Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make your Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball fully programable in Vista

Lightbulb Make your Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball fully programable in Vista

Finally, a relatively easy way to program all 4 buttons of a Kensington expert mouse in Windows Vista!

1. Install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.2 driver for Vista, and tell it
    you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...indows%20Vista

2. Install free X-Mouse Button Control tool (http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/X...tonControl.htm) which allows remapping of ExpertMouse buttons

3. Run C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control (32bit Version)

4. Double-click on the mouse icon in the system tray and map your buttons

Note: The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as the left x button.

Cheers,

Justin

I actually found a way to use the Kensington Mouseworks software with Vista.

MouseWorks installs the device drivers for 'Mice and other pointing devices', but not for the 'Human Interface Devices.' Because of this, MouseWorks won't detect a Kensington device at all.

SOLUTION: Go into the device manager, update the Human Interface Device's driver to kmw_usb.sys that's included with the MouseWorks driver files.

Install mouseworks again and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Acksull
    I actually found a way to use the Kensington Mouseworks software with Vista.

MouseWorks installs the device drivers for 'Mice and other pointing devices', but not for the 'Human Interface Devices.' Because of this, MouseWorks won't detect a Kensington device at all.

SOLUTION: Go into the device manager, update the Human Interface Device's driver to kmw_usb.sys that's included with the MouseWorks driver files.

Install mouseworks again and your good to go.
    pretty much what i did. i ran setup in compatibility mode for winxp and everything works perfects

Quote Originally Posted by WADDiE
    pretty much what i did. i ran setup in compatibility mode for winxp and everything works perfects
    could you give a few more details on how to do this. i have no idea how to do this.

i love my expert mouse and am completely new to vista.

Sounds like Acksull's way is easier...i'll try it tomorrow and write up instructions...

Quote Originally Posted by rktscnc
    could you give a few more details on how to do this. i have no idea how to do this.

i love my expert mouse and am completely new to vista.
    You need to download kensington mouseworks. before you install right-click the setup and goto properties. then click the compatibility tab, check the box run this promgram in compatibility mode for: select winxp (sp2) from the drop down. click apply then ok.

next right-click again and click 'Run as administrator' this should help it install correctly and give it the proper permissions. run through setup as normal. if after setup a window popups saying it wasn't installed correctly just ignore it and don't reinstall with recommended settings.

i set this up awhile ago so i think thats how i did it. my setup works fine and all my buttons work. only thing i've noticed is that if you ever unplug the usb for your mouse make sure it goes back in the SAME port as it was in or vista wont recognize it and will try to reinstall it.

best of luck. let me know if you have any issues.

first try (your way) didn't work. i got a runtime dll error. i'll uninstall and try again.
    Last edited by rktscnc; 12-09-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Thank you. I was doing it wrong. Your instructions are perfect.

I first tried it on the zipped downloaded file, didn't work, duh.
    Unzip the downloaded file, then follow your instructions. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by rktscnc
    Thank you. I was doing it wrong. Your instructions are perfect.

I first tried it on the zipped downloaded file, didn't work, duh.
    Unzip the downloaded file, then follow your instructions. Works like a charm.
    Awesome! Enjoy

You should send this to kensington. It's an easy work-around. It could help potentially 1000's of people.

again.... much appreciated