Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Conservatives Deny Global Warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Dr. Young,

Would you please explain to me how scientists know what the temperature of the earth was 2,000 years ago? I can understand knowing there was an ice age, but how do we know temperature fluctuations throughout time?
    yep, i don't understand that either
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

oh well

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/reasonmclu...cam_in_history

The claim that the minor atmospheric gas carbon dioxide (CO2) can determine atmospheric temperature sounds so absurd that it is hard to understand how anyone with a logical scientific mind could believe it. Supposedly CO2 which comprises less than 400 parts per million of the atmosphere can cause higher temperatures by absorbing and reemitting low energy infrared radiation (IR) from earth's surface. They make this claim in spite of the fact that physicist R.W. Wood proved a century ago that trapping IR couldn't even cause heating in an enclosed greenhouse much less the atmosphere.
    oh well

"i don't understand that either" , The rings inside trees.
    oh well

don't worry about climate change. A meteor is going to get us first! I'm going to just hide under the bed.

Lmao
    oh well

Well, we just had a record-setting snowfalls in February on the United States. Several tri-state areas have never had more snow in the month of February in the past 150. The tristate of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana (Source) and the tristate areas of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut had record snowfalls. This winter is the snowiest winter on record in New Jersey (Source). With well over 50 inches of snow, Philadelphia has gotten more snow than it has in the past four years (Source). Finally, earlier in the month, something unusual happened. For the first time in recorded history, there was snowfall in all 50 states of the nation.

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment...a-2574783.html
    Snow in All 50 States: Record Dallas Snowfall, Snow in Florida
    Share: by Jordan Yerman | February 12, 2010 at 07:30 am

A winter storm moving through the South could means that there will be snow on the ground in all 50 states, which has likely never happened before. Snow in Florida clinched it, according to the Patrick Marsh of the National Severe Storms Laboratory. Meanwhile, Dallas snowfall has reached a single-day record yesterday, with 12.5 inches falling within 24 hours at DFW Airport.

For there to be snow on the ground in all 50 states, the current storm in the South would have to dump onto the Florida Panhandle, which just happened. University of West Florida cancelled classes due to snow.

However, no snow in Vancouver for the start of the 2010 Olympics. It rained last night, though.

So, what does all this mean. Global warming? Global cooling? A lot of people who don't believe in Global Warming (in caps) are hooting and saying that all the scientists are wrong. In fact, news articles are out there saying that the record snowfall in Washington DC in the beginning of February "buried all chances of passing global warming legislation". http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/8...ecord-snowfall

The response of scientists is that these types of snow years are becoming less and less common because of global warming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...cientists.html
    Even though this is quite a cold winter by recent standards it is still perfectly consistent with predictions for global warming," said Dr Myles Allen, head of the Climate Dynamics group at Department of Physics, University of Oxford.

"If it wasn't for global warming this cold snap would happen much more regularly. What is interesting is that we are now surprised by this kind of weather. I doubt we would have been in the 1950s because it was much more common.

"As for snowfall that could actually increase in the short term because of global warming. We have all heard the expression 'too cold to snow' and we have always expected precipitation to increase.

"All the indicators still suggest that we are warming up in line with predictions."

This winter seems so bad precisely because it is now so unusual. In contrast the deep freezes of 1946-47 and 1962-63 were much colder - 5.3 F (2.97C) and 7.9 F (4.37C) cooler than the long-term norm.

And with global warming we can expect another 1962-63 winter only once every 1,100 years, compared with every 183 years before 1850.
    Even though it has been snowing a lot, the temperature has not been that cold. I remember the years of the 1970's in New York as much colder. For example, we use to routinely get a week or two of -15˚F cold spells several times a winter in New York in the 1970's. I don't remember a single day where the temperature fell below 0 Fahrenheit this winter. If this amount of snowfall had occurred in the 1970's, we would have snow staying around the whole winter. Even though it is only the day after the biggest snow storm of the last 150 years, most of the snow is already gone.

In fact, in the midst of all the snowfall in the United States (and rain in Vancouver), global temperature spiked by 0.72˚C.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2010/02/...te-0-72-deg-c/
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-28-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Wise,

You are obviously passionate about global warming, convinced that the global mean temperature is rising. I also assume from your posts that you believe that man is responsible for this trend and it is not a naturally occurring phenomenon. Is this accurate and if so what is your opinion of what we should do at a macro level as a) the US government who has the ability to regulate and b) as a race who can alter its behavior?

Tom

Hawaii didn't get any snow. Well not yet. How can you base anything on 30 years?
    oh well