Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for additional FORUM

Thanks for the very good input all of you and if it remains just part of the life section so be it. But hear me out on a few things.

Films can educate the public and bring awareness. Get the film industry or music industry interested in your cause and there is a lot of power behind that.

Darius Goes West won best film at this year's Cleveland International Film Festival.
    Darius Weems, a 15-year-old with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, had never left his hometown of Athens, Georgia. In the summer of 2005, he and a group of young college students traveled across the country in a wheelchair-accessible RV to test accessibility in the United States. Their ultimate goal was to reach Los Angeles and convince MTV's hit show, "Pimp My Ride," to customize Darius's wheelchair. Along the way, they found joy, brotherhood, and the knowledge that life, even when imperfect, is always worth the ride.

It's won 15 awards across the country !!!
    And there is something big about it coming up but I don't remember what.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979869/

And films might not be everybody's interest and not every film is related to sci.
    Many discussions here start with sci and life issues but often they start sounding unrelated or just people sharing and discussing things not associated with wheelchairs and stuff. I know if it were created it wouldn't necessarily be a high trafficked area, but it might provide some relief to depression or something.

I have participated in general film forum discussions elsewhere. The unfortunate thing is if you think this place gets swamped with trolls, you should see those places. People being at a site for different reasons is one thing (aside from those who mistreat the reason for coming here) but people there make the whole site unusable. It's less apparent at specific fan sites of actors (m/f) or films, but then it's just all about one person or one film. Here we have a variety of ages, sexes, races, orientations, religions, cultures, and significantly well behaved interesting people.

Here is how one movie site describes a troll. I left using the site 2 years ago because you couldn't carry on a conversation normally.

A `troll' is an individual who enjoys creating conflict on the internet. He or she creates and fuels arguments which upset other members of the online community.
    Trolls thrive in the anonymous space that is the internet. Trolls crave attention from others, and they don't care whether the attention is positive or negative. For trolls, other users are not quite real people; they are abstract characters on the other side of a computer screen. Trolls don't feel bad about hurting the feelings of other people in the digital space.
    Trolls view chat rooms and newsgroups as a challenge where the winner is the user who creates the biggest argument, the user who upsets the most people in the most dramatic way. A troll wants to be the user getting the most attention.
    Troll behavior discourages many users and makes for a less vibrant online community. New users may not post because they fear ridicule. Established posters may leave an online community because the noise has overwhelmed the real discussion. Trolls can make an entire community paranoid, leading users to become negative or to accuse a user engaged in normal criticism as a troll.

I see your point about the forums all being related to sci except maybe the computer forum if it's sci related computers only wouldn't that have been handled under equipment? I haven't gone into either of those forums so I'm commenting blind and I apologize for any stupidity for not knowing etc. But at least movies can do more for sci than stamp collecting (even though I see that point as well).

And the reason behind giving it its own forum was because movies can be categorized so many different ways and the exponential aspect is HUGE. Think of trying to find a thread about a movie you want to discuss but you're not sure if it's been talked about yet - it's sort of like having all the pages of a Harry Potter book (lots of page numbers - reason for it being the example) spill out separately and scatter and you were on page 42 - someone's swept them up for you but stuffed them back but out of order.

The subcategories would be the help organize it for simplicity - the threads aren't the subcategories but rather the topics specific.
    Here are TWO examples of how I was thinking about it. (they're side by side)

I do enjoy films and think there is much to learn from them and if a documentary is done properly governments can be moved to fix a serious issue. Maybe within the forum a connection can be made between those with a story to tell and someone who knows mainstream film makers.

Sorry babyccc - I'm not talking your kind of film.

For instance, I got to meet Don Cheadle and John Prendergast who have been campaigning for Darfur. I personally know one of the Lost Boys living in Cleveland. Next week I might get to meet Paul Rusesabagina at a dinner. Would all those things happen if the film wasn't made?

Another point is - that film was made basically 4 years ago and there still is momentum, interest, and action. Films can cultivate and help spark interests in serious matters.

No one here may have the connections to get a film made to address the issues or injustices sci face, but I (personally) know publications and film industry people do lurk at sites and the forum discussion may spark one of those film makers (with money to burn and a desire to make the next great documentary) to set something in motion.

I just have seen the power of film at work !!!
    Sorry - it gets me motivated.

Maybe I should just start a website for it and those from here and other places who want to visit can. If anyone out there can help me with a webdesign concept and talent for creating such a thing - send me a PM.

It's taken me a while to write this and create my visual aid - so some have posted after I started this.

Sounds like LIFE section would be best for the Care Cure Community.

But I appreciate people letting me express myself on this topic.

Darrel - I'll still chant *movies movies movies* with you but I don't want to make it a big issue if Wise doesn't think it flows with his site.
    Some good points on both sides were brought up.

