Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with fever & shakes/chills: never happened before

help with fever & shakes/chills: never happened before

Friday the 2nd at night, spiked a fever 101-103 (very high for me, normally run very low, a fever for me is 98.8)... weekend so I had to go to urgent care... they saw my supra tube and jumped to bladder infection despite me saying they needed to look further... gave me levaquin 750 based only on UA (I thought they had also taken a culture, but no). I took it because that's all I had. Definitely not the flu... my head feels absolutely fine, I really don't feel that bad overall aside from tired & shaking.
    went & saw my doctor last Monday... too late to do a culture because I'd started levaquin.. slowly got better, fever came down etc. & doctor stopped levaquin after five days
    2 days later fever & chills started again... not as bad (fever around 99.5-100.5)... doctor got a urine sample for a culture & opted to restart the levaquin until the results came back...
    I've never had a bladder infection do this before. fielding opinions on wtf is going on & what do I need to do if the culture comes back negative &/or fever doesn't go away? What should I have them start looking for? Basically, symptoms are fever & chills/shakes and that's it...all my functions are functioning (bowel & bladder are working)... chest x-ray is good...Can't feel pain below my chest, but & I would think severe internal pain would cause some dysreflexia, but I'm having no problems with that.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wchair
    Friday the 2nd at night, spiked a fever 101-103 (very high for me, normally run very low, a fever for me is 98.8)... weekend so I had to go to urgent care... they saw my supra tube and jumped to bladder infection despite me saying they needed to look further... gave me levaquin 750 based only on UA (I thought they had also taken a culture, but no). I took it because that's all I had. Definitely not