Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detective work, please :)

Detective work, please :)

Hi all,

First off, good news. I left rehab this past Wednesday and have now returned home to begin outpatient rehab in a few weeks. Yay! I'm still quite weak and no where near as able as I used to be, but I'm starting to pick up tricks here and there that are making life a little easier and hopefully in a couple of months, I will return to the life I used to live.

In the meantime, I am trying to gather some information and I'm struggling a little. It could be that my brain is rusty from being out of school for the past couple of months, or I'm just not looking in the right places, so I thought I would turn to you guys to see if you can either help me out or point me in the right direction.

Without getting into too much detail, I'm trying to find either an Act or something similiar which would state when the use of external stabilization (spine board) became proper protocol when assessing injuries at an accident site. Was this already in practise in the 80's? Where could I find this info?

Also, apparently (according to my father), there have been cases in which ice was immediately applied to the injury site of a spinal cord injured individual which preserved the cord and prevented it from becoming worse. Is anyone aware of any literature stating such?

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. I'm still not 100%, so I'm finding it difficult to spend as much time as I used to in order to do this type of research.

I hope you are all well.

Welcome Back

Great to see you on the boards. I don't have an answer but I can tell you to go to info@paralysis.org and ask their librarian to do a literature search for you.

I had a friend who was injured in the late 70"s and SHock Trauma, Univesity of MD used ice on him and kept him in a hypothermic state for 2 plus weeks. He is pretty incomplete quad and he contributes it to literally being packed on ice.

Continue to GO FORWARD and feel stronger. Just as an FYI, a CC member had your name added to my NYC marathon shirt. You were on my left arm.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

SMOOCH SMOOCH SMOOCH SMOOCH!

Lots of Irish loving coming your way, hope you have beer, welcome back.

4000 posts!!! You are my 4000th YEAHHHH!!!

Welcome Back Kiran!

I would start with your local ambulance or fire service ... they should know whether that was protocol back then or not.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lots of good sources there so all I'm going to say is...........

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!

Kiran! So good to see you posting again! I can't help you find your answers but I just wanted to say hello and welcome back!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Kiran, glad to hear you are back home! you sure been through it! I broke L4&L5 in 1973 and I think they put ice on it then, but I'm not real sure.

Kiran have you contacted the Paramedic Academy at the Justice Institute of BC? I have a bunch of friends who are PCP's or ALS Paramedics. I'll ask them, could take awhile to track info down though.

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    Hi all,

First off, good news. I left rehab this past Wednesday and have now returned home to begin outpatient rehab in a few weeks. Yay! I'm still quite weak and no where near as able as I used to be, but I'm starting to pick up tricks here and there that are making life a little easier and hopefully in a couple of months, I will return to the life I used to live.

In the meantime, I am trying to gather some information and I'm struggling a little. It could be that my brain is rusty from being out of school for the past couple of months, or I'm just not looking in the right places, so I thought I would turn to you guys to see if you can either help me out or point me in the right direction.

Without getting into too much detail, I'm trying to find either an Act or something similiar which would state when the use of external stabilization (spine board) became proper protocol when assessing injuries at an accident site. Was this already in practise in the 80's? Where could I find this info?

Also, apparently (according to my father), there have been cases in which ice was immediately applied to the injury site of a spinal cord injured individual which preserved the cord and prevented it from becoming worse. Is anyone aware of any literature stating such?

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. I'm still not 100%, so I'm finding it difficult to spend as much time as I used to in order to do this type of research.

I hope you are all well.
    Kiran, congratulations on returning home.

I did a fair amount of Googling trying to find the answer for your spinal stabilization question. Thought the http://www.naemt.org/ might have the answer, but it's not there. I imagine if you contact them they could tell you, though.

I went through EMT training around 15 years or so ago. At that point, we were taught to use boards, collars, etc. so it's been around that long, at least.

I've heard that this is a good source of info, http://www.emedhome.com/

Don't know though, have never used it, I'll try & message a few friends tonight.