Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to Dr. Keirstead’s lab.

lol! ccc is sending another spy to another lab to get more info, things are happening! great news!

I too am very interested in Hans Keirstead's work. Wow and thanks to those visiting his lab!! As with the visit to Dr. Davies' lab, the first hand reporting will be soooo greatly appreciated - THANKS AGAIN - it is exciting to think that we do live in a time when these projects might lead us forward (I bought my Reeve Foundation Superman "Go Forward" tags this morning ).

Hi, here is another group also that went to the lab

http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2...clerosis16.txt

UCI center trades points with patients

Multiple sclerosis patients tour UCI’s stem cell research center, where scientists say they are approaching breakthroughs they hope could save lives one day.

By Joseph Serna
    Reader Feedback - Currently No comments posted. Comments
    UC Irvine’s stem cell research center offered a tour Thursday to multiple-sclerosis patients, the people whom its research affects.

But the scientists switched hats at times from educator to student.

“We invite them in to advise us from time to time,” said Hans Keirstead, a lead stem cell scientist at the center. “Here we are in our ivory tower, spending the public’s money, and we want to make sure we’re accountable.”

Eight members of the Principal Coast Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society were given a tour with Keirstead and his fellow researchers that featured a tissue research lab and a state-of-the-art microscope used in stem cell research.

Scientists hope to use stem cells eventually to treat spinal cord injuries or even cure diseases like multiple sclerosis, a chronic disease that affects the central nervous system.

“We want to put a face on MS instead of having them just look at a (brain) lesion on a film,” said Nan Luke, a National Multiple Sclerosis Society member.

Luke is part of the patients’ advisory committee, a community advocacy group that works with UCI researchers.

Soon the scientists want to be able to use a slice of skin from the back of the ear to produce cloned cells from humans, Keirstead told the group.

A petri dish full of cloned cells from a person with MS is invaluable, Keirstead said.

“What you want to do is lay out 10 petri dishes with 10 groups of cells that have the MS gene. Five develop MS, and five don’t. Then you start asking questions,” clinical researcher Steven Cramer said.

Clinical research, or human experimentation, with MS patients and stem cells is distant, Keirstead said.

But with their first round of human research beginning on similar diseases expected to start next year, the eight were given hope.

“We’re pulling for you guys to come up with something, because this [stinks],” said Jim Kapko, who has multiple sclerosis.
    Why don't several from the US SCI organisation go there?

WAY TO GO
    THANK YOU
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

i was lucky enough to have a short tour down there about a month ago, w/ help from Karen Miner and my cousin Fran (works w/ Karen). it truly is a great place, Hans Keirstead and the rest of the researchers and staff there are doing great things. Karen and Research 4 Cure work tirelessly to raise money for Hans' labwork, and to bring about awareness, also.

i hope you are as impressed w/ them as i am...

We are confirmed for December 13. We'll keep you all updated. Expect our "report" probably the following Monday. Looking forward to sharing our observations with all of you.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Great Jen, and aside of oligodendrocyte inhibition of axon regrowth it would be an interesting Q to ask, how about the SCI studies on gray matter neuronal death and interneuronal understanding to aid further studies. Tnx upfront.

How did I miss this thread??? Way to go Jen - really looking forward to your report. Will there be much expense involved/are you nearby etc?

sorry double post

Hi Cherry,

We are really looking forward to the trip. Dr. Keirstead's lab is about 6 hours aways from Phoenix, so Brian and I will each drive over (can't ride together cuz we can't get both our chairs and other stuff in one vehicle) and we'll have 2 night's stay in Irvine.

I've also learned that we are going at a particularly exciting time. I don't know much more than that right now.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.