Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super-oxygenated Water Kills Bugs Dead

Super-oxygenated Water Kills Bugs Dead

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,...tml?tw=rss.TEK

Very interesting article. I wonder if this could be useful catheters and decubiti?

Super Water Kills Bugs Dead

By Skip Kaltenheuser | Also by this reporter

02:00 AM May. 16, 2005 PT

A California company has figured out how to use two simple materials -- water and salt -- to create a solution that wipes out single-celled organisms, and which appears to speed healing of burns, wounds and diabetic ulcers.

The solution looks, smells and tastes like water, but carries an ion imbalance that makes short work of bacteria, viruses and even hard-to-kill spores.

Developed by Oculus Innovative Sciences in Petaluma, the super-oxygenated water is claimed to be as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, but is harmless to people, animals and plants. If accidentally ingested by a child, the likely impact is a bad case of clean teeth.

Oculus said the solution, called Microcyn, may prove effective in the fight against superbugs, crossover viruses like bird flu and Ebola, and bioterrorism threats such as anthrax.

The company has just been granted approval in the United States to test the solution in the treatment of wounds, and already has government approval in Europe, Canada and Mexico for diverse uses, from disinfectant to wound irrigation.

more...

A California company has figured out how to use two simple materials -- water and salt -- to create a solution that wipes out single-celled organisms, and which appears to speed healing of burns, wounds and diabetic ulcers.
    i'm not a dr or a scientist, but isn't this exactly what regular ol' saline does?

I'll be receiving some of this hopefully this week to try. I'll let everyone know of the results (going to take pictures to try and gauge as well).

Dermacyn is approved in Canada. There's Microcyn in the USA and Vetericyn for animals .. lol.

$26/bottle
    Last edited by lynnifer; 06-06-2006 at 06:20 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If it can wipe out the bad bacteria then doesn't it have potential to kill the good stuff too? I mean couldn't it do the same thing that anti-biotics do and wipe out good bacteria (i.e. in the GI tract) while killing the rest of it?
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

I wonder if it would be useful for cleaning the meatus before a cath? Just a squirt from a handy squirt bottle to replace BZK or povidine? My guess is it is not as rapid acting.

Even more interesting is if it would prevent or treat low level UTI by use as a bladder instillation. Do a cath and then squirt a little Microcyn water back up the same catheter and leave it there. Antibiotic bladder instillations have often shown promise, but end up creating a change in bug population that is usually more trouble than where you started. But if bacteria can't come up with a resistance mechanism and all are equally susceptible, microcyn might be very effective in that role. Hmm.

Correction: After speaking with the sales rep from Toronto - he sent me two free bottles at his expense to try. I told him how long I've been dealing with these pressure sores etc and he decided to absorb the cost (how nice!!).

I agreed to take pictures. He states he has a lot of confidence in this product. We shall see!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Correction: After speaking with the sales rep from Toronto - he sent me two free bottles at his expense to try. I told him how long I've been dealing with these pressure sores etc and he decided to absorb the cost (how nice!!).

I agreed to take pictures. He states he has a lot of confidence in this product. We shall see!

Fingers are crossed for you Lynnifer - wouldn't it be fantastic to find something that WORKS!

Hope this does help your problem lynnifer.
    My vet likes it. He uses it and tells his clients to use it also. He works with ALOT of paralyzed dogs.

They can get some serious drag sores in a blink of an eye. Not much meat between the hair and the bone on their little legs. He always advices to watch the dog..he says they may not be able to feel the sore..but there is nothing wrong with their noses and if they poke and lick around in a spot even if you can't see any problem..keep your eyes open cause one is developing.

Might be good for humans to have dogscanners for pre-lesions. And then you can treat them before they become a HUGE problem.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

My dog keeps trying to lick my cellulitused leg. I wonder if the water would work on this?

Kind of sounds like a medical quality Oxy-Clean type of solution. I think it's the super concentration of oxygen in Oxy-Clean that does the stain removal and germ/odor killing.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria