Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dolly Cloner Abandons SCNT, Joins Dark Side

Dolly Cloner Abandons SCNT, Joins Dark Side

Leif,

Did you hear the news? Ian Wilmut says that dedifferentiation is the best way forward. He's a bad guy now. I expect he'll soon be experiencing your wrath?

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Cool Steven and Wilmut creating furore in the scientific community

Ha ha Steven . Why do you think I oppose SCNT? Have I said that? I for example support all basick resesearch. But like in my CC link here SCNT is disputed like good ole Wilmut also seems to agree upon. SCNT was supposed to be the all-best way some time ago, still SCI researchers I know have not agreed too much on that issue. And by Mr. Wilmut going the alternative Nippon (Steven) way now might also be disputed and a long shot? Is Wilmut a SCI researcher?

Anyway, hope you are Ok, and great you have the foot on the accelerator pedal. Nice website you and Scott created for NIH grants btw. I was planning to comment in you’re original thread on that issue but I forgot. So I want to say great job here then.

I don't think you oppose SCNT. I just wanted to let you know that Wilmut agrees it's a crappy way forward, as does new CIRM guy Trounson.

I'll bet my way will be proven in humans before yours is. Deal?

Thanks for the Congrats. It's going to get cooler.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Hi Steve and thanks. But what are my ways? And how to make a deal on that? My focus is simple, work for more funding to SCI research and remove any barriers, like the hESC barrier etc. And if it is allowed () to do research on skin cells in Japan to find a SCI cure and some believes in that, I guess it is fine by me.

As for you’re website, where exactly do you gather the data, from NIH I believe but exactly where? Also, am I allowed to use you’re “recently awarded spinal cord injury grants” link on a SCI website over here? We will credit you and Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Hi Steve and thanks. But what are my ways?
    Forcing people to accept HR810-like bills and SCNT is your way of overcoming the hESC barriers, reprogramming is mine. Sound accurate?

And how to make a deal on that?
    Good question. If you win, I'll eat whatever crazy Norwegian dish you want. If I win, I'll send you a recipe for some crazy American dish to try. I have two in mind.

My focus is simple, work for more funding to SCI research
    See, you should just limit your effort to that. Forget about stem cells and let scientists do their work without the public telling them what to focus on.

As for you’re website, where exactly do you gather the data, from NIH I believe but exactly where?
    From the NIH, yeah. They have a database of funded grants available. Unfettered access is $5,000 a year, while the route I used is available free from their rather crappy CRISP interface.

Also, am I allowed to use you’re “recently awarded spinal cord injury grants” link on a SCI website over here? We will credit you and Scott.
    Of course, and credit isn't necessary. Just spread the word.

Grants funded by the Canadian and UK governments will be added in the future, as will grants from elsewhere. Before that, though, some issues with the current system need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Forcing people to accept HR810-like bills and SCNT is your way of overcoming the hESC barriers, reprogramming is mine. Sound accurate?
    If I had forced someone all would have been Ok by now. Thing is one have to get engaged and do things. And when and where was I ever a spokesperson for SCNT? Reprogramming sounds accurate? More basick research to understand the cord seems more accurate to me.
    Good question. If you win, I'll eat whatever crazy Norwegian dish you want. If I win, I'll send you a recipe for some crazy American dish to try. I have two in mind.
    Only bark bread for you so far, me in return? Gravy and potato fries?
    See, you should just limit your effort to that. Forget about stem cells and let scientists do their work without the public telling them what to focus on.
    Forget about our building blocks and the understanding of that? You reaaly need two bark breads
    From the NIH, yeah. They have a database of funded grants available. Unfettered access is $5,000 a year, while the route I used is available free from their rather crappy CRISP interface. Of course, and credit isn't necessary. Just spread the word.

Grants funded by the Canadian and UK governments will be added in the future, as will grants from elsewhere. Before that, though, some issues with the current system need to be addressed.
    All good.

If I had forced someone all would have been Ok by now. Thing is one have to get engaged and do things. And when and where was I ever a spokesperson for SCNT? Reprogramming sounds accurate? More basick research to understand the cord seems more accurate to me.
    Come now. Have you forgotten our spirited discussions on the stem cell issue? You seem to enjoy criticizing Fr. Tad and the uncontroversial methods of obtaining hESCs like reprogramming.

