Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: A visit to Dr. Keirstead’s lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Sorry to sound negative, but with politic delays and crisis, plus natural slowness of medicine, i think that many of us won´t see the biological fix.

When I get done I'll see a partial fix if I don't die from overdosing on lithium

Rollin Rick,

I guess what has irked me recently is Fampradine (4-AP) has been in clinical trials for 14 years going on 15 . . . . and still is not FDA approved. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin Rick View Post
    When I get done I'll see a partial fix if I don't die from overdosing on lithium
    Are you aware of any SCI's taking lithium? If so I'm sure there are many that would be interested in reading people's experiences.

Norm, I agree that an exectuive order by the president will help in the long run and hopefully will stop some of the duplication of effort with respect to building new research facilities to mirror existing research facilities so that the private funds that are supporting hesc can be put to use. I can't believe how much money has been spent for this type of construction in the past few years and is still on going. It's a sad waste when there are limited dollars to begin with.

I'm also frustrated by the fact that the Christopher Reeve Foundation feels they need to jump in the research game by having there own research facility when there is already good research in the pipeline that could use funding. I also read today where the Army wants to start it's own spinal cord injury research program?? what's up with that?

I'm sounding like a broken record but the quickest way to finish line is to narrow our countries and communities focus and put the dollars to the resources that have the highest probibility of success, and we are all posting in a thread topic about the guy that is going to do it.....Hans Keirstead.

Everybody seems to want to be in the research buisness and I say buisness because that's what it is, but very few research facilities can translate their discoveries into a cure. There's too much waste. Do you really want to wait another 10 or 15 years for a research project to bear fruit and then 10 or 15 years for clinical trials to take place before its readily avalible to everyone? Hell no you don't.

I feel this community has a right to demand that private foundations that exist and say they represent the SCI community, put their donated dollars to good use otherwise we are going to be reading the same old crap on this board 10 years from now. I'm sure the people that made those donations thought it would be helping the people that they either know or see in chairs now, not another generation of SCI people 20 or 30 years from now.
    Last edited by rjames; 02-25-2009 at 12:17 PM.

JenJen. Ive emailed him twice now. no response. I dont know if that means im on the list, but is there a way to verify? Id love to go, but Id hate to get there and be denied access. Is there any way you could help me? let me know. hit me up via pm for my aim/email addy...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Are you aware of any SCI's taking lithium? If so I'm sure there are many that would be interested in reading people's experiences.
    I thought about it. you may want to ask cjenessy (sp?) he's a user here in cali that has been researching and using lots of supplements. kinda embarrassing I can't remember his sn. Im better with real names hehehe

rjames,

I concur with your statements. There are to many different funding groups supporting their own research agendas.

Dr. Young is going to embark on a clinical trials infratructure in the USA. 2 already exist, this will be a third; more financial fragmentation of limited resources. How does the average SCI know which one to support? I am not criticizing Dr. Young, I know he is trying to accomplish an objective, but this can only result in more time required to get anything going.

I would sure love to hear from any researcher in the next few years, that a breakthrough in treating chroinc SCI has been achieved. Then we could more directly influence and direct the limited clinical trial resouces that will be available.

Schmeky"How does the average SCI know which one to support?"

How about supporting them all?

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    Schmeky"How does the average SCI know which one to support?"

How about supporting them all?
    Kim,
    How do you propose to support them all? there's not enough funding to go around as it is now, and with the finacial state of the world its only going to get worse. We need to be selctive on where the money goes so that specific research projects recieved enough funding to be completed not shelved because of lack of funds. I imagine there are several promising projects that are either slowed down or stopped because they ran out of cash.

Are there so many?-
    Can we skip any that might be the one?