Thread: Spyware and BitTorrent

Spyware and BitTorrent

Has anyone had any problems with spyware or viruses when using Bit Torrent? I ask because I am absolutely new to P2P, and would like to know any possible pitfalls before diving in so to speak.
    Dave H

Me, No. But I'm very savy.

Torrents are usually safe as the file is a community thing, You d/l peices from many users, anbd not just 1 user.

Read the comments on the torrrent before you d/l to see what others have to say.

Make sure the file isn't abnormally large or small.

And watch your bandwidth, torrents can eat that fast.

Spyware and virii are the payload of what you are d/l'ing.
    On open trackers like PirateBay or Demonoid (just been taken down) you have a greater chance of this happening.
    Try to find private trackers -- they usually are a lot better at maintaining stuff clean.
    Check out FileSharing Talk, Planet Peer Community and Filesoup are some good places to get more info.

Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

eMule anyone?

Thanks for the feedback; I think I am going to take a look at eMule. I heard some interesting things about that site and would like to hear more opinions. If anyone can offer some advice, I would be thankful.
    Dave H

Emule is a program to download stuff.
    I use utorrent, but there's hundreds of diferent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I use utorrent, but there's hundreds of diferent ones.
    +1

And if you're goin to get into torrents definitely get on private trackers. They are much much safer than public and theirs no issue with spyware on private trackers. I'd really recommend making an account now at filesharingtalk.com cause you have to wait a month until you get access to the invite section.

utorrent is the easiest to setup and widely accepted. I know the lead programmer and its a safe program.

BitTorrent Inc. acquires µTorrent

Quote Originally Posted by WADDiE
    ...snip...
    utorrent is the easiest to setup and widely accepted. I know the lead programmer and its a safe program.
    WADDIE, there is a lot of buzz around the community to stick to the 15'00 and 16'00 levels of μtorrent, with Bram and stuff around happening.
    BitTorrent Inc. acquires uTorrent

7 December 2006 10:11 by Dela

Bram Cohen of BitTorrent Inc. has announced that the company has acquired the increasingly popular µTorrent client. The announcement was made on µTorrent's official site by Bram and Ludvig (Ludde) Strigeus, the writer of µTorrent.

...snip...

The benefits of using BitTorrent to distribute data are obvious. Every day terabytes of data are exchanged between users, making up for a large portion of the overall Internet traffic and prompting ISPs to attempt to block its use. This reliable and quick way of distributing very large files is already used extensively for legitimate purposes also, and the MPAA is set to give it a go through its dealings with BitTorrent Inc.

Source:
    µTorrent
    The last 1.6.1 (build 490), came out 2007-02-13, very shortly after (the acquisition) and rumour has it, it couldn't be stopped anymore.
    ...anyway, this is all speculation and conjecture I guess.

Just curious what your friend would say about this (although I guess he would be bound by conf. agreements anyway).

Last edited by LaoziSailor; 11-24-2007 at 09:42 PM.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~