Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep study, sleep apnea and CPAP question

Question Sleep study, sleep apnea and CPAP question

I see many people here are using a CPAP for sleep apnea.
    They did they a sleep study on me some time ago for this. The pressure was so high I could hardly breathe out to get new breath of air. I hardly slept. After two nights of that, apparently I had slept enough for the RT to diagnose sleep apnea. The RT wanted to go a third night with the study to confirm it, but I was so exhausted from not sleeping that I refused.

Seems my lungs have hurt since then.

My question is, is that high pressure typical during sleep study? I need to have a CPAP but don't want to go through the hell of a sleep study like that again. Please share experiences with sleep studies for apnea.

Oh, what if the power goes off for a long period of time, will the CPAP user be able to sleep without stopping breathing?

Thanks In Advance!

My wife went to Good Sam in Portland for her sleep study some years ago. She never said anything about too high a pressure; after an hour or so of observation that night they said "yes, you have obstructive sleep apnea, try this" and they put on a CPAP. That was the first decent night's sleep she had had for years - that morning when I drove her home, it was the first time she had not fallen asleep in the car for years. I saw some of the monitor readouts, and they were very illuminating - sleep apnea is very hard on the heart.
    I don't really understand why the pressure was so high for your sleep test.
    We were talking the other day about what happens when the power goes off (it only flickered a bit for us Sunday evening); she just automatically opens her mouth without waking - and starts snoring . Same as when the hose gets disconnected. Not a problem.
    - Richard

quadvet, I'm quite sure I also have sleep apnea as you've described. I always snore, I wake up short of breath and I yawn a lot during the day. Actually my doc had arranged a sleep study for me two different times and I never followed up on them. I really should get assessed because a guy (another quad) who was my roomate in the hospital 30 years ago died a couple years ago due to complications from sleep apnea. I couldn't believe it. Until my next dr. appt. when he chews my ass for not getting the sleep study , I'm going to try this chin strap instead of the CPAP.
    http://www.tinashomecare.com/cpap_chin_straps.htm

My experience was great in the sleep study. The problem was, the machine/mask I got from insurance was not the same. It sucks!

I stopped using it. I have a canula that gives O2 up the nose instead.

It sorta works.

Sorry NoDecafPlz that's a bummer

Man can't imagine sleeping with all that.

Maybe just the strap.

Guess I need to read up on this.
    I wake myself up constantly.
    I'll sleep 5 seconds then jerk awake w/a loud snore.
    I'm not that fat.
    I'm 145 lbs 5'2", but 75% of my fat is in my belly.
    Why are we all doing this? our belly?

ggrrrrr

Quadvet,
    I had sleep apnea a couple of years ago prior to my accident. I had all the signs and it was actually pretty scarey because I would fall asleep everywhere. I would stop at a stop sign and fall asleep, I would fall asleep in the middle of a sentence. There were a few times where I fell asleep driving home on the freeway and I would wake up and realize that I had driven past my exit by miles.

Sleep study is bad, from what I hear you can even do it at home. My brother in law did it and I will let you know. I tried the CPab machine and I couldn't handle it I would take it off during the night. I decided to have an operation and I don't have apnea any longer. They take out your tonsils, adinoid, and open up your throat. Operation hurt like a mother but definetly worth while. A lot of people have sleep apnea and don't have a clue they have it. Good luck,,,,,,Enrique

Seep apnea occurs commonyin those with thicker necks & also those who have recessed chins- you don't have to be overweight.

Drinking alcohol & narcotics can make the apnea worse.

CWO

So my medicine is causing it.

thanks~

Hi quadvet,

I had some of your symptoms and I was prescribed a Bi-Pap machine. It decreases pressure when I exhale and increases when I inhale. I was having to use a full face mask which caused me problems. They came out with a new mask that fits into the nostrils and this works very well for me.

Good luck with yours,
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    My wife went to Good Sam in Portland for her sleep study some years ago. She never said anything about too high a pressure; after an hour or so of observation that night they said "yes, you have obstructive sleep apnea, try this" and they put on a CPAP.

I don't really understand why the pressure was so high for your sleep test.

- Richard
    I'm not allowed to go to Good Samaritan's, being a veteran.

I don't understand the pressure being so high, either. But I the staff reassured me that it was normal. My chest and belly was expanding more than it had in 15 years, even a visitor was surprised. I had to actually push out to get the pressure to stop and allow me to exhale.