Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "It's the holy grail. It's like turning lead into gold."

I HOPE that George Bush will want his legacy to be positive - that he will be the stem cell revolution president! I'm NOT holding my breath though. Scott.

CNN Headline News just showed an interview with Professor Shinya Yamanaka MD., Ph.D. regarding his recent discovery. During the interview it was indicated he is working around the clock in his lab that is no larger than a college dorm room. He discussed and looked sad, stating he has received several hundred emails from people around the world, asking for help now. Dr. Yamanaka said the hardest thing was to tell the people he can't help them, that the cells are not ready yet. "Don't expect too much. Please wait, we will do our best"

Geron Issues a Statement Nov. 21, 2007

"No Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Therapeutic Product Development"

“Yet the results are unlikely to impact the development of stem-cell based therapeutics,” continued Dr. Okarma. “The notion of using an individually derived pluripotent stem cell line as the source for the manufacturing of a therapeutic cell type used only for that individual is not only extremely labor intensive and technically difficult, it is economically unfeasible. Moreover, the often stated reason to make individual lines is to avoid immune rejection as in organ transplantation. However, immune rejection may not pertain to cells manufactured from hESCs, as we have shown recently with our OPC1 cells, our hESC-based therapeutic for spinal cord injury. These therapeutic cells made from hESCs are immune-privileged and are not recognized by the human immune system in vitro (Journal of Neuroimmunology, December 2007, 192(1-2): 134-144).”

“What is most important to recognize is that an undifferentiated stem cell is not a therapeutic cell,” said Dr. Okarma.

http://www.geron.com/pressview.asp?id=821
    Last edited by chasb; 11-23-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    "Don't expect too much. Please wait, we will do our best"

“Yet the results are unlikely to impact the development of stem-cell based therapeutics,” continued Dr. Okarma. “The notion of using an individually derived pluripotent stem cell line as the source for the manufacturing of a therapeutic cell type used only for that individual is not only extremely labor intensive and technically difficult, it is economically unfeasible. Moreover, the often stated reason to make individual lines is to avoid immune rejection as in organ transplantation. However, immune rejection may not pertain to cells manufactured from hESCs, as we have shown recently with our OPC1 cells, our hESC-based therapeutic for spinal cord injury. These therapeutic cells made from hESCs are immune-privileged and are not recognized by the human immune system in vitro (Journal of Neuroimmunology, December 2007, 192(1-2): 134-144).”

“What is most important to recognize is that an undifferentiated stem cell is not a therapeutic cell,” said Dr. Okarma.

Chasb,

Excellent points. Geron has the ability to treat hundreds of thousands of people from a single cell line, economically, and hopefully effectively.

Stem Cells Created From Adult Skin Cells Formed Cardiac Muscle That Began Beating.

They say this can cure spinal cord injury too.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...dult_skin.html

"Highly genetically modified",..... "these cells contain at least 30 random permanent genetic inserts of the viral carriers to get those four genes in, this is a molecular time bomb". "Because the insertion is random, it breaks the coding sequence of normal genes, which sets up for a mutation". "So it's almost a certainty that any differentiated cells made from these pluripotent cells will have a high likely hood of malignant transformation".

"Moreover, the technical difficultly of having everyones been made their own line, then make the therapeutic cell from that line is astronomical, and it is economically unfeasible,... this would cost 1 million dollars, it's a non-starter".

Comments by Thomas Okarma, Ph.D., M.D., president and chief executive officer Geron, November 28th.,2007 during a conference presentation.
    Last edited by chasb; 11-30-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Method using ordinary skin cells came with risk of malignancies

Fri., Nov. 30, 2007

WASHINGTON - Researchers who figured out how to make valued embryonic stem cells out of ordinary skin cells said on Friday they had found a way to cut one cancer-causing ingredient out of the mix.

But it came at a price — the method may be safer, but it is also less efficient.

Shinya Yamanaka of Kyoto University in Japan said the findings, published in the journal Nature Biotechnology, demonstrate that the stem cell breakthrough may have been exciting, but is nowhere near ready to be used in humans.......

One of the four genes in Yamanaka's restorative cocktail is called c-Myc1. They grew live mice from their new cells, but later found that the mice were prone to develop tumors.

So they left out c-Myc1. It worked, although not nearly as well. The new method was about half as efficient, they reported.....

Yamanaka's team said it is possible that the other three genes they used — called Oct3/4, Sox2 and Klf4 — may somehow activate Myc that naturally is found in the DNA of the skin cells.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22046542/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buxton
    I HOPE that George Bush will want his legacy to be positive - that he will be the stem cell revolution president! I'm NOT holding my breath though. Scott.
    It would be nice Scott, but I agree, don't hold your breath. All great posts gang, keep up the good work.
    Here's Hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore
    All progress is good progress, though I do wonder if the talent and resources used in this research could have furthered progress toward effective SCNT-derived cell treatments. Breadth of understanding is good for science as a whole, but folks like us would be better served by depth.

Is there a chance that the "gene reprogramming" techniques could be used to change cells to specific cell types?
    Some laboratories are doing "gene reprogramming" of human embryonic stem cells to try to get them to differentiate into specific kinds of cells. At the present, most of the work on differentiation are being done by using different factors rather than gene reprogramming. Several laboratories have shown that it is possible to produce neural progenitor cells from human embryonic stem cells. Of course, Hans Keirstead has successfully created a cell line of oligodendroglial precursor cells from human embryonic stem cells and Geron is planning to take this to clinical trial.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    CNN Headline News just showed an interview with Professor Shinya Yamanaka MD., Ph.D. regarding his recent discovery. During the interview it was indicated he is working around the clock in his lab that is no larger than a college dorm room. He discussed and looked sad, stating he has received several hundred emails from people around the world, asking for help now. Dr. Yamanaka said the hardest thing was to tell the people he can't help them, that the cells are not ready yet. "Don't expect too much. Please wait, we will do our best"

ChasB, I can really empathize with Dr. Yamanaka. It is very painful to get hundreds of emails from people who are asking for a cure and having to write back to say that it is not ready.

Dr. Okarma also makes an important point. At the present, the feasibiity of making personal stem cell lines by genetic reprogramming and that can be used for therapy has not yet been demonstrated. The method is not yet efficient and is still unreliable.

However, this doesn't mean that reprogramming research should be stopped or that general human embryonic stem cell research be stopped. Both must be continued. More important, there is a need to test these cells in different models of disease and injury, to find out whether or not they work.

One of the reasons why I have been working so hard on getting the state of New Jersey to fund stem cell research is so that we can put together a critical mass of stem cell scientists who can make cells that we can test in our animal models and take to clinical trial.

The availability of cells is a major bottleneck. Of course, the lack of funding for clinical trials is another bottleneck. In some ways, I feel like one of these boats that are dredging channels in harbors for ships to pass through. We not only have to have ships with cargo but we must keep the chennels deep and wide so that the ships can pass through.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    ChasB, I can really empathize with Dr. Yamanaka. It is very painful to get hundreds of emails from people who are asking for a cure and having to write back to say that it is not ready.

Dr. Okarma also makes an important point. At the present, the feasibiity of making personal stem cell lines by genetic reprogramming and that can be used for therapy has not yet been demonstrated. The method is not yet efficient and is still unreliable.

However, this doesn't mean that reprogramming research should be stopped or that general human embryonic stem cell research be stopped. Both must be continued. More important, there is a need to test these cells in different models of disease and injury, to find out whether or not they work.

One of the reasons why I have been working so hard on getting the state of New Jersey to fund stem cell research is so that we can put together a critical mass of stem cell scientists who can make cells that we can test in our animal models and take to clinical trial.

The availability of cells is a major bottleneck. Of course, the lack of funding for clinical trials is another bottleneck. In some ways, I feel like one of these boats that are dredging channels in harbors for ships to pass through. We not only have to have ships with cargo but we must keep the chennels deep and wide so that the ships can pass through.

Wise.
    I understand completely what you are saying Dr. Young. We really need to collectively push harder for funding for 'clinical trials'. I also understand your frustration of not being able to tell people there is a cure for them right now. But know this, we appreciate your tireless commitment to us and I feel it in my heart that you will be and already are a huge part of a complex puzzle that may allow people like me to have a near normal life with my family & friends once again! Happy Holidays to you and your family Wise!
    Here's Hoping!