Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dolly Cloner Abandons SCNT, Joins Dark Side

Lindox, I never meant to imply that supporting reprogramming meant you had to stop supporting hESC research.

A bill to fund the research did fail to pass Congress in 2006 thanks to Democrats, though. That's a fact.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

This is yet another example of why we can't put all of our eggs in one basket. Every advance like this is putting another piece of the puzzle in place until the picture is finally clearly seen.

Any great discovery in science has always stood on the shoulders of the scientific community as a whole. This is why broad funding (ie NIH) is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Lindox, I never meant to imply that supporting reprogramming meant you had to stop supporting hESC research.

A bill to fund the research did fail to pass Congress in 2006 thanks to Democrats, though. That's a fact.
    Steven,
    Where was the MONEY in the bill your listing?
    Did you see it in the text? Perhaps it would have passed the House as it did the Senate if it hadn't of been so judgemental of hESC ALL thru it. As I said before ASC research has the funding..just no cell research has enough. I realize GOOD hESC research will NOT be coming from federal government funding, which is the American people as a whole.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Rita, the same place the money in hr810 was.

We agree that the NIH is underfunded. We agree that this is good news.

I'm happy now, but a bit disappointed that it didn't happen sooner. I'm disappointed that the technique wasn't discovered in America first. I'm disappointed that people worried about destroying embryos (like Brownback and Bush) didn't promote this research. I'm frustrated that advocates also failed to promote it.

Either side could have sped this discovery, but neither did.

But it's a moot point now. The technique is here, so let's use it and push it as hard and as fast as we can.

If a Republican wins in '08, we will be stuck with the same guidelines we have now. I would prefer the safer path, in this case the one less traveled.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Steven, if the stock is around $.23 are you buying?

Depends on the co's past performance. I'd say one of these techniques'll be huge by 2009.

Faith and (religion) you mean, eh?

Leif, ye of little faith. Lanza's looking out for his own backside.

Yamanaka's team successfully used hESC differentiation protocols to create cardiac and neural cells from iPS cells. There will be some differences, but this gives researchers a way to move forward that is free of political interference.
    Only Lanza? I just heard on national TV over here that Hans Keirstead also said this was not something that should or could take over for hESC research. iPS is good science though. Now researchers also have another tool. But, the fact that they produces nerve cells are not so huge in itself, those nerve cells have been made long time ago by ESC research. The issue is what to do with the nerve cells? You want to put them directly into a cord. No, didn’t think so, thereby more research on these cell systems is required, including hESC research. Cell transplantation for repair of CNS lesions is one of the most exciting new avenues in the field of Neuroscience. With regard to spinal cord injuries (SCI), however, neuronal replacement has received relatively little attention because SCI has been thought to be a "white matter" problem (oligodendrocyte inhibition of axon regrowth). However, recent evidence indicates that loss of gray matter also causes severe motor deficits, suggesting that restoration of the spinal gray matter may also play an important role in recovery. Regardless of the mode of SCI repair, a crucial question is whether regenerated axons or transplanted cells have the proper synaptic connections to ensure functional recovery. This has hardly been addressed in international research into spinal cord injury and is important to focus on. Not just those skin cells you get so exited about. I feel you are missing some important points.

Lindox, it was definitely expected, but it's a good development. It could have happened sooner if more people (on both sides) advocated for it.
    Good for you that you spent the last year in Japan. At least the conservatives and evangelical right bunch is exited about it. But how many SCI’d have they fixed, well aside of Brownback who claims to have over 72 stem cell cures, -I guess none.

Only for not for .

How will iPS be so great for SCI research to understand and fix a damaged spinal cord?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Only for not for .
    Cute, although I prefer different katakana for my name.

Name:  sutei-ben.png
Views: 56
Size:  570 Bytes

I'm heading out, but I'll reply later.

I'm heading out, but I'll reply later.
    Take care and have a good time, and don’t make iPS out of all that thanksgiving turkey skin at the dinner there now. The other dinner party guests might be suspicious.