Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote car starter - any risk to modifications?

Question Remote car starter - any risk to modifications?

Hey,
    I have a 94 Ford econoline van... I've wanted a remote car starter for it for awhile... nothing fancy, just the basic remote start... I never got it done when I originally got it cause the guys who put my van together said it wouldn't be a good idea, they thought extra wiring and signals flashing thru the electronics might wear out the components or stuff... but a friend of mine I was talking to figured that was likely just talk from guys who wren't experts in electronics and didn't have familarity w/ starters... and that todays starters would be much differet than back in 94 in terms of "taxing" the electronics. Anyone know if its ok or if there are any risks to other components for my adaptive stuff?

I have a remote (2 button) that opens my 60/40 doors and drops my ramp, or vica versa and raises/closes them (theres also a key slot over the back tire and toggles in the van that do the same).... I've got zero effort steering & gas/break.... and on my push/pull cane for gas/break I've got a little 9 button keypad wired up for quick access to control the wipers, wiper spray, lights, high beams, both signals + 4-ways, fan speed, cruise control on, off set, & resume... and in front of the keypad they wired up an extra push button I can poke for the horn (obviously all to avoid me having to reach for everything)... on my gas/break cane I have one of those tri-pin hand grips to hold... I can "rock" it left/right to engage the turn signals, or hold it to either side for 4 seconds to engage the 4-way flashers. I have an electronic tied down that locks a peg under my chair in place so I can drive from my chair... theres a toggle switch release on the dash that electronically releases it when pushed. Thats my setup.... but all the standard stuff in the van works normally.. my adaptions are just "add-ons" for me.

Anyone have a similar type setup and a remote starter? Anyone know if a remote starter could harm/interfere with any of that stuff?

A push of a button to start your engine ...

Remember January 1995?

Just south of you in Cleveland, Ohio it was minus twenty degrees below zero,
    -20°! It was cold that morning! I tried to go to work that morning. I was able to get into my van but didn't have enough energy in my battery to turn over my VW Vanagon. After that experience I got a simple remote starter installed.

For the stuff your friend told you about taxing electronics is false information based upon myths. A remote starter is worth its weight in gold. I have a simple remote starter on my presence VW Eurovan. No problems what so ever.

If you decide to get a remote starter? Have a professional install it for you. Ask the dealer, "How many remote starters have you installed?" Have someone install it with experience.

A remote starter will not damage any of your other electronics or adaptations in your van.

A remote starter starts your engine so you can defrost your front and rear windows when snow and ice are on them and still have enough energy to get inside your vehicle safely.

titanium4motion

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion
    Remember January 1995?

Just south of you in Cleveland, Ohio it was minus twenty degrees below zero,
    -20°! It was cold that morning! I tried to go to work that morning. I was able to get into my van but didn't have enough energy in my battery to turn over my VW Vanagon. After that experience I got a simple remote starter installed.
    I live in Northwestern Ontario... we average -20C in January. ;-) -40C with windchill is a regular for 1-3 weeks every winter. (a block heater helps btw) But thanks for the story... it has good relevance... I did that last year... got up my ramp, tried to kick it over & it was dead... couldn't get out neither... had to phone a friend to come over and manually jack my ramp & me out. :-(

Cool so it should be no worry? Ok, good to hear... yah, theres a few places in town that specialize in starters & audio so I'll go talk to them.

Any suggestions on a reliable brand? Or minimum range? 1000ft?
    Last edited by RJC; 11-15-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Avital

Avital is the brand I have in my VW Eurovan.

One thousand feet if a fair distance.

Just make sure you have spare batteries on hand for the remote.

See attached brochure.

http://www.avital.com/

titanium4motion
    credit: avital.com

t4m is correct. remote starters should not cause any interference to existing equipment if installed and wired correctly. i have one in my old car. it's certainly worth your time and money to find an installer who knows what he's doing though.

What is a fair price to have one of these installed? I had some guy tell me $50 an hour and he had no clue how long it would take him. Obviously I didn't let him do it. I have one I got for Christmas last year but didn't ever put it on. Thank goodness since my truck burned to toast. Anyway I wanted to put it on my new truck.
    Thanks for starting this thread.

Here in Alaska just about everyone has a remote starter. It doesn't cause any problems at all. But make sure that whoever installs it is a professional. Lots of my friends have installed it themselves and have had MAJOR problems. And get it programmed to your needs (doors locking, unlocking, lights on - that kind of stuff) if that is possible. The only issue I know of is on some newer cars I have heard that it can void a warranty on certain items.

RJC,
    My best friend runs a shop that has been is business for 30 yrs and does more starters than any shop I know. I have had them on my cars for 15 yrs without a problem. I recommend a two way FM starter that allows the remote and car to "talk " to each other. This way you get a confirmation that your car is started, locked etc.

Don't know where in Ontario you are, but they are in Whitby, about 20 mins east of toronto.

If you have any questions, I will get answers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    What is a fair price to have one of these installed? I had some guy tell me $50 an hour and he had no clue how long it would take him. Obviously I didn't let him do it. I have one I got for Christmas last year but didn't ever put it on. Thank goodness since my truck burned to toast. Anyway I wanted to put it on my new truck.
    Thanks for starting this thread.
    Hey Addiesue post some pics of your new truck. How do you like it?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Here's another thread that talked about this too:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=76245

There was some concern about electronics asked also, I can't see how this could hurt anything. Mine does have 1 quirk, every once in awhile when I get out and leave engine running, I can't get my ramp to go in until I shutdown the engine, then ramp button works. Since my ramp is tied into my factory keyfob, figure there is some hiccup about having the engine running while trying to do the door, but no biggie.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"