Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shingles Vaccine

Blog Entries

Question Shingles Vaccine

I had chicken pox as a kid. Do I run any risks being around someone at Thanksgiving who has been recently vaccinated for Shingles? (They will have been vaccinated nine days ago)

I know with a C5 SCI I have a slightly compromised immune system.

I would ask your sci doctor. I would think that 9 days is probably safe, plus you have already had the chicken pos, but better safe than sorry. Shingles are not a lot of fun.
    CKF

Blog Entries
    Thank you.

Is it possible to have had chicken pox with no symptoms? I was the only kid in my family, 3 siblings, not scratching in a weird sychronized pattern over a couple weeks. I was exposed to it closely in the army, got a sore throat, was quarentined for 2 days but no rash or fever.. Never had the vaccine. Been exposed incredibly closely to shingles, the spousal unit the first year post injury. Now my MIL has it again and I am wondering if I should get a chicken pox vaccine, shingles vaccine or an antibody test for the chicken pox.

Ideas, opinions, natural resistance?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Get a chicken pox titer done to be sure. Even if you had them, your titer may not stay up through late adulthood. Shingles vaccine is strongly recommended for anyone over about 60, even if you have had chicken pox in the past. It is not a guarantee...but it reduces your risk of getting shingles by about 50%. Much of the research done on this was done at the hospital where I work, so we push this pretty hard.

(KLD)

I wish I had had it before fgetting them back a couple months ago!!!! Damm they hurt,,,"nerve endings" as if we need anymore pain there!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Get a chicken pox titer done to be sure. Even if you had them, your titer may not stay up through late adulthood. Shingles vaccine is strongly recommended for anyone over about 60, even if you have had chicken pox in the past. It is not a guarantee...but it reduces your risk of getting shingles by about 50%. Much of the research done on this was done at the hospital where I work, so we push this pretty hard.

(KLD)
    Thanks, I'll add that to the next blood work. There is no chance of getting shingles if I test negative for any chicken pox exposure? I mean you can't get shingles from the vaccine or the chicken pox vaccine? I'm weird, also only had mumps on one side.

I vaguely remember be told I was little too old for the first version of the chicken pox vaccine and that one had a chance of the person getting shingles later in life.

And I would advise all caregivers to get the shingles vaccine no matter your age soon after your family member is injured. I've seen the stress of the situation cause shingles in many people. Same with any long term stress situation.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My mom is just getting over it! sounds painful!\
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Sue if your titer is low you definitely should get it, and may need a regular chicken pox vaccination too. You are esp. vulnerable if you have contact with someone who has chicken pox, or active shingles.

(KLD)

You don't want this malady. I was hospitalized Nov.14 and spent an agonizing 50 hours in the hospital. They didn't notice the rash. No pain meds, would only give tranquillizers...which didn't touch pain. At discharge, I asked doc why was I running fever and what is this rash. He said, oh, look at that, you have shingles......Shingles is more painful than my thorancotomy.

Another interesting thing is my grand daughter (2 yrs old) had been immunized 3 weeks prior and spent the day and night with me. Not sure what her shot was but ???????

I have tried to put pic, not sure if is gonna work.