Thread: Citrus juice boosts green tea antioxidants

Citrus juice boosts green tea antioxidants

Citrus juice boosts green tea antioxidants

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind., Nov. 14 (UPI) -- Citrus juices enable more of green tea's unique antioxidants -- catechins -- to be available for the body to absorb, U.S. researchers found.

Lead author Mario Ferruzzi of Purdue University said catechins are relatively unstable in non-acidic environments, such as the intestines, and less than 20 percent of the total remains after digestion.

"Off the bat, you are eliminating a large majority of the catechins from plain green tea," Ferruzzi said in a statement. "We have to address this fact if we want to improve bodily absorption..."

...The study, published in Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, found citrus juice increased recovered catechin levels by more than five times, and ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, increased recovered levels of the two most abundant catechins.

Lemon juice caused 80 percent of tea's catechins to remain, followed by orange, lime and grapefruit juices.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.newsdaily.com/Science/UPI...s-greentea.xml

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity

Lemon juice caused 80 percent of tea's catechins to remain, followed by orange, lime and grapefruit juices.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.newsdaily.com/Science/UPI...s-greentea.xml
    Interesting but in light of Wise's post regarding the possibility of having too much antioxidant in out diets/bodies, perhaps green tea should be consumed by itself.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Interesting but in light of Wise's post regarding the possibility of having too much antioxidant in out diets/bodies, perhaps green tea should be consumed by itself.
    Jukes, I must have missed that post by Wise, i find it hard to believe that an individual could consume too much antioxidants from natural dietary sources.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    Jukes, I must have missed that post by Wise, i find it hard to believe that an individual could consume too much antioxidants from natural dietary sources.
    Wish I could find the post. As you say though, Wise's text underscored the dangers of taking mega-supplements of antioxidants. A number of individuals were quoted as having stopped the mega-dosing when they encountered metabolic problems. I hate to sound so vague and wouldn't even mention it except, it having be a Wise post, post-wise, it was well supported with links, etc..
    J.B.S.Haldane

Wish I could find the post. As you say though, Wise's text underscored the dangers of taking mega-supplements of antioxidants. A number of individuals were quoted as having stopped the mega-dosing when they encountered metabolic problems. I hate to sound so vague and wouldn't even mention it except, it having be a Wise post, post-wise, it was well supported with links, etc..
    I think I remember it now, but I agree with the dangers of taking manufactured anitoxidants or vitamin supplements in a lot of cases. I strongly believe however that eaten in a natural form will not have any of the same type of risk but quite the opposite. Nature provides these antioxidants naturally in a complemetary synergistic form, something that cannot be replicated in a factory.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    I think I remember it now, but I agree with the dangers of taking manufactured anitoxidants or vitamin supplements in a lot of cases. I strongly believe however that eaten in a natural form will not have any of the same type of risk but quite the opposite. Nature provides these antioxidants naturally in a complemetary synergistic form, something that cannot be replicated in a factory.
    The only citrus I consume regularly is grapefruit, both whole/sectioned and the pure juice; the least effective for boosting the benefits of green tea catechins. Oh well.
    J.B.S.Haldane

The only citrus I consume regularly is grapefruit, both whole/sectioned and the pure juice; the least effective for boosting the benefits of green tea catechins. Oh well.
    Lately I've taken to keeping a few lemons in the fridge and eating a few slices before drinking green tea. I keep a salt shaker full of stevia extract powder for sweetening the lemon slices. It makes a big difference.

You have to try this to see just how incredibly good it makes you feel.

Thanks Seneca.

P.S. I can recommend some great teas for anyone interested.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Is this the thread you were looking for Jukespin : http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=antioxidants ??

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    Is this the thread you were looking for Jukespin : http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=antioxidants ??

Obieone
    That's the one. Here's the post I was looking for - but it lacks the usual Wisey refs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julie-Bug
    Thanks Wise, that was a bit of a refresher of Human A&P!
    I'm really not too worried about my intake of antioxidants. I drink plenty of green tea and white tea as well as pomegranate and blueberries.
    In your last statement you say that many vitamins are antioxidants... and those are the ones that we already get from the food we eat, correct?

Yes, the good thing about getting one's antioxidants from natural sources is that it is difficult to overdose on them. Too much of anything is not good.

I knew of one group called "Life Extension" whose members ate literally hundreds of grams of antioxidants, including grams of vitamins C and E. I don't know whether they are same group that now is called the Life Extension Foundation (Source).

Several researchers belonged to this group and ate large amounts of antioxidants. One researcher later told me that he stopped because he was getting negative side-effects from too much antioxidants. I wish there were studies of the consequences of taking large amounts of antioxidants.

Wise.
    J.B.S.Haldane