Thread: Who DOESN'T use a CALF STRAP?

Who DOESN'T use a CALF STRAP?

And if you don't, how do you keep your feet from (eventually) slipping off the back of the footplate?

Most folding wheelchairs or power chairs use a heel strap instead.

(KLD)

I don't use a calf strap. The angle of my knees and ankles is such that there is very little opportunity for spasms. This is due to the position of the footplate.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

I don't. My Roho is 31/2" thick so this makes it a sort of stopper for my calves. It sounds to me like your footplate is a little too low. Try raising it about a 1/2".

My problem has always been that my feet come off the front, not the back...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

i did on my first chair, until i got thoroughly doused in mud at a music festival, and i took it off to clean it and promptly lost it. i didnt miss it - i had one of those uncovered footplated and could jam the heels of my shoes between the first a second bars. on my second chair, the strap was non-removable, held by a single rivet. i broke this within a few days, and had to stick the now hanging strap under my cushion. this is the chair i did a complete somersault out of, and the calf strap would have stopped it. when i ordered this chair, i didnt bother getting a strap, but now i have enough dump to give me a bit more forward stability.

yeah, i agree w/ moe. your footplate may be too low. i don't use a calf strap either. my feet slip off the back occasionally, but typically only when i'm barefoot or wearing dress shoes w/ no real grip on the outsole.

I had one, but my ZRc is 16" deep has an 85 degree frame and has 4.5" of dump. That combination makes it nearly impossible for my feet to come off the back because it would require a lot of knee flexion. To keep my feet in place, I put a piece of tubular foam over the front tube of my footrest, but I did this to keep my feet from popping off the front edge.

I use to use one but ditched it for heel loops because it is a lot easier to swivel the footrests away without having to deal with a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    I had one, but my ZRc is 16" deep has an 85 degree frame and has 4.5" of dump. That combination makes it nearly impossible for my feet to come off the back because it would require a lot of knee flexion. To keep my feet in place, I put a piece of tubular foam over the front tube of my footrest, but I did this to keep my feet from popping off the front edge.
    We have the same chair and very similarly proportioned except that I have 2" less dump (18.5" --> 16"). Seat To Footrest is 16" (I'm about 5' 9").

Without shoes the footrest is definitely too low; with them on it appears to be set up just right. I ordered my chair with the buckle calf strap, not the velcro attachment. That was a mistake b/c the strap material is SO STIFF that it's nearly impossible to adjust to size.

If those of you who've abandoned their calf straps want to sell yours (cheap), let me know.
    Last edited by stephen212; 11-23-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Hi!
    4" dump, 85 degree with a ZRa here. Same as SCI_OTR: pop off front is more concern than the back. Very, very rarely will my legs spasm "backward" to go off the back. For the front, I have a custom made strap for longer days; adjustable, and each end has a plastic squeeze clip (larger version of what you would find on a fanny pack belt, for instance). Wrap each end around the front legs, adjust to keep legs from poppin off the front. Works great, and I leave it loose enough to not even put any pressure on my legs when relaxed. 90% of the time I do not need to use it...
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters