The Annual CALIFORNIA SPINAL CORD INJURY

“MEET THE SCIENTISTS” FORUM

March 11th, 2009

The Beckman Center

University of California, Irvine

4:00 pm – 6:00 pm

(check-in begins at 3:30 pm)

RSVP by Monday, February 23th, 2009

The California Spinal Cord Injury “Meet the Scientists” Forum brings together scientists from throughout California who received Roman Reed Spinal Cord Injury Research funds for forward thinking, novel spinal cord injury research projects and individuals touched by spinal cord injury.

The Forum gives individuals from the SCI community the opportunity to meet scientists directly, ask questions, and get a sense of SCI research today. Topics will include Prop 71, stem cells and other new research.

Please complete and return the attached registration form. Directions will be sent with your confirmation. Although space is limited, please feel free to pass this invitation along to others who you feel would benefit from and enjoy the meeting.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact

Anthony Tette

atette@uci.edu, 949-824-8735
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

JJ. Great, but any new news (one would let out off lab's)?

Bah, I can't go. Have fun though.

Some say some over there more believe in cyborg solutions than biological solutions to fix the injured cord. What do you guys hear?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Some say some over there more believe in cyborg solutions than biological solutions to fix the injured cord. What do you guys hear?
    I think is very possible, robotics and nanotechnology advances much faster than medicine. And they are fields without ethic and politic problems, and with more funds.
    Sorry to sound negative, but with politic delays and crisis, plus natural slowness of medicine, i think that many of us won´t see the biological fix.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    Sorry to sound negative, but with politic delays and crisis, plus natural slowness of medicine, i think that many of us won´t see the biological fix.
    Not negative at all, it just a slow moving endeavor. If you're 50 years old, or close to 50, I don't think you'll see it. SCI's in their late 30's or 40's it's probably doubtful. For those in their 20's or early 30's, there's a good choice they'll see some improvement in their lifetime; I certainly hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    Not negative at all, it just a slow moving endeavor. If you're 50 years old, or close to 50, I don't think you'll see it. SCI's in their late 30's or 40's it's probably doubtful. For those in their 20's or early 30's, there's a good choice they'll see some improvement in their lifetime; I certainly hope they do.

Back to the ole predictions eh?

Rollin RIck,

Not a prediction, just my opinion. Things have changed little in my 7 years of SCI.

We could hope that things are starting to move faster now you've elected an administration that doesn't have their warheads so far up their own ideology*********'s that they could only glimpse a microscopic ray of what common people refer to as common sense, through their navels.
    Things are lightning up except for the fact that your economy is so utterly ruined by (partly, I admit) the very same people as already mentioned.

Now If we could just get that Executive Order
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis