Thread: Rehab Delay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rehab Institute of St. Louis

Has anyone attended this rehab center? I've been told that this is where Chris Reeves went for his rehab and they are associated with Washington University School of Medicine, where they do a lot of SCI research, and with Chris Reeves hospital in Chicago--they apparently work in tandem trying to find a cure, etc. for SCI.
    But, I want to know the quality of care received there and if it meets the needs of its patients? Or, if anyone had a bad experience there...what was it and why did it adversely affect them?
    Thank you,
    Debby, Troy's mom

debby i went there and still do on ocasion the people are great no complaints from me the therapist are awsome very friendly helpful people my experience was good ther i give a a plus but thats just my opinion
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Christopher Reeve went to Kessler Institute for Rehab in NJ for his rehab, not to St. Louis. He did do some work in St. Louis as an outpatient when John W. McDonald, M.D., Ph.D was there, but that was a long time ago, and the doctor has since relocated to Baltimore.

Not sure what you mean by Christopher Reeve hospital in Chicago. Perhaps you mean Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago (which does not do SCI care)? Perhaps RIC (Rehab Institute of Chicago) which does SCI care but has no association with Christopher Reeve.

(KLD)

Not sure what I mean either...just something that was said to me and I should have researched it before repeating it.
    Thanks,
    Debby

Actually, I think they may have meant that Wash U has an affiliation with the Christopher Reeves Foundation. Don't know where Chicago came from.

Christopher and Dana Reeve (not Reeves) Paralysis Foundation: www.paralysis.org

Lots of good information available there.

(KLD)

I'm not sure how i can help you with the medicaid situation, but i did my rehab at the rehab institute in stl, and i had a great experience with their program. No matter how much time you have with them, they will try to do as much as they can in that time. I also suggest you and your family be as involved as possible in your son's recovery, it really helped me with mine. Let me know if I can help you with anything about the rehab institute.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Thank you

He'll be going to the rehab institute early this week. Karen Reeve from there is going to see him tomorrow and he should go either Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm really glad he's going there...I researched the rehabs in the area to find the one that would meet his needs the best.
    I did not want a place that focused on teaching him to live within the disabilities...but to go beyond them as far as he could and that is why I want him to have more than 30 days of rehab. I know that in order for him to get as much as possible that he needs 60-90 days of rehab, but medicaid in this area doesn't allow facilities to do any more than the 30 days...they don't have it set up where they can do month by month approvals.
    That's why I need to know if there's a facility that he can go to after his time here that is closer than 211 miles away that will give him the rehab that he needs. He's only 21 and his recovery should not be limited by government bureaucracy--but on his ability to go beyond his disabilities and become a more productive part of society.
    Debby, Troy's mom
    Debby, Troy's mom

I totally agree, I'm sure you know to ask Karen about your options, maybe she can give you information on other facilities or maybe some sort of extended outpatient program at the least...I'm sorry I wish I could be more help!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Unfortunately, each state is free to set its limits for what amount of rehab they pay for (if at all) under their Medicaid program. It is most unusual to be able to get exceptions to this, although you can certain try to appeal. The Medicaid program is not a replacement for having private insurance, but a safety net for those who choose to be uninsured. It will never provide the same level of services you can get as either private pay or private insurance.

A month is not bad...the average LOS for acute rehab nationally now (regardless of funding) is about 18 days for paraplegia and 34 days for tetraplegia. An outpatient program should then be continued, either a home after instruction on the inpatient unit, or through their own outpatient services ideally.

It will be important for you both to maximize the benefit he can get for the days he will get paid for...attend every session, class, counseling session, etc., don't refuse anything. Get handouts, read them and ask questions. Start from the first day to plan for discharge so you will be prepared (get the home eval done early, and get bids for remodeling or construction done immediately). Get equipment (wheelchairs, commodes, etc.) ordered as soon as possible. Meet with his team the first week and agree on goals that must be met for a safe discharge and continuation in an outpatient program.

(KLD)