Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any French-speakers?

Any French-speakers?

Our daughter (who recently decided to be a French major) has asked for French music for Christmas . . . not quite sure what to get her, since her taste runs to country and rock.

Can anybody recommend some good CD's in French?

She also asked for movies; we saw Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring years ago and loved 'em, so she's getting those. Other recommendations? She's a normal 19-yr-old, into chick flicks . . .

Celine Dion was a French star for over ten years before Titanic. Todd knows more. Did you know 'Under the Sea', by Bobby Darin was originally a French song?

edith piaf, tho not the genre your daughter may like, is the French icon for singers. her life is now in a movie, i hear.

I remember Todd is a big fan of Mylène Farmer, but I believe she's more pop than rock or country.
    Daniel

I recently watched The Valet (eng title of french film La Doublure), which is a hilarious romantic comedy. It stars one of my fav actors, Daniel Auteuil, who was also in Après Vous (another romantic comedy).

eta: I don't speak french, though, but people tell me that these movies are funny.
    Daniel

Kate,

If you want to get your daughter a "rock" album, try Mylène Farmer's Anamorphosée. It was her 1995 album influenced heavily by American rock reflected by her move to L.A.

http://www.amazon.com/Anamorphosee-M...6576936&sr=8-1

Mylène's other albums are not quite so rock, but more pop or electronic. However, I recommend her to your daughter anyway. I know when I discovered Mylène Farmer in Autumn of 2002, I had the time of my life discovering her catalog and her eccentric world of dark poetic lyrics, upscale music videos, and awesome theatrical concerts.

As for French films, you must at least get her Amélie.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    edith piaf, tho not the genre your daughter may like, is the French icon for singers. her life is now in a movie, i hear.
    Édith Piaf's appeal to younger generations will certainly be more miniscule, unless one loves the works of classical artists.

The film is excellent and is released in the US as La vie en rose.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    Celine Dion was a French star for over ten years before Titanic. Todd knows more. Did you know 'Under the Sea', by Bobby Darin was originally a French song?
    Actually, Céline was an English star for almost a decade before Titanic. Céline released her first French album in Canada in the early 80's, then her English debut in 1990 with the hit Where Does My Heart Beat Now? Céline didn't reach her peak until 1996 with Falling Into You. Her peak was only heightened even more by the most played song in history My Heart Will Go On, theme to the biggest film in history Titanic. It's amazing how big both she and the film were when you think of their present status as yesterday's fad.

One artist i would REALLy recommend is Harmonium, as well Grimskunk.. grimskunk is a little more punk rock, but harmonium was a soft rock group in the 70s or 80s. Really good!
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain ." Bob Marley

I'd recommend Emilie Simon's The Flower Book. Brilliant electropop.
    I've just discovered how wonderful she is, although she has been mentioned on CC before.

Biography and samples -
    http://www.last.fm/music/Emilie+Simon

Emilie does use some English in some of her songs, but from what I can tell, she sings mainly in French. She's 29, and hugely talented.