or an abortion. The blastocysts [clumps of cells] used are destined for the incinerator and were never intended to become a human life.

Stem cell research is the future of medicine. Individuals like Bush cannot deny it forever,

Hi Caitlin,

Happy to help.

As someone with a spinal cord injury, I support both adult and embryonic stem cell (ASC and ESC, respectively) research. I think both are important and should receive federal funding.

ESCs offer great promise because they are pluripotent, meaning they can form every type of cell in the human body. [Ed. note: the term pluripotent really describes (based on etymology) a cell with the potential to form many cell types, but the the word is commonly used in the media to describe a cell with the same flexibility as an ESC. It's hard to correct pervasive public misconceptions, so I just go with the flow and misuse the term.]

ESCs—or, pluripotent stem cells more generally—will allow researchers to grow unlimited numbers of adult stem cells for use in transplants.

There is a current shortage of bone marrow for bone marrow transplants, so pluripotent stem cells can be used to eliminate that problem. Neural stem cells (for stroke, spinal cord injury, etc) are difficult to isolate—growing them in a lab from pluripotent stem cells is much easier than obtaining them from the brain.

ESCs offer the most promise, in my opinion, when it comes to studying genetic diseases. Getting diseased ESC lines is tricky, as it would require cloning.

A recent discovery may solve that problem, as researchers were able to endow normal skin cells with pluripotent properties. These cells, known as induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells, may or may not develop the same way as ESCs; it's currently under investigation.

If they do, creating a diseased iPS line for research will be as easy as getting a cheek swab from a person with the disease. Creating patient-specific stem cell lines, to avoid any potential immune rejection issues after treatment, will also be simple.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Steven
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 12-07-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

caitlin,
    Hi. I am a more mature CC member. Disabled not by injury but disease. For over five decades.
    Honestly I can't believe it will be 2008 in less than a month and people are still using wheelchairs, braces, crutches and still no treatments that restore/regenerate..CURE.

Will stemcell science accomplish this? We won't know unless we give it all we possibly can.
    We have ethical standards that can and will be applied to this science.

There are some like Dr. Keirstead that are in the planning stage of a clinical trial to possibly BUY babies with SMA Type1 some time. Something they don't have much of. As many motor neuron diseases often are fast and fatal. These babies need this time so science can find more treatments. Without improvement they will die within a few months to a few years.

Would we already know if the cell therapy can buy them time if no bans were created in 2001? I dun't know. And I hope not.

A thirty year old friend of one of our members just recently died of spinal cord injury related issues.
    Let's give it all a try.

Please advice your fellow students that going forward is a very good direction and ask them to please support federal funding for ALL stem cell and medical research. Thanks. And Welcome.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

I support all stem cell research. A cure will come one day and NO ONE knows which type it will come from. We need funding into all types of stem cell research not just one in particular. i believe its already been proven to be helpful but more research needs to be done to really maximize it. It could be harmful but I won't be the guniea pig to find that out and possibly ruin my chances if a real cure is to come about.

You know where to find me if you want more info lil sis