Thread: It gave me hope!

Smile It gave me hope!

Just sitting in my bedroom I just noticed something that brought a smile to my face (as it always does).

When I was in hospital I had many visitors, got all sorts of cards and gifts from friends, family, teachers and people I hardly knew! But there was one gift that I recieved that stood out from all the others and that I still cherish to this day.
    One of my best friends had taken a piece of wood and cut it into a circle and painted it white with a red border. He made a pole from a piece of plastic tubing to support it and used a CD as a base. It looked like a (British) road sign. The front of it simply reads "GOOD".

Anyway this "good sign" sat next to my hospital bed over the weeks as I started to recover (sometimes in the back of my mind I think I would not be walking without it), it sat on my shelf when I went through the darkest depression always reminding a small part of me to stay strong and now it sits on my desk and brings a smile to my face every time I notice it.
    To me it says "there is always someone who cares". It represents the humour in the face of adversity that my friends and I pride ourselves on. It shows to me that you should always strive to make something more than the sum of its parts!

Does anyone else have any similar stories?
    (sorry for the cheesiness of this thread!)

Here's the piece of plastic and wood that probably cost no more than £2 and a bit of handiwork but is priceless to me:

That's cool. When I was first in hospital, before they transferred me to a spinal unit, I was flat on my back on an old bed with a frame over it. I couldn't see the TV and my friend Scott was worried I would get bored.

He bought me a massive poster with flags of the world on it and rigged it to the frame about 4ft above my face.

I used to lie awake at night studying them. Whenever I see an obscure national flag it makes me think fondly of that map and the bizarre but kind gesture of my friend.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by UKsufferer
    Here's the piece of plastic and wood that probably cost no more than £2 and a bit of handiwork but is priceless to me
    That's pretty cool. That would make me smile, too.

C.

You sound like you have some sweet friends - sometimes the simplest gestures mean the most. Like you, I'm lucky to have good friends, but the thing that stood out the most was something that my parents organised.

After 6 weeks in ICU I was finally upright and waiting for a place in a spinal unit [which was 2hrs away], my dad took me to the hospital foyer and to my surprise my mum was there with a cat carrier. They'd brought my cat Flossy Teacake down to see me - against health and safety I'm sure but it stayed with me for months until I was home again

A little beanbag polar bear my 11 yr old son brought me. It came with jellybeans which I gave him, as he knew I would. The jellybeans probably decided him on the gift!

Aren't we lucky? Just that somebody cared?

I was still in rehab on Christmas. One of my sisters flew in from Cal and brought 2 white teddy bears, one normal size and the other one was huge. I'm thinking, "I'm 47, wtf with the teddy bears?"

She said the little one was to stay and watch over me for her. Then, with a wicked grin, she handed me the big one, it weighed a ton! It was sitting on my belly as I was trying to figure out how it could weigh so much. I ran my hands on/around and the lightbulb went "on". The Bowling Ball!!!

We have had a long standing family gag gift, starting back in the 70's. One b-i-l used to work with bowling stuff and he gave my dad this "finger trial"(has shitloads of different size holes to get right size for you) bowling ball, engraved with his name, as a gag gift. Ever since, on any given occasion, the bowling ball has turned up as a gift. The only requirements, the name and date has to be enscribed on it, and it must be disguised as something else/meaningful. It is almost a family treasure by now.

She had unsewn and emptied most of the stuffing, then resewn the teddy bear together with the ball inside. The fact that she did this and flew to Tx to give it to me, still makes me smile and happy.

Still working on who gets it next.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks for the comments guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry
    After 6 weeks in ICU I was finally upright and waiting for a place in a spinal unit [which was 2hrs away], my dad took me to the hospital foyer and to my surprise my mum was there with a cat carrier. They'd brought my cat Flossy Teacake down to see me - against health and safety I'm sure but it stayed with me for months until I was home again
    I like that. I would've loved a pet in hospital, for most of my time there I was in my own room and due to my blood pressure I couldn't even get in a wheel chair for a good few weeks so when I didn't have visitors it could get a bit lonely. Flossy Teacake though? Poor cat! (Kidding :P)

A little beanbag polar bear my 11 yr old son brought me. It came with jellybeans which I gave him, as he knew I would. The jellybeans probably decided him on the gift!

Aren't we lucky? Just that somebody cared?
    I think jellybeans would decide me on a gift too

She had unsewn and emptied most of the stuffing, then resewn the teddy bear together with the ball inside. The fact that she did this and flew to Tx to give it to me, still makes me smile and happy.
    These are my favourite kind of gift sometimes. Gifts that prey on my own stupid humour that tell me my friends know me too well! I forgot to mention that the other gift I recieved from this friend was a fart in a jar. I didn't keep that one for too long!

A coworker / friend came in to the hospital and gave a small, rounded pale stone and told me a story.

He had gone to Israel with his family. On one of the tours, the guide pulled the bus to the side of the road, and had them walk a ways off to a dried up stream bed.

Then he told them the story of David vs Goliath, and claimed that historians believed that it the event had taken place where they were standing.

My coworker took 5 stones from the stream bed and brought them back to the US.

He gave one to me.

Other things that meant a lot, and are more fitting with the theme of this thread include a string of "Jolly Roger" stickers that I stuck to my clamshell and a copy of The River Why that my wife read to me.

-- JB

Quote Originally Posted by UKsufferer
    I like that. I would've loved a pet in hospital, for most of my time there I was in my own room and due to my blood pressure I couldn't even get in a wheel chair for a good few weeks so when I didn't have visitors it could get a bit lonely. Flossy Teacake though? Poor cat! (Kidding :P)
    Arrrgh the dreaded blood pressure - felt like it would never right itself didn't it? Hey.........she suits it, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry
    Arrrgh the dreaded blood pressure - felt like it would never right itself didn't it? Hey.........she suits it, honest!
    I can't say I enjoyed it, I almost blacked out when I was finally allowed my first proper shower.
    On the other hand there was another part of me that very much appreciated a completely guilt free lie-in for several weeks!