Thread: Changing screen names

Changing screen names

How can I go about changing my name? When I first come here, it was just a title. I didn't expect this to be such a tight little family niche. Now I'd like something a little more personal...
    Shannon

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=90943

Members cannot change their usernames. They can change their profile, password, email address, and all other information except for their username. We do not change usernames unless there is a very important reason.
    You can probably PM Wise or Steven to discuss this.
    Last edited by dan_nc; 11-18-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    Daniel

Why not just re-register under a new name? You could have "aka quad79" in your signature or "new name -- aka quad79." It will show up in all your new and previous posts. After awhile everyone here will know you by your new name.

Or how about having your real name in your signature? That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Why not just re-register under a new name? You could have "aka quad79" in your signature or "new name -- aka quad79." It will show up in all your new and previous posts. After awhile everyone here will know you by your new name.
    Ala's suggestion is a good one. Much as I do not want to encourage people to have multiple accounts, it is far more work and confusing for moderators and administrators to have to spend the time manually changing usernames for members. It has two other advantages. First, if your username is changed, it means that the name on all your previous posts will be changed, as well. Since people often refer to the username when they are posting, that may lead to confusion when people go back and read old threads. If you register under a new account, it does not change your old account... and you can, as Ala suggests, just say "aka quad79". Second, you can search for posts under the old username separately. Most people don't think about it but many members now have over 500 posts. The search mechanism is limited to 500 posts.

The only thing is that we require that every account have a unique email address. This is something that we implemented some time ago to try to reduce the number of spammer logins.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 11-22-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: sorry, i said unique password... I meant email address

I'll probably just leave it alone. Thanx though.

maybe by contacting the forum admin!?