Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 246

Thread: A visit to Dr. Keirstead’s lab.

  1. #211
    Senior Member kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    bellevue, wa, usa
    Posts
    10,992

    Hi, Andy

    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    JenJen,

    Do we know what drug company might be working with Hans on the procedure for the trial coming up for babies? Just wondering who we should support now that I understand Geron won't be working on chronics (Merck).

    Thanks!

    Andy
    That would be California Stem Cell . . .

    CSC is currently in the pre-clinical development stage of stem cell based therapies for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease), spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), spinal cord injury (SCI) and coronary heart disease.

  2. #212
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Hmmm, then you were really close to where I was sitting. I was the one that got backed out of the crowd when Suzy Kim started talking. (we were going to do the check presentation then but it was delayed.) I saw a couple of "tan guys" over to my right as I faced the screen but somehow I missed you. Did you see me during the check presentation? I was the idiot that didn't have prepared remarks. I was pulled into a meeting immediately after that so I didn't get to mingle Wednesday night until late. Like Kate, I was longing for wine.


    Sorry we didn't meet but I'm really glad you were there. Did you see any of the poster presentations? I missed all of those because of this other thing. I did get half a glass of wine and some really great convo at the end of the evening. It was a great event and I encourage EVERYONE who can to go.
    yep that was us. the other guy wasn't sci tho. he was there to help his friend who was a quad. he had a hat with long hair. I was sitting next to those guys, so you vaguely saw me.

    do you have blonde hair? if so, I know who you are now. hehehe. When one of the ladies was presenting the check/talking about the funding, a blonde lady stood to the left of her for awhile. she spoke at the beginning for a sec, but that was actually when I was talking to Dr. Hans for a split sec. a lady that kept standing by me where ever I went said something very positive about the lady holding the check, I thought perhaps it was you, so I says "oh I know her" assuming that was you holding the check because I thought you would be LOL. but her name wasn't Jen. It started with a T. very pretty lady, dressed in a dark suit. after it was all over, i just roamed, figured someone would see me, then I started seeing old friends and random people started coming up to me. it was pretty cool.

    I am glad that it was not like a support group type of thing. I really really wish I could have asked some questions (I feel a lot of the questions were common and cliche) I was looking for some in depth knowledge. I was lookin to slam (not in a negative way per se) but you know me.

    but it is my own fault for taking the worse freeway in the world (405) so I got there at 4:10pm.

    I don't think I would want to go to another cure convention, but I would like to go to another 'meet the scientist' where I can ask them questions. so if any event like that comes up in my area again, please let me know.

  3. #213
    I guess I have blondish hair but I am a full-time wheeler. Yeah, you absolutely want to get there early. We went from a handful of chairs at lunch to how many hundred for the evening. I'd plan to be there by 3...

    Did you get a program off the table when you came in? On the back...

    SAVE THE DATE.... Meet the Scientist Forum.

    MARCH 10, 2010

    I hope to see a lot of "us" there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    yep that was us. the other guy wasn't sci tho. he was there to help his friend who was a quad. he had a hat with long hair. I was sitting next to those guys, so you vaguely saw me.

    do you have blonde hair? if so, I know who you are now. hehehe. When one of the ladies was presenting the check/talking about the funding, a blonde lady stood to the left of her for awhile. she spoke at the beginning for a sec, but that was actually when I was talking to Dr. Hans for a split sec. a lady that kept standing by me where ever I went said something very positive about the lady holding the check, I thought perhaps it was you, so I says "oh I know her" assuming that was you holding the check because I thought you would be LOL. but her name wasn't Jen. It started with a T. very pretty lady, dressed in a dark suit. after it was all over, i just roamed, figured someone would see me, then I started seeing old friends and random people started coming up to me. it was pretty cool.

    I am glad that it was not like a support group type of thing. I really really wish I could have asked some questions (I feel a lot of the questions were common and cliche) I was looking for some in depth knowledge. I was lookin to slam (not in a negative way per se) but you know me.

    but it is my own fault for taking the worse freeway in the world (405) so I got there at 4:10pm.

