Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left arm numb at times

Left arm numb at times

My left arm feels numb at times. Especially when I have it in a certain position. My fingers tips on my left hand feel like niddles are pricking them when my left arm goes numb. It has been bothering me more and more lately and seems to be just getting worse. I think it started happening after I slept on my stomach one night and when I woke up my left arm was totally numb. I couldn't feel anything in my left arm and I had to start flexing my hand to get the feeling back. Has anyone had these symptoms before and what is the cause. I think it might be a pinched nerve, but not for sure. Any ideas on what I should do and what might be my problem?

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, this is pretty much my norm. My doctor said there is now some arthritic changes to my cervical spine, in part he thinks because of the original damage. Not that it cause it exactly, as much as it hastened the aging process in that area. I have compression of the root nerves and have times, especially on waking, when it feels like nothing will move at all. I have to sort of gradually get my arms functioning again, or at least as well as they function normally. An MRI would show a pinched nerve, so you might want to go that route. I take ultram for the pain, and I have had a couple of cortisone shots too. The shots hurt like hell though, so I would save that as a later option if you need it.

Dan, it's a good idea to get changes in your neurological condition checked out. Could be that your posture is compressing some nerve and causing some inflammation. Could be something entirely different. Your doc will probably order some tests (like imaging or emg).
    Daniel

Thank you

I just changed jobs and I'm waiting for my insurance to kick in before I go to the doctor's office. I will probably go in a couple of weeks and see what the doctor can do for me. Is there anything the doctor can do or I should be doing to try to get rid of this numbness? Can a doctor un-pinch a nerve?

My right arm feels numb at times. The joy of quadhood.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

My PT gave me some exercises to strenghten up the muscles in my back, as my shoulder is slightly dropped. If I do them regularly it keeps the nerve from getting pinched. Sitting up very straight ("military shoulders") helps some.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    My right arm feels numb at times. The joy of quadhood.
    Ditto. I have semi-normal feeling in one hand. When the parts of it I feel go numb I sort of freak mentally because I count on it for everything. The sensation returns to it's semi-normal state each time, but until it does I get a bit tense.

Dan, about the only thing my PT told me was to be really attentive to your posture, or at least to the extent that you are able. She pointed out to me that I had the typical posture of someone who has been in a chair a long time (was nice about saying it wasn't my fault) and that I had been only talking myself into the fact that I could get my arms to a certain height, because really what I had learned to do was to pull in my head like a turtle to make it possible to reach. She had me spend time just practicing looking straight ahead, which I know sounds incredibly passive, but I had been looking down a lot over the years I guess, which didn't exactly help the alignment of the spine. She had me make sure I used pillows in appropriate areas to help, such as a big one next to me to lie my arm on when I am on my side, rather than to just let it hang down to the mattress.

That happens to me on & off depending how I sleep.
    At times my whole arm is completely numb or at times just the hand,
    after a few minutes pass the sensation returns back to normal.

i had a cervical injury after my lumbar injury that gives me these feelings, the MRI showed the damaged levels, my thumb, especially goes numb and hurts, very painful. i cant sit at a regular desk and use a mouse , i need a elevated armchair with a trachball, so i can keep my head back and up, as son as i drop my head i get pain
    pt can help you fix those issues by strengthening opposing muscles.
    i have to rember to do the exercise, it make a big difference
    Last edited by metronycguy; 02-05-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    cauda equina