Maybe we should agree on the barrier first? I believe the barrier is the limited number of hESC lines available to researchers, which was put in place by Bush. I think we agree there.

We diverge when it comes to the best way to increase the number of hESC lines available to federally funded researchers. Am I right so far?

Only bark bread for you so far, me in return? Gravy and potato fries?
    I was thinking of Rocky Mountain Oysters for you, but it looks like you're playing nice. Have you ever had (or heard of) boiled peanuts?

Forget about our building blocks and the understanding of that? You reaaly need two bark breads
    I didn't say that. I said let the scientists choose their research.

All good.
    Is Norway's medical research grant database online, with english abstracts available?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Come now. Have you forgotten our spirited discussions on the stem cell issue? You seem to enjoy criticizing Fr. Tad and the uncontroversial methods of obtaining hESCs like reprogramming.
    Steven - Fr. Tad clown and Co. has noting to do with research and that was my point back then and still is, if you think he will be the lighthouse for curing SCI then so be it. Fr. Tad gives a rats ass, how many SCI publications have he produced?
    Maybe we should agree on the barrier first? I believe the barrier is the limited number of hESC lines available to researchers, which was put in place by Bush. I think we agree there.
    I do agree on Bush but does not agree as such. On the limitations Swedish researchers from the Karolinska Institute offered cell lines to the US in ‘06, it was rejected (of course due to policy). So cell lines are not the issue.
    We diverge when it comes to the best way to increase the number of hESC lines available to federally funded researchers. Am I right so far?
    Point is not necessarily the amount of lines, but more to study this cell system. As such there are plenty and you are wrong, fund it and take it further. You have enough lines to study. Funding is the issue.
    I was thinking of Rocky Mountain Oysters for you, but it looks like you're playing nice. Have you ever had (or heard of) boiled peanuts?
    No, and not mine peanuts I hope
    I didn't say that. I said let the scientists choose their research.
    Choose? With SCI’d ppl involved in the process to say we are here in joint ventures to gain speed towards a cure, and not general bogus research like the multitude of spices in nature, which one normally does not eat either, we can fix this.
    Is Norway's medical research grant database online, with english abstracts available?
    Difficult to navigate I will assume, but here is one link to the research council, just click English but this is only one place to find information. Aside of that, close to nothing and even close to nothing is founded by our crappy state towards basic research. The goal of our gov was 3% of GDP for basic research but we fall short compared to Denmark and especially Sweden, still we have quite a good SCI lab program here, which is the most important thing. What is the GDP spending on medical basic research in the US btw?

Very bad

He is giving strong arguments to ESC research opponents. Very bad.

Steven - Fr. Tad clown and Co. has noting to do with research and that was my point back then and still is, if you think he will be the lighthouse for curing SCI then so be it. Fr. Tad gives a rats ass, how many SCI publications have he produced?
    Leif, Fr. Tad's views have everything to do with why Bush is holding back research. Not because they are Fr. Tad's, but because many people (including Bush) view a zygote and everything after as a person. That's been my point.

If ESCs can be obtained without destroying what many people believe to be a human life, the science can progress no matter who becomes President in '08. I can see a lot of people voting against Hillary or Obama if they become the Democratic nominee because they don't fit the white/male profile, opting instead to vote for whichever white male Republicans choose as their nominee. (Romney may be the exception there, unless he makes a JFK-style speech about being Mormon.)

I do agree on Bush but does not agree as such. On the limitations Swedish researchers from the Karolinska Institute offered cell lines to the US in ‘06, it was rejected (of course due to policy). So cell lines are not the issue.
    You're misunderstanding. The only lines that can be used with federal funds are those prior to August 2001 and those derived without destroying or harming an embryo.

Point is not necessarily the amount of lines, but more to study this cell system. As such there are plenty and you are wrong, fund it and take it further. You have enough lines to study. Funding is the issue.
    Funding is one issue, but the WARF patents and older lines are another.

No, and not mine peanuts I hope
    Not unless your peanuts are green.

Read.

Difficult to navigate I will assume, but here is one link to the research council, just click English but this is only one place to find information. Aside of that, close to nothing and even close to nothing is founded by our crappy state towards basic research. The goal of our gov was 3% of GDP for basic research but we fall short compared to Denmark and especially Sweden, still we have quite a good SCI lab program here, which is the most important thing. What is the GDP spending on medical basic research in the US btw?
    Less than one quarter of 1% for medical research.