Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Conservatives Deny Global Warming?

I think that the first step in resolving the problem has to come from recognizing that the problem exists. It is sad that it has to come to a doomsday scenario, e.g. see Topic on Lovelace before people take global warming seriously. It is also sad that there are ignorant people who make up data and spread it around. Cliff Harris and Randy Mann should be ashamed. It is frightening that people accept the drivel without questioning it. Finally, it boggles my mind that there are many people who don't care. What could be going through the minds of people who are driving these monster SUV's that are averaging 11 miles per gallon? Wise.

My 11mpg SUV puts out less carbon in its life than the airplane that you fly in to china.

What do you do wise? What do you do to lessen you carbon footprint? Or are you a hypocrit like gore.

There is ALOT of misinformation both ways. This thread and your posts are perfect examples....

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    My 11mpg SUV puts out less carbon in its life than the airplane that you fly in to china.
    HAHA, nope.

What alternative would someone have to get from the U.S. to China?

Is he supposed to sail there?

You have hundreds of alternatives to an 11 mpg SUV.

Why does anybody need to go to china? But an alternative is sailboat.

What alternatives do I have to a 11mpg SUV? Give me two alternatives....

Why does anybody need to go to china? But an alternative is sailboat.

What alternatives do I have to a 11mpg SUV? Give me two alternatives....
    There are a few 30 mpg hybrid SUV's that have been on the market
    for several years.

There are also some diesel SUV's that average 20+ mpg.

That's if you have to have an SUV, which I believe in your area is a
    necessity.

What do you do wise? What do you do to lessen you carbon footprint? Or are you a hypocrit like gore.

There is ALOT of misinformation both ways. This thread and your posts are perfect examples....
    That's beautiful. Because Wise, in his efforts to organize funding, administration and researching efforts at finding a cure for SCI, is using the only realistic, efficient transportation available you are just as righteous more than tripling the footprint of your personal transportation.

At least there's an ironic grin available in your reasoning.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    John,

It is one of the problems with the young earth theory. By dismissing all this data that occurred before 6000, a majority of people who believe in the young earth theory have no basis for interpreting data indicating that global warming is taking place. So, they deny it....Wise.
    And may I ask what YOU are doing? You and your minions seem to be dismissing all the data that occurred before 500,000 years.

The Anthropogenic Global Warming crowd is so focused on the past 500,000 years that they totally ignore 10,000 times the data. Why? Because (in the words of Jim Carrie) "It's devistating to their case!"

The earth is roughly 5 BILLION year old. 500,000 years is merely 1/10,000th of the age of the earth. Why ignore the other 4.5 billion years of earth history?

As a geologist I can tell you definitively that from the beginning of the Cambrian backward into geologic time our ability to derive much useful information regarding global climate is dubious at best.

HOWEVER... from the begininng of the Cambrian forward we have very good data. And just like your illustrious Vostok Ice Cores we can determine things like global temperature and CO2 levels of the atmosphere of the earth from the indelible record of the rock.

So let us start from that point. The AWG crowd is ignoring the past 542 million years. Why? Why do they only concentrate on the past 500 thousand to the exclusion of the rest? Here's just a few reasons why:

There have been 4 major ice ages since the Cambrian 542 MYBP. The first was at the Siluro-Ordovician boundary. The earth was plunged into a deep ice age for roughly 25 or 30 million years. There is strong evidence to suggest permanent ice extended well south of the Tropic of Cancer! At that same time we have been able to determine via proxy and sediment data the CO2 content of the atmosphere was 5000 PPM. That is 12 times higher than it is today. How does that jibe with the notion that CO2 is the end all be all of global wamring? ??? How could there be a deep ice age with CO2 levels that high?

Another example is the Fossil Forrest of Axel Hieberg Island (google it!). In short the earth was so warm 45 million years ago that a massive
    Coniferous deciduous forest arose merely 700 miles from north pole of this planet. This forest was a typical sub-tropical ecosystem rife with alligators much like that found in the southeastern United States (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi). That's right...as earth scientists began to study this forest (discovered by accident in 1986) they found remains of Champosaurus in the stratum of the ancient trees. This forest is currently located at 85 degrees north latitude. So what caused the warming that gave rise to this sub-tropical forest 45 MYBP at the north pole? It certainly was not man.

The irrefutable geologic fact is the earth is warming up. SO WHAT. It has been warming up since the end of the Pleistocene (the great ice age). The earth is still in this ice age. An ice age is defined by the fact that ice even exists at the polar regions of the earth.

Over the past 542 million years (since the closing of the pre-cambrian) the earth has only exhibited polar ice for just 50 or 60 million years. The rest of the time...480 or 490 million years the earth was very very balmy and had NO polar ice...NONE...zilch...NADA. The fact is the earth is normally warm and absent of polar ice. This is nothing new and has been the fact for at least a half a billion years.

What caused all that warming for the past 480 million years? ??? What caused the warming that forced the permanent ice to retreat from Kansas just 20,000 years ago back into Canada? ??? Was it Cro-Magnon and his coal fired power plants? ???

Global warming and cooling cycles are as old as the planet itself. Climate change is nothing new and has been historically speaking very radical and rapid at times. Much more so than we have observed to day. ALL these changes occured millions of years before mankind ever arrived. So if man caused this minor change in earth's climate today...what in he11 caused it all the hundreds of times in the past 542 million years?

If anyone is "dismissing" huge volumes of data (ignoring the earth's age) it is not the looney religious right Doctor...it is the looney religious enviroMENTAL left and man made global warming zombies.

Seriously

George Factus

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFact View Post
    George Factus
    Why did you have to make a new username? And you're required to
    include a source when you post information from another site.

...rate of change is completely ignored in the "argument" above.
    Richard

Banned
    GeoFact has not made any friends yet
    And when he starts off like this, he isnt going to make any either.