Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Conservatives Deny Global Warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Who knows - maybe we are creating MBAs terrorist whales.
    If so the humans will SPIN the story so ruthlessly that it will end up being the humans that were being wronged. Humans will be totally innocent as usual.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    If so the humans will SPIN the story so ruthlessly that it will end up being the humans that were being wronged. Humans will be totally innocent as usual.
    Humans are not innocents per say, but we need to eat other creatures and plants to live. And that’s not spinning. How many weeks can you go without such food that has not been killed or cut? And, what is that food you are eating?

I tried to post new science about bioreactors could make perfectly good beef from stem cells maybe soon to Juke a time ago, he just brushed it of like nothing, then, accept the battle between man and nature for food.
    Last edited by Leif; 11-27-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Humans are not innocents per say, but we need to eat other creatures and plants to live. And that’s not spinning. How many weeks can you go without such food that has not been killed or cut? And, what is that food you are eating?

I tried to post new science about bioreactors could make perfectly good beef from stem cells maybe soon to Juke a time ago, he just brushed it of like nothing, then, accept the battle between man and nature for food.
    I eat other animals Leif. And plantlife also.
    I am NOT innocent. Would never claim to be.
    I do know that the food we humans..well in the richer countries..waste would feed the hungry. Three times over. And when a person gets too greedy they will ultimately end up needy.

I didn’t address needy, said not a peep about that, I was just discussing the balance as for new admin some places on wild life/food. But eating is guilty now? No wonder so many has eating disorders these days. The bogus what to eat not to eat balance also has to be levelled out I think.

I didn’t address needy, said not a peep about that, I was just discussing the balance as for new admin some places on wild life/food. But eating is guilty now? No wonder so many has eating disorders these days. The bogus what to eat not to eat balance also has to be levelled out I think.
    I said not innocent of eating animal flesh. You asked me what I eat. Well it's not plastic. I have lived longer than you and still have found no NEED to eat whale meat. Or any endangered species. If I lived in Sri Lanka that might change. Eat whale if you MUST. Eat the baby seals if you MUST. But please don't get greedy about it.

BTW if Alaskan King crab or Australian lobsters become endangered I will STOP eating them. Even though I would be very disappointed. EVEN if the marine animals continue to eat them.

You might have been living longer than me, so far, but we are not there yet, maybe real meat will clock me in above you on that mark pole lol. Btw, the Australian lobster you refer to is not lobster, it might be metanephrops australiensis or langoustines, silly langusters that go up on the beaches to die just because of some algae in the oceans, se how smart they are? We could have eaten them instead. I have a recipe if you would like? And good that you are not eating plastic all the time, but what makes plastic in fact might be a problem saver, to make food from I mean.

As far as I can see, the basic rule that makes life on earth sustainable is that the building blocks of organic matter get recycled. Some of them get recycled fairly quickly and some, like the ones in fossil fuels and carboniferous rocks, get recycled on a time scale encompassing many millions of years. There are many other cycles that act to stabilise conditions on earth and over the last few billion years life has evolved to thrive within the narrow range of conditions that these stabilising cycles have created.
    Humans have broken this basic recycling rule in many ways and interfered with other cycles such as the water cycle. We are seeing the consequences of this in several ways, one of which is global warming.
    Science has identified the problem and solutions have been identified to try and rectify the situation and stop us destroying our life support system.
    The solutions mean that we must stop letting politics take precedence over sense, hence one basic question remains:

"Is there intelligent life on earth?"

You might have been living longer than me, so far, but we are not there yet, maybe real meat will clock me in above you on that mark pole lol. Btw, the Australian lobster you refer to is not lobster, it might be metanephrops australiensis or langoustines, silly langusters that go up on the beaches to die just because of some algae in the oceans, se how smart they are? We could have eaten them instead. I have a recipe if you would like? And good that you are not eating plastic all the time, but what makes plastic in fact might be a problem saver, to make food from I mean.
    If you have time I would appreciate your recipe. Maybe put it in the food forum. It's gonna have to be really delicious..afterall my favorite food is boullabaise. Oh boy just typing it makes my mouth water.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    It's more than just the fish being gone. Dr. Wise will describe it in scientific terms..but think about it.
    Nature is a finely woven web. We have learned when even one strand of that web is destroyed the hole it leaves is much larger than that one strand.

What about the marine life that depends on the fish in question? Do we know exactly everything each ocean inhabitant contributes to their environement? Even waste matter is important in the oceans and rivers.

One good recent example of us not knowing what we are causing is being proven by the re-introduction of the wolf into Yellowstone Park.
    The years they were missing in action ecosytems became uninhabitable for many other species including birds.
    Many plant quit growing. Water was not being conserved. Now with the wolves back. Beavers are building dams. Missing fauna is regrowing. Birds that had given up on the area are now returning. The ecosystem is becoming healthy. Nothing else was done but the return of the wolf. Makes you wonder doesn't it.
    Thanks for the response, Lindox. I definitely agree that one so-called little change to our ecosystem can produce major negatives changes. The idea of the fish disappearing in two decades - Good Gawds, that is beyond huge!

On a slightly different note, Debbie and I have been increasingly disturbed by the increasing trend of every new business around here wanting it's own brand-new building. Heaven forbid they should take over and rehab any of the too many empty commercial buildings around here. Some have been sitting empty for at least the 5+ years we've lived in this town alone, and Im sure it's happening plenty of other places. No, they'd rather tear down more woods to build their own nice, shiny new business and destroy more natural habitat.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    Thanks for the response, Lindox. I definitely agree that one so-called little change to our ecosystem can produce major negatives changes. The idea of the fish disappearing in two decades - Good Gawds, that is beyond huge!

On a slightly different note, Debbie and I have been increasingly disturbed by the increasing trend of every new business around here wanting it's own brand-new building. Heaven forbid they should take over and rehab any of the too many empty commercial buildings around here. Some have been sitting empty for at least the 5+ years we've lived in this town alone, and Im sure it's happening plenty of other places. No, they'd rather tear down more woods to build their own nice, shiny new business and destroy more natural habitat.
    This tear down rebuild is BIG in my area.
    I do realize the need when the buildings are not up to code as far as earthquake and insulation factors go.

If they move into a building that isn't eco friendly they are contributing to the problem. BUT many of the buildings that are being left to rot ARE eco friendly.
    That is where the ego of the nation comes into play.

It's almost as expensive to upgrade a building as it is to rebuild. Becoming eco friendly is NOT an easy feat..but doable. If we ALL contribute to it. In the end though money talks and the Earth suffers.