    I don't think I would want to go to another cure convention, but I would like to go to another 'meet the scientist' where I can ask them questions. so if any event like that comes up in my area again, please let me know.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

    Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

    "I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

    Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

  4. #214
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    yep. I did. I might be there depending on the labs progress throughout the year.
    I will keep my eye open for Dr. Keirstead, but his plan is very complex and there maybe issues (esp here in the U.S) with multiple therapies and collaborating.

    People say we have the best medicine, which is true (but dont forget we make our money distributing them internationally ahem)

    but our healthcare system is one of the worst in the west,south america, and asia.

    too bad I didnt get a chance to chop it up over wine with you all, but one of these days.


    thanks Jen.
    Last edited by Imight; 03-13-2009 at 11:57 PM.

  5. #215
    Senior Member tarheelandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    546
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Kate.

  6. #216
    Senior Member kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    bellevue, wa, usa
    Posts
    10,992
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Thanks Kate.
    You're welcome.
    And I wanted to say that everyone who has ever financially supported Geron's work, or Hans Keirstead's work, is due a huge thanks from this community.

    If Geron had not taken the bit in their teeth and invested many millions of dollars in embryonic stem cell research (much of that money going to Hans' lab at UC Irvine), we would be nowhere.

    All the work of developing a safe way to grow esc's into the myelin-making OPCs, all the hassle of dealing with the FDA, all the setbacks, all the documentation, all the politics -- all of that would still be in the future.

    That they took this on in spite of Bush is so important, and imo saved us years.

    I'm talking to you, JenJen ($6,000 all by herself in a marathon last year), and to Karen and Fran ($350,000 over the last ten years) and Don Reed (the Roman Reed bill, which has put $1.5 million into scientists hands every year since 2000) and all the rest of the Californians who led the way. Thank you!

    I think I had put my laptop away on Wednesday by the time Os Steward said this, so it's not on the blog, but it's just so important. Here's the takeway:

    Scientists cannot get funding for research that helps chronics unless they can demonstrate that they're onto something promising. The only way they can do the work that demonstrates they're onto something promising is to spend money. (For example, what do you think it costs to keep and care for injured animals long enough to test therapies on them? $30,000 is one number I heard.)

    So, the money that JenJen and Karen and Fran and Don have been raising for the Reeve Irvine Center for the last several years is what made it possible for the researchers to get enough traction to attract other money, both from the feds and from the state and from the venture capitalists.

    It's a fact that without their initiative and efforts, there might be nothing coming out of those labs, instead of the big news we heard in CA last week.

  7. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Scientists cannot get funding for research that helps chronics unless they can demonstrate that they're onto something promising.
    Hopefully their acute trials are successful and draw the attention
    of investors.

  8. #218
    Senior Member kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    bellevue, wa, usa
    Posts
    10,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    Hopefully their acute trials are successful and draw the attention
    of investors.
    I'm absolutely certain that will happen. The acute trials will establish the safety of using cells carefully derived from hesc's; once people see that cell-based therapies are really within reach, the money will follow.

    I mean, if you think about this little acute therapy from the standpoint of an insurance company, hmmm. My husband's injury cost our insurer about 300k within the first month or so. They're going to be crying to see acutes recover.

    And there are labs all over the country hustling to be first with something--anything--that helps chronics. They'll get funded.

    The reason sci is first is Geron plus Reeve Irvine plus grassroots in CA.

  9. #219
    IMight-Can you define "cure convention" for me? It's kind of my occupation, but I've never heard it called that, or thought of it that way.

  10. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    IMight-Can you define "cure convention" for me?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKgp3cLd5A
    Last edited by Leif; 03-14-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Stephen Davies Lab Report
    By Schmeky in forum Cure
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 03:55 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 01:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
  4. Brooks Health opens research lab
    By Max in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:08 PM
  5. People with disabilities learn new ways to use PCs at Wayne State Lab (SCI)
    By antiquity in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •