Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meeting w/mom set for Wednesday, AHHHH

Yay Becky! It sounds like a very good first talk. You haven't been annoying, by the way. Geeze, if you can't talk about this stuff here where can you? I am glad the doc had the ability to silence your mom long enough that she could hear right from the horses mouth what some of the issues are. I hope you are feeling proud of yourself today, because you should be. GOOD JOB!!

You're not annoying! We just get frustrated trying to help you see what is painfully obvious, i.e. you can't keep trying to please someone who is not dealing with all the facts. I hope that now she is in possession of those facts, she will encourage you to live the best possible life even if it is from a seated position. Keep us posted!

I really hope this worked so you can finally get on w/ your life Becky. You definately haven't been annoying, this is your haven to vent and gain support. Please keep us posted, we'll be here.

If all else fails though, atleast you'll have Candy..

I think we've all dealt with irrational (the you can walk if you really try types) family members or aquitances at one time or another

Yay, becky! I'm so relieved to hear that it was a positive experience for you and your mother.
    Daniel

Becky

I just have a little advice to offer. Like Betheny said, you cannot keep trying to please someone else. Please dont live your life trying to. I can tell you from an "old woman's" life experience, it makes for a miserable life and you never feel good enough even after mom is long gone.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Betheny and Darkeyed daisy, I know that I can't please everyone all of the time. However, there a few select few that I try to please as often as possible. These people being my parents. I know you may think that is stupid but it was how I was raised. Also, I want as badly, as my mom, to be able to one day walk again and I think that we are just both on different tracks. Kind of like two trains heading for a head on collision, or atleast we were, hence the need for the meeting. Thank you for the advice. I try to remember it daily otherwise I would be worse off then I am already.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons
    Betheny and Darkeyed daisy, I know that I can't please everyone all of the time. However, there a few select few that I try to please as often as possible. These people being my parents. I know you may think that is stupid but it was how I was raised. Also, I want as badly, as my mom, to be able to one day walk again and I think that we are just both on different tracks. Kind of like two trains heading for a head on collision, or atleast we were, hence the need for the meeting. Thank you for the advice. I try to remember it daily otherwise I would be worse off then I am already.

Becky,
    Chicago
    Becky I was raised that way too and unfortunately no matter what I did, it was never good enough. I know you want to please your parents but sometimes parents place heavy burdens on their children without even realizing the damage it is doing to them. Just because you (or your mom) want to walk again does not mean that it is going to happen.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yep. Trying is great, and I hope you never stop. It's just a piece of the puzzle, though. The Puzzle Of Life has many pieces. Walking and pleasing parents are only 2...probably not the most important ones. I think it's good you want to please her. Just keep it in perspective.

Becky,
    I'm glad your meeting went so well. Trying to please others is ok, but if your not pleased with yourself, the ones that really matter to you won't be either.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.