Thread: SP slling?

Question SP slling?

what is a SP sling, and where does it go???

i searched carecure and found these answers:
    a) a sling goes in the urethra.
    b) a sling goes through the belly button.
    c) a sling goes inside the bladder.

i'm 51, 33 years post-injury, peri-menopausal, and have used a 22 indwelling foley for years. i've started having leaking problems when i lie on my side - i don't leak when i'm sitting or lying flat on my back. besides the obvious messiness, i'm worried about the integrity of my skin.

a SP catheter seems like the perfect solution. is the procedure complicated, and what is a sling???

thank u!
    "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
    AccessibleProperties

getting an SP isn't complicated at all, imo. i had no problems and it's the best thing i coulda done.

never heard of a sling.

google "suprapubic urethral sling" for more info maybe?
    i have had a suprapubic (sp) with a urethral sling (us) for several years and do not leak. my uro said the us is very similar to the procedure they do on some older women who have stress incontenance. it has worked well for me as my sp doesn't leak. (i "think" kld recommended it back before my sp surgery to prevent leakage.)

here's a link that explains the procedure in simple language.
    http://www.netwellness.org/ency/article/002992.htm

it can be done on guys too.

my fingers aren't working well today so i'll close by suggesting to google "suprapubic urethral sling" for more info maybe?

Smile thank u!

thank u so much, pwms! i'll go googling now!
    "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
    AccessibleProperties

HI,

Let me know if you have further questions once you search the topic.

AAD

i just did a search on the care cure forums, using the words "urethral sling" and found TONS of info/posts. here's just one, by nurse kld:

A urethral sling is used (primarily for women) to increase the angle between the bladder and urethra, which reduces leakage. It is often used for women who have had children, bladder or uterine prolapse, or long term use of indwelling urethral catheters.

It should be used very cautiously for women with a neurogenic bladder, as it increases resistance and can cause increased bladder pressures. If combined with a SP catheter, this is less of a concern. Slings can be done with your own muscle, or with artificial material (usually Dacron). It is pelvic surgery, and on women is usually done through either the vagina or through a small suprapubic incision (or both).

Here is a short article and diagram of the sling procedure:

http://www.nj.com/specialprojects/in...graphic13.html

(KLD)

Thanks I've googled, looked at your link and still unsure.

So is it surgery to align the bladder and urethra in a proper position so the sp will work properly?
    For those that are having leakage.
    While other's sp work okay w/o it?