Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Conservatives Deny Global Warming?

a little about global warming. hard to get a clear pic on 150 years of research. the glaciers melting is disturbing and scray though. there is a thing called global cooling going on too. with all the particles in the upper air floating around , they tend to reflec the sunlight from hitting the earth. when these particles collect mosture from the air it doubles the effect. so they are acting like mirrors reflecting the sunlight. now when the "clean up" gets under way and the particles are removed , whats going to happen then? ummmmmm
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    alot of places have quota's on catching stuff from the sea. Alaska being probally #1. crabs , cod, salmon and others. alot of fish , now come from fish farms. catfish , salmon and tilipia. lake Erie was basicly out of jumbo yellow perch for years. feds from USA and Canada bought out the commercial fishermen. 10 years later the perch fishing is fantastic. lots of perch and nice jumbo's. so things can be turned around if they take measure's and inforce them. you have to have a time limit on the season.
    I agree. Here in the Florida Straits, the size of the no-catch zones of the Marie Sanctuaries continue to expand. Bag limits and legal catch size are adjusted to protect individual species. The number of commercial permits issued is reduced each year. There is hope, but we must do the right thing to preserve wild fish for future generations.

The crazy thing is how rapidly the degradation of the planet occurred. The pace of destruction is accelerating, the time to get serious about conservation is now or sooner. Ecological awareness must be practised on an individual level. Too many people are waiting for the others to go first - "I will when everybody else does". We ALL have to go first. Start with the little things...shutting off unused lights, low-flow water fixtures, shooting the C.E.O. of a major corporate polluter (JUST KiDDING!! But maybe avoid buying their products and investing in their stock?).

How many find the prospect of shooting wars over water resources unthinkable? Stay tuned, water wars are coming to a small planet in your neighborhood soon. Alternatively. we can start working to become a sane people who value nature above consumerism.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I'm not sure

I know anyone who denies global warming as it is clearly a cyclical phenomenon, but rather the cause of global warming. The arguement today is that it is manmade and completely reversable, (not surprising because people have been trying to control environment for decades with cloud seeding etc.) or a naturally occuring cycle of heating and cooling which is ultimately determined by the sun and other natural occurances such as an increase in volcanic activity etc. which man has little or no control over.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock
    I know anyone who denies global warming as it is clearly a cyclical phenomenon, but rather the cause of global warming. The arguement today is that it is manmade and completely reversable, (not surprising because people have been trying to control environment for decades with cloud seeding etc.) or a naturally occuring cycle of heating and cooling which is ultimately determined by the sun and other natural occurances such as an increase in volcanic activity etc. which man has little or no control over.
    Nobody actually thinks global warming is COMPLETELY reversible. That is conservative spin. What we do know is there are activities that we as humans engage in that ADDS to the problem. Noone knows exactly how much additional burdens we do put upon the natural order of things until we see five legged frogs etc.

Teddy Roosevelt a dedicate hunter and fisherman was one of the greatest advocates of nature. What happened to republicans like him?

There are scientists like the one Dr. Wise dined with that spend their entire lives WITH nature. Traveling the world. They aren't in a lab. They are in NATURE.
    They live hard lives sometimes yet continue on. Why don't the conseratives listen to what they have learned first hand.

Very few world citizen's know nature as these dedicated scientist do. Not even a hunter that never misses a season. So why turn them off when we need their first hand knowledge more now than ever? I don't get it.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    That... is scary. Dr. Young, just what do you think the environmental state of the world will be in - say - fifty years, besides the fish being gone?
    It's more than just the fish being gone. Dr. Wise will describe it in scientific terms..but think about it.
    Nature is a finely woven web. We have learned when even one strand of that web is destroyed the hole it leaves is much larger than that one strand.

What about the marine life that depends on the fish in question? Do we know exactly everything each ocean inhabitant contributes to their environement? Even waste matter is important in the oceans and rivers.

One good recent example of us not knowing what we are causing is being proven by the re-introduction of the wolf into Yellowstone Park.
    The years they were missing in action ecosytems became uninhabitable for many other species including birds.
    Many plant quit growing. Water was not being conserved. Now with the wolves back. Beavers are building dams. Missing fauna is regrowing. Birds that had given up on the area are now returning. The ecosystem is becoming healthy. Nothing else was done but the return of the wolf. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

don't get me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    Nobody actually thinks global warming is COMPLETELY reversible. That is conservative spin. What we do know is there are activities that we as humans engage in that ADDS to the problem. Noone knows exactly how much additional burdens we do put upon the natural order of things until we see five legged frogs etc.

