Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spinal cord injury and hip fracture

I am wondering how you "rehab a SCI"? I work with many people with SCI in rehabilitation, but never have I seen someone work only with the SCI.

Not sure why you pulled this topic up to the top, but if you are attempting to advertise your practice, that is definitely NOT allowed on these forums, and such messages will be removed.

One person is not an lot of history to try to establish yourself as an expert on hip fractures and people with SCI.

(KLD)

Hip fracture splinting

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Hi pmd,

I have had this same experience with orthopedists wanting to treat these fractures conservatively, without surgery but with splinting and immobility.
    This is due to both the surgical risk and mainly because of a SCI persons limited mobility- the extremity is usually not overtaxed by excessive movement. I have seen these hip fractures successfully heal without surgery.

AAD

The above message noted splinting. Can anyone suggest a splint to stabilize a hip fracture on quadriplegic? Thanks!

There are no safe ones that I am aware of. Splints are often used for lower femur and upper tibial fractures, but rarely for the hip as they are neither effective nor safe (many skin problems).

Years ago I knew of several people with SCI who were treated with hip spica casts, which are hard casts that go from the arm pits to to just below the knee on the involved side. Horrible skin problems and contractures were common, and generally they required bedrest for 8-12 weeks. Thank goodness we don't see these anymore.

(KLD)

My left hip has been broken since. July 4th 2012. I went in on three sperate occasions to get an aritficial hip installed but was cancelled due to uti's. Now they are saying tough shit we cant do anything for you, although mine hurts like hell, it dwarfs' sci as far as pain goes.

This thread is kinda old but I recently broke my hip, subcapital fracture with slight dislocation. Is it still the best course to just live with it? Or has hip replacement becoming easier with less possible complications with advancements in medicine? My ortho is not recommending surgery. Its been a month now. not much pain except when straightening the leg. just a little discomfort when sitting. Main issue is my spasms in the injured leg have gotten much worse and are affecting my ADL's, working and driving. spasms like I never had before. also its made my weight shifts more difficult which I guess is currently my biggest worry. Think its giving me a slight case of dysreflexia, mainly sweating above my injury level (c5-c6) mainly at night if I can't get the leg in just the right position. Will this go away with time? Not sure how worried I should be about it. I have a standing chair that I am guessing I will not be able to use ever again. overall I really haven't made a\many changes to my day to day activities..ie, tranfers, (with a transfer board) work, etc. should I? any suggestions/comments would be welcome.

I have been a quad since 1979. I have been blessed to have had relatively few of the many possible complications. I am afraid with this break I have started on a slippery slope to declining health with my age creeping up and all these years as a quad.

they are doing anterior replacements now a days which is supposed to be much easier. if your still having issues i suggest you ask about doing this type of surgery. it generally is day surgery or it is now at my local hospital. my father had one done a couple of years ago and was push mowing our lawn 2 days later. mind you he is not sci but it is a fairly easy surgery these days.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I had the right hip replaced back in 2014 in FL, don't know if they were doing anterior at that point, would have made my recovery easier. It was supposed to be 2 weeks of rehab, which turned out to be a nursing home...which didn't start off very well. Because the transfer was done in the evening, they didn't have any of the meds that I was on and said they could not get them till the morning. Really??? Within a few hrs I was dealing with 9 outa 10 pain. I'm not usually a pain in the ass, but as the hrs went on I was livid. I was ready to call a friggin cab to take me home.

They finally called a supervisor who said to give me 2 percocets from their emergency box. Didn't do much, as I was on MS Contin 30 TID and percs for break thru. Finally nodded off around 3am, only to have a lab person come in at 4 for blood. Really, in a nursing home? I'm a very light sleeper, so by the end of the 1st week...sleep deprivation. Told them I wanted to talk with the doc about being discharged...I was blown off. I hated it there, talk about feeling out of place, everyone was over 80+. I was 58 at the time. I was doing great in PT, told them I wanted out by mid week...2 weeks was ridiculous. Guess they took me seriously this time, cause I did go home midweek.

Fast forward to late 2018, now the left one is bone on bone...so they want to replace. I said it would have to wait till spring as I live on the driveway from hell. I have a jeep, so 3 seasons it's doable, it's not usable in the winter, and walking up that hill was out of the question.

I definitely want to go the anterior route, glad to hear your dad did well with it.....I also had a friend that had it, and she also had good things to say about it...don't know if they will let me do it and go home the same day, as I live alone with a 4 legged kid...but I know that I'm not going to do a nursing home again.

as i said if they do the anterior approach it is basically day surgery if you have help, however he didn't even need help or a walker or crutches afterward. i was home and he was restricted to driving basically because of the pain meds. but he only took 1 of them. then used tylenol or ibprophen the rest of the time. it may be feasible if you have someone who can stay with you at least the first couple of nights to make sure you are ok and do shopping and such if needed.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I don't tend to come off the hill much in the winter, usually once a month. I've been l lucky this winter as I'm still parked up top as we've only gotten a little snow, but that's ending lol, as we've got 12-24" starting tomorrow night...so it's time to move it down.
    I've got a great neighbor that I can call to grab me a few things at the grocery store if needed, she called me earlier today to see if I needed anything as they were going to the store to get some last minute stuff before the snow hits.

Don't have anyone I can get to stay here...since I'm no longer in NH, most are too far away or working. I already use forearm crutches and/or a wheelchair, and still have the walker I can pull out if needed for after the surgery.
    If I run into any serious problems I have a 911 Help Now emergency pendant that my last doc suggested getting because of severe hypoglycemia (39) so hopefully I'll have all bases covered.

I will quiz the ortho on anterior replacement and see what he says. I have to see about upping my meds to try to calm down the muscle spasms. they are not helpful when trying to heal up anything. the only surgery I ever had was when they fixed my neck after my accident. should I be concerned about dysreflexia during surgery? thx for the replies.