Thread: anti-motility medication/lower motor neuron

anti-motility medication/lower motor neuron

having a worsening problem since i stopped taking ultram over a moth ago, one of the benefits with ultram i noticed years ago , i had less of a constant urge to empty the bowels, now its 7 or 8 times a day at least. i have a lower motor neuron injury, CES, so stool softener= accidents
    i take fibercon 2 tabs 3 times a day , which really helps with me with a quick non digital stim evacuation.
    however i will have to find another bathroom in 2 hours.
    without the fibercon, i have a hard time evacuating, and cant be doing digital stim in busy nyc restrooms with a line outside the door . i eat plenty of fiber, i really dont want to keep the crap inside me longer than necessary, however it becomes very hard to live my life around bathrooms, and since i use a recumbent bicycle a lot in warmer weather , locking up the bike to get to a bathroom could leave me stranded with nyc bike thieves,
    i tired a low dose of immodium and felt like i still had to go all the day long, it made it harder to evacuate quickly i think?.
    i still take 10 mg amitriptyline at night and usually 1 percocet. i was thinking of asking my doctor for loperamide, is that what they give you in Mexico for the 2 step?

Sounds like you need to strategize what's going to work best. The bowels have a few separate although related concepts.
    1) the stool needs to get to the rectum
    2) the stool needs to be evacuated easily
    3) no accidents in between, especially with a lower motor neuron lesion. You are right, the increased stool softener the more accidents.
    So, take each step of your program- the fiber pills, the digital stimulation vs no digital stimulation, fluids, exercise, other meds and decide which aspect needs the help.

JM

Metro - sorry to hear that immodium slows things down too much for you. I have a lot of accidents without immodium. It does slow me down but I'm not in a rush when I go and even then I don't do dig stim - it just takes longer on the toilet. Let us know what you decide to do - I'm always looking for ways to improve my bowel "program." Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

I use a sublingual (under the tongue-fast acting) form of Levsin when my IBS acts up. There is a regular oral form of this drug that might help either instead of or with immodium to slow things down a little.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Diet can also be used. If you are trying to firm up stool, avoid coffee and drink black tea instead. Add cheese (not processed cheese...real cheese) and try eating banana chips (dried banana slices, check out your healthfood store or Trader Joe's for these).

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Diet can also be used.

(KLD)
    Besides the trail mixes heavy in dried bananas (love them) I also snack on low fat granola. You really need to read labels on granola. It may be high fiber but a lot of it is really high fat too.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

thanks for the replies, i think i need to unconstipate my self first, and see what happens

i usually have golf balls, today i got into city and i went 4 times in 6 hours, had to go a 5th in but held off till i got home. since bathrooms were in a poor state in the train station, i am sure i went 3 times before leaving, so were talking at least 8 times a day..i drimf plenty of water eat 2 large apples a day, eat a lot of nuts and other fruit.. lot of vegetable in my dinner...
    switched back to oatmeal for breakfast. trred some prunes tonight, i notice if i eat more than a couple of prunes , it causes me great abdomen ditress, o ris that the peanuts?
    6 generic costco fiber con a day