Teddy Roosevelt a dedicate hunter and fisherman was one of the greatest advocates of nature. What happened to republicans like him?

There are scientists like the one Dr. Wise dined with that spend their entire lives WITH nature. Traveling the world. They aren't in a lab. They are in NATURE.
    They live hard lives sometimes yet continue on. Why don't the conseratives listen to what they have learned first hand.

Very few world citizen's know nature as these dedicated scientist do. Not even a hunter that never misses a season. So why turn them off when we need their first hand knowledge more now than ever? I don't get it.
    Personally, I would like to see the U.S. become energy independant and get off petroleum products all together. I am in favor of bio-diesel, hydrogen, electric(non-coal burning), wind, etc. Unfortunately, with our political leadership(or lack of) it has become an issue of politicizing the globlal warming debate and will ultimately become a situation where our economy will take a hit due to political mismanagement. Instead of dictating to companies regarding emmissions, I think the government needs to increase tax breaks for those willing to comply voluntarily, and change the status quo. We need to increase investment in bio-fuels, solar and wind technologies, etc. not punish companies with antiquated production facilities. I saw where BP is bragging about investing 500 million dollars to date on researching bio-fuels when for one, this is a miniscule investment, and two, there is virtually zero difference between vehicles that run either on ethanol or bio-diesel from current production other than some simple change to rubber hoses, or a redundant fuel heating source to accomodate these different fuels. I think we can be much more carbon neutral and need to be but I think penalizing the developing world is a mistake by mandating changes without providing alternatives that will work for them to develop their own economies without us having to babysit them.

Lindox

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    It's more than just the fish being gone.
    In some time much will be gone, some say quite a few species are whipped off the earth each week, but the focus is not right, take the Canada “cruel” seal hunt thread for example, zillions of seal, still this has got more focus than the around less than 3,000 tigers soon to be whipped out in India, not a peep about that, the 1 billions seals though, ohh the seals. Peoples has to understand more, and like the wolfs in Yellowstone, it is human controlled, that’s how it is, all is human controlled on a large scale, we just have to become better, but to focus on a few thousand seals out of a bunch compared like to no focus at all as for the tigers and the trade of their bones to China via Nepal for whatever reason is actually outrageous, the ivory from elephants in Africa too, after the hunt in the sixties the herds started to increase and one could see tens of them together quite often, now this is also seldom due to pouching for ivory used in China mainly. Take the whale hunt done by some countries like mine done by the West and Japan for example, which most “environmental concerned” city folks is outrages about, the West do sincere research thus blue whales and other endangered spices are not hunted on anymore albeit the bad practice in times before. Now one only hunt whales there are plenty of to keep the balance (like Yellowstone) and due to it is responsible, still those locko environmentalists’ focuses on this instead on the real problem as for endangered species. Understand that the ones that can?

Soon we will all be gone if we don’t start to act to see the real problems, stupid wars take the focus away, so to the hyped energy focus some politicians puts forward these days, not to say we shouldn’t find better energy sources, but to me it seems populist politician forget about the rest when dealing with this issue... I remember flying over the US and Canada, from books when the immigrants came there was just open plain fields, now most everything looks like squares/blocks in a city, the same here in Europe, and the rest of the world is squaring and following swift, how to deal with that might be the question?
    Last edited by Leif; 11-27-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Leif,
    I agree about the tigers plight. AND there are many organizations working for them..but the world media doesn't give them the time of the day.

The seals. We will have to just agree to disagree on the methods used disguised as conservation. The whales. Take a few and take the older more close to the end of their lives. Of course they are smarter but also should be getting slower. When we go taking what we want instead of NEED things get destroyed.

When you take a younger mother whale you also endanger her offspring. Not just the ones still suckling..but the older ones still going to school. When you take the oldest also you may run the risk of taking the matriach of the pods. BUT by the time the younger females are bred they at least have a BA in survival.

Positive media would do wonders for the tigers and the elephants.

gp,
    Your post makes exceptional sense to me.
    I don't think there really is a country upcoming or not that relishes filthy air or water. I imagine many Chinese citizens were deeply upset about the extinction of the Yahtzee River otter.

We do need to address the environement as a world not as seperate countries. And none of us really has the alternatives to this filth. United we WOULD find them.

There will be growing pains..but they will be dwarfed by the benefits of growing. Not only will India and Siberia grieve for the last tiger so will humanity.

Who knows - maybe we are creating MBAs terrorist whales.