Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bladder operation...need help

bladder operation...need help

Hi,

My urologist says that my urethra is streching which is causing my catheter to leak so he wants to do an operation where he creates a sling and then inserts a suprapubic tube. I am a T8 incomplete injury and I have had a lot of problems with leaking from the catheter. But I am apprehensive about this oepration. I am worried that even with the sling and the suprapubic tube, there will still be leakage through the urethra. And now whent here is a problem with the indwelling foley catheter, i can fix it myself. But with a suprapubic tube, doesn't the doctor have to fix it. I could use any advice that anyone has to offer. Also if anyone has had this operation, please tell me about you experience. Or if you had a different operation instead of this one, please tell me about it. Thanks, Nikki

I have had a supra pubic catheter, with a sling for over three years. To date I have had no leakage from my urethra or my stoma. I thought the purpose of the sling was to prevent leakage from the urethra? I may be wrong but that's what I was told.

hi nikki

hi nikki, ive been a spinalcord injury c6 level for going on 17 years now. and i have a external foley cath, i only leak if i have a bladder infection or if my tubes been pulled. it also can leak if you are stressed out and tight in your bladder. stay away from stress if possible. and i also take 1500 hundred mgr natual vitamin c everyday with breakfast its crannberry extract and its very good for you. as far as superpubic caths i was told to hold out as long as i could. before getting one because everyone i know that has one tells me they always leak and never heal up and they said that they burn too. take care. jod
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiR8481
    Hi,

My urologist says that my urethra is streching which is causing my catheter to leak so he wants to do an operation where he creates a sling and then inserts a suprapubic tube. I am a T8 incomplete injury and I have had a lot of problems with leaking from the catheter. But I am apprehensive about this oepration. I am worried that even with the sling and the suprapubic tube, there will still be leakage through the urethra. And now whent here is a problem with the indwelling foley catheter, i can fix it myself. But with a suprapubic tube, doesn't the doctor have to fix it. I could use any advice that anyone has to offer. Also if anyone has had this operation, please tell me about you experience. Or if you had a different operation instead of this one, please tell me about it. Thanks, Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I would search sling procedure on carecure and you will get several dialogues, though it seems you are on some of these.
    Yes, initially after the sp tube is put in, the doctor will "advance the size of the sp tube" and the doctor will need to do these. But once a correct size is determined, you or your caregiver can be taught how to change the sp tube, much like you are probaly doing for the urethral catheter.

Leaking afater sp tube can be a problem but it can usually be remedied by anticholinergic medications and this usually resolves as the healing process occurs.
    Let's see what others have to say about their experience.

AAD

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiR8481
    Hi,

Nikki,

You do not need to be afraid. The suprapubic is better and safer than the foley. It is actually easier to manipulate than a urethral foley catheter. Finally, a sling does work in reducing incontinence (leak). It is a relatively minimal procedure that does not involve taking out anything or incapacitating any function. It will help. I think that it is the right procedure.

I am not quite sure what you don't understand and please ask questions.

Wise.

Hope it goes well and the leakage stops!

What's a sling? I'm lost~

Question SCI nurse? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    What's a sling? I'm lost~
    so am i - what is a sling, and where does it go???

i searched carecure and found these answers:
    a) a sling goes in the urethra.
    b) a sling goes through the belly button.
    c) a sling goes inside the bladder.

i'm 51, 33 years post-injury, peri-menopausal, and have used a 22 indwelling foley for years. i've started having leaking problems when i lie on my side - i don't leak when i'm sitting or lying flat on my back. besides the obvious messiness, i'm worried about the integrity of my skin.

a SP catheter seems like the perfect answer. is the procedure complicated, and what is a sling??? thank u!
    "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
    AccessibleProperties

Still curious.

I have a sp catheter but no sling.
    I leak some.
    Would a sling help?

google "suprapubic urethral sling" for more info maybe?

i have had a suprapubic (sp) with a urethral sling (us) for several years and do not leak. my uro said the us is very similar to the procedure they do on some older women who have stress incontenance. it has worked well for me as my sp doesn't leak. (i "think" kld recommended it back before my sp surgery to prevent leakage.)

here's a link that explains the procedure in simple language.
    http://www.netwellness.org/ency/article/002992.htm

it can be done on guys too.

my fingers aren't working well today so i'll close by suggesting to google "suprapubic urethral sling" for more info maybe?

can i ask nurses or Dr. Young if a sling can be put in after an sp catheter has been made already?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson