Thread: New bed, adjustable queen?

New bed, adjustable queen?

I need to get a new bed.

Right now I sleep on an AtmosAir mattress, x-long twin, head/foot/elevation adjustable bed. The adjustable frame is also very noisy.

I would like to have a queen size, head/foot/elevation adjustable bed.

a)How do the consumer air mattresses (like select comfort) compare for pressure reduction?

b)How do the foam mattresses hold up being on an adjustable frame, does the bending damage the foam over time?

c)Does anyone know of a queen sized head/foot/elevation adjustable frame? Preferably quiet.

[Edit] >4" of clearance for a hoyer lift is also needed.

-Scott

[This message was edited by Slim on 05-13-05 at 11:33 PM.]

I can answer this as we just went through an *extensive* search for a new bed - we needed completely adjustable including height. The only long term, quality option we found was Transfer Master beds. They are PRICEY - our queen size bed was $5400, but it was worth it. We found nothing that had the critical height (meaning the whole bed moves up and down) function except TransferMaster and one other brand, and I can't remember the name of it. But the other brand could only withstand 400 pounds total in the bed and we routinely sleep with two of us in bed (310 pounds total now, who knows in the future?) plus our son who is 40 pounds now (who knows in the future?!?!) ... plus a dog, etc. So Transfer Master was the only way to go as it holds 650 pounds (even a 1000 if you pay more). If you don't absolutely have to have full height adjustment (again, where the mattress itself goes up and down, not tiling of the foot and head, many beds do this), you have many, many, many choices.

But if you have to have height adjustment, save up your $$ and save yourself the time of searching and just buy the TransferMaster. IT's great! (and no, I don't work there or get any endorsement money, lol!)

Ami & Chad (C4 complete since 1988)

I recently ordered a California King from a company called VolksBett. It's head/foot adjustable, but it does not adjust up/down in its entirety. The matttress is foam - somewhat like Tempur-Pedic, but much softer. The bed is made to fit inside the frame of a platform bed, and you can get legs that add a few inches to the overall height. The adjustable mechanism is very quiet and operates via wireless remote.

I had a Select Comfort for several years and liked it very much. But since I had just bought a new frame for it last summer, I wanted to find something to fit inside. (My Select Comfort mattress also had started to "hammock" somewhat.) I chose SC for comfort, not pressure relief, but I've never had a problem in that area. I also recently started sleeping with a Geomatt overlay that I like a lot.

Since my VolksBett mattress is foam, I don't think there are issues with it being on an adjustable bed. I couldn't find a height adjustable bed that I liked, so this was a good option for me. You'll have no problems finding head/foot adjustable beds in queen size, though some will be split into two halves and operate off separate controls.

Check out the Flex-a-bed. It has all the adjustments you're looking for and it comes in the queen size. Try www.flexabed.com.
    I've had mine 2 years with no problems. My only complaint is that the head/foot elevator and the whole bed elevator and on two separate remotes. And the remote control is a bit difficult to use. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

"The essense of greatness is the perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson

If you need to use a portable lift, or might need to use one in the furture, be sure you get one without a platform base, or at least 4" clearance between the frame and the floor.

(KLD)

yeah, I need also clearance for a lift.

-Scott

Hey slim.... Ii have this bed in a twin ROTEC BED

My twin cost me about 2800 cdn, and it even vibrates. My mattress is a Pressureguard CFT Cost 2200 cdn.

Great combo, mattress is low level preessure relieving, and the hoyer fits justt fine, i use onee.

Hope this helps

I got a full size from KCI a few years ago -- 8 or nine. KCI Maxis 400. Height adjustable, feet & leg adjustable, Trandelenburg (SP). Mine has a single (plug in) remote.

They might make one queen size.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy
    Check out the Flex-a-bed. It has all the adjustments you're looking for and it comes in the queen size. Try www.flexabed.com.
    I've had mine 2 years with no problems. My only complaint is that the head/foot elevator and the whole bed elevator and on two separate remotes. And the remote control is a bit difficult to use. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

"The essense of greatness is the perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson
    I bought from flexabed just a few months back and all the controls are all on one remote now. People must have been complaining and the company listened. I had a small problem with my order, because they said they quit making the mattress that i ordered. When i transfer it is uphill, they told me it would be even higher if i had gotten the mattress i did order. I don't know what the heck went on with me, but make sure you get everything in writing, so if you have a problem you have recourse. they don't let you return the bed, just the mattress. Other then that, I like my bed.

i did check out transfermaster too. They were about 800 more expensive, but they delivered 2 weeks faster and the hi/lo mechanism has a greater range. Both companies sell the bed with the mattress included and if you don't care to take it, the refund is nominal.

I hope that helps a little.
    Rose
    http://www.myspace.com/roseoremus
    C6/C7 Complete, Asia A, since March 31, 2005.