I wasn't completely alone on the pro-movie forum idea - - - Darrel stepped in

Beth, for what it is worth, I agree with you that a movie forum here would be nice to have. Certainly there are many other threads that have little or nothing to do with SCI and they seem to be contributed to quite regularly (and sometimes heatedly). There is another reason I think it might actually have an occasional disability focust or slant to it, even when it is a mainstream movie that doesn't seem to have that focus. For example, I went to see Beowulf yesterday, and while one could write about the move, its deviation from the text, the use of computer generated images, one could ALSO write about Grendle, perceived to be a monster by the outer world, but loved by his mother despite his physical deformities. I am sure there are other examples of this sort of thing in moves that seemingly have nothing to do with disabilities, but that is the one I just saw.

you failed to mention...was it any good?

Darrel, I did think the movie was good, although I never quite got past the computer imagery. The cast was Anthony Hopkins (who I adore), Angelia Jolie, and John Malkovich. The computer images did look just like them, with the exception of the eyes, which apparently even today's technology can't faithfully duplicate. The eyes looked a bit lifeless, with no spark or reflection. I think it is an interesting concept to make a film like this, but I also hope it is not some trend for the future. I do understand that by using the computer generated images the actors could simply read their lines, probably in a day or a week, and that no big location costs were incurred, to say nothing of probably getting a couple of scenes of an essentially naked Angelina Jolie past the censors. It was her.....but it wasn't her really, only a computer replicate covered in nothing but a little gold paint. The scene of Grendle's mom mourning his death was an exploration into the heart of maternal love. I would give it two slightly contracted thumbs up

Thanks Eileen!

See!!!
    Cool

I haven't seen the film yet and I don't read books. (I know - bad Beth, very bad)
    But things like that can be educational for children to learn at an early age that disabilities are all around us and some are more obvious than others.

The X-Men (had Patrick Stewart in a chair)
    The Mighty (Culkin's character)
    I am Sam (Penn's disability)
    Pay It Forward (disfigurement)
    Benny and Joon (disability)
    Forest Gump (ran out of leg braces, Lt. Dan becomes an amputee)
    Men of Honor (amputee)
    The Other Sister (disability living in the real world)
    The Other Side of the Mountain (sci) grab a potato chip without breaking it - I'll never forget that scene !!
    Mask (Eric's role - that's just like the Grendle/mom scenario)
    The Billy Jack films (racial discrimination and politics)

I don't know if you were going this route or not - but your post sparked some titles into my head.

Maybe one day it will be common place to see more chairs in films and watching sitcoms that involve 'Friends' that have this obstacle to deal with - so that no one thinks to stare when they see a chair in their every day life?

Going with the "Friends" theme - - -
    Maybe a scene where Monica is planning a new friend's wedding calling reception halls to book the 'date', the words are spoken off camera from Phoebe, "don't forget to make sure they're ADA compliant" since Mike is now sci when she flipped her grandmother's taxi several times.

The undercurrent of the scene would be a means to educate and wake ab people up and realize - "shit! my house is not wheelchair friendly. Dammit, I've got to remedy that". blah blah blah

Little steps.
    Maybe that person will notice local restaurants not w/c friendly and mention it to the manager or the local paper.
    Snowball effect.
    Educate them without them even knowing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    I do understand that by using the computer generated images the actors could simply read their lines, probably in a day or a week, and that no big location costs were incurred, to say nothing of probably getting a couple of scenes of an essentially naked Angelina Jolie past the censors.
    Actor's pay scale would go down and those superstars won't let that happen!!!!!

You made me smile with your post !!!!

I noticed on your list, "I am Sam". That was an excellent movie. The soundtrack was good too (Beatles). I'd give it 5 out of 5, and Penn was amazing, and he has a cool first name!

It would be wonderful if the disabled became more mainstream in films and media in general. I have long had a fantasy that some woman (or man) in a commercial would be taking her/his laundry out of the dryer and commenting on the cleanliness or some other mundane day-to-day existence activity. No mention of the wheelchair, no specialized setting, just an average gimp doing the laundry. In a way I think if there was enough of a momentum in that sort of thing (as opposed to the "OMG, What an inspiration that crip is!") the world might progress a lot more quickly to the realization that we are all the same, and that we are not all either trying to scale Mount Everest, but instead dealing with the same silly issues they deal with.

EXACTLY !!

I love that idea

Maybe WE can work on making that happen.

The other disability movie that I just HAVE to mention is 'Rory O'Shea Was Here.' It is one of the best movies I have ever seen, period. It is an Irish film, a story about the fight for independent living by two young men who become friends in a group home for the disabled. One is dealing with a progressive neuromuscular disease and is quadrapegic, and the other is CP, with badly affected speech. Together they pull off what everyone else had deemed impossible. It is a buddy film in the best sense of the word, it is also a love story, and it is a story about loving and having to let go. If you can watch it without tears I would be amazed, but there are just as many places in the film where you are practically laughing out loud. I would highly recommend it. I know it is an Irish film, but I would think it might be available on Netflix. It shows up periodically on HBO also.