Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: A visit to Dr. Keirstead’s lab.

All of you who are interested in the "Meet the Scientists" forum should email Anthony Tette at: atette@uci.edu to register. UCI needs rsvp's by Feb. 23rd. Space is limited and registration is required. Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    All of you who are interested in the "Meet the Scientists" forum should email Anthony Tette at: atette@uci.edu to register. UCI needs rsvp's by Feb. 23rd. Space is limited and registration is required. Hope to see you there!
    registered.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post

They're looking at sci. Yes, subacute, and yes, a safety trial . . . but these people work at the Reeve Irvine Research Center. Their goal from day one was to help Chris Reeve, and their goal today is to find therapies that help chronics.

this may be a stupid question to ask them but humour me! - as it is a safety trial why can they not test it on a small number of chronics as well as subacutes? I mean chronics are stabilized, know what they are letting themselves in for, and would be more experienced in perceiving any changes good or bad. My thinking behind this question is that including chronics at this stage could be a great way of bringing in more support from the SCI community.
    Last edited by carbar; 02-06-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    this may be a stupid question to ask them but humour me! - as it is a safety trial why can they not test it on a small number of chronics as well as subacutes? I mean chronics are stabilized, know what they are letting themselves in for, and would be more experienced in perceiving any changes good or bad. My thinking behind this question is that including chronics at this stage could be a great way of bringing in more support from the SCI community.
    Hi, Barbara

My understanding is that the animal studies they did with this particular technique showed that there is a short window during which it's effective. They have reason to believe it will work on subacutes but not on chronics.

I'm there tomorrow . . . I'll ask the question for you.

k

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    carbar, I don't think it's a stupid question at all. I remember reading somewhere, if I read correctly, that animal studies for GRNOPC1 showed that the injected cells may reduce allodynia (neuropathic pain). Considering allodynia symptoms usually don't develop until the chronic phase, the only way to assess this would be to include some chronics in the trial. Anybody who suffers from severe neuropathic pain will tell you that this is the first and foremost thing they need to be cured of - that is before bb & sexual function and walking! Where do I sign up!!!
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

If a person has really good results from taking 4AP, does that mean they should see the same good results if allowed to participate in Geron’s trial?

4AP is believed to have beneficial effects on patients who have demyelinated axons and GRNOPC1 enhances remyelination, is this the same thing?
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

About the trial

and why it's aimed at people in the subacute phase (7-14 days post).

One of the reasons they think it has a chance at helping some newly injured people is this study, published results in 2005. From the abstract (summary):

Demyelination contributes to loss of function after spinal cord injury, and thus a potential therapeutic strategy involves replacing myelin-forming cells.

Here, we show that transplantation of human embryonic stem cell (hESC)-derived oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs) into adult rat spinal cord injuries enhances remyelination and promotes improvement of motor function.

OPCs were injected 7 days or 10 months after injury. In both cases, transplanted cells survived, redistributed over short distances, and differentiated into oligodendrocytes.

Animals that received OPCs 7 days after injury exhibited enhanced remyelination and substantially improved locomotor ability.

In contrast, when OPCs were transplanted 10 months after injury, there was no enhanced remyelination or locomotor recovery.

These studies document the feasibility of predifferentiating hESCs into functional OPCs and demonstrate their therapeutic potential at early time points after spinal cord injury.
    The rats that got the treatment 10 months post did not recover; the suspected reason is that the OPC's were unable to penetrate the scar and form new myelin.

(For those new to this, myelin is the coating that makes it possible for surviving axons to transmit their messages. OPC's are cells whose job it is to manufacture myelin.)

The best possible outcome of these trials would be if none of the patients experienced any harm (pain, spasticity, e.g.) and some of them (the one with surviving axons) experienced return of function. We will probably know by August.

Geron has slogged through a HUGE hurdle--the reluctance of the FDA to let anybody even TRY to use hesc's for anything at all. The reason not to give the cells to chronics now is that the scars would prevent anything from happening; this doesn't mean that labs all over the place are not trying to solve that problem. Once it is solved, the person who asked about whether good results from 4AP would mean that this therapy should work for them is right. 4AP works when there are de-myelinated axons, and so (hopefully) will OPC's.

Imight,
    Do you know what time the meeting is going to be at UCI?

Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by POPO367 View Post
    Imight,
    Do you know what time the meeting is going to be at UCI?

Enrique
    I emailed him that day. I've yet to hear anything back. Ill shoot him another email tomorrow morning but if I get no response, ill opt.