Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stem cells target paralysis

Manouli,

Thanx. Just stem cells alone will affect little, if any cure, in a long term chronic injury site. If you are going to call, find out if the cells are fully differentiated, and if so, what they are differentiated in to.

One of the main problems (for chronics) is growing axons through the injury site. I would be surprised if Neuralstem has been able to accomplish this feat.

This is all very exciting. Just to hear talk of upcoming 'human' clinical trials is very good news. I wonder if the 'Holy Grail' discovery with asc will help these people tweak their product at all?
    Here's Hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Is this upcoming human trial for acutes or chronics?
    I emailed and asked and also invited them to CC.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I Called The Company But All I Got Was A Voice Mail Im Gonna Try Again Tommrow

We Can Come Up With Our Own Money For This Company If They Are Serious......if They Are For Sure And Cazn Back Up What They Say They Can Do With These Stem Cells Then We Need To Give Them The Fire Power They Need To Move Forward Even If We Gotta Take It Out The Country To Get Around The Fda..

Got this answer from Mr. Garr, and he said he'd try to drop by CC.

-------------------------------------------------------
    As for your friends question, we believe that our cells will be able to
    provide benefits in both chronic and acute situations. There are different
    mechanisms involved in each, but a role for the cells nonetheless. I know
    that other companies are talking about acute only, and it's unclear to me
    whether our first trial for traumatic injury will be in acute or chronic
    patients. But certainly we believe ultimately we will treat both.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.biospace.com/company_prof...mpanyId=414415

This place is in Maryland right? Maybe our member Sue P would go check them out?

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Leo

This place is in Maryland right? Maybe our member Sue P would go check them out?

LEO, let's support this company seriously! That's good news when no other companies are going for both. I wrote them and called them, I know they are busy. Let's all be sure we grab this opportunity to speed things up. Come on everybody here! Let's move it or lose it.

manouli.

Hi Leo,

I think it best I stay out of this thread specifically because NeuralStem is in Maryland. While I am the chair of Maryland Walks, a grassroots group; I am also a sworn commissioned officer of the State of Maryland as a member of the Maryland State Spinal Cord Injury Research Board. Governor O'Malley has not involved our funds in the recent special session to balance the state's budget. This means that come spring a request for proposals will be sent out to universities, institutes, private and public companies and individuals to request up to $200,000 over 2 years for cure directed or neuro-protective grants. I do not want to have any private conversations or messages with a principal of a company in Maryland who may apply for one of the grants. After peer-review I have to vote on the grants along with the other 10 members of the board. I do not want even the appearence of a conflict of interest other than I would like to see a cure of spinal paralysis.

I do hope Mr Garr will stop by and tell us where they are with research and when they hope to begin any trials. Put I don't feel it's proper for me to contact him.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I understand Sue,

Have you guy's given them any grants yet and if so those grant apps are public or not?

I understand Sue,

Have you guy's given them any grants yet and if so those grant apps are public or not?
    I haven't seen any grant requests yet and I was appointed with the first board in 2000. The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene tend to release a press piece naming grant winners.

ETA: http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/publ-rel...7/pr022707.htm

Note: Grant 1 is a comparison of sooner rather than later decompression in central cord syndrome and is in human trials. Also in human trial is the aggressive blood pressure management grant request. Dr McDonald's study is self explanatory and the last deals specifically with the scar and crossing it.

At the bottom of the page someone added the word "rehabilitaion". That is not in the law. No better wheelchairs, no making babies and no pain studies. It confines funding solely to SCI cure directed or neuroprotective research and therapies only.

Leo, the non-voting board meetings are open to the public. All publications resulting from a grant must mention us. :-) You may remember a publication in the Journel of Neuroscience by Juanita Anders, PhD on purified OEGs and I believe we also funded one of her first studies using lasers for regeneration. You should be able to contact Paul Patrick at DHMH for past year grants. Our funding was cut from $1 million a year to $500,000 a year by Governor Erlich, R, in 2006. I'm working on it as Chair of Maryland Walks. Governor O'Malley has added another $12 million for 2009 in the session beginning in January for a seperate board for stem cell research. Fiscal 2009 begins July 1, 2008 BTW.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 12-07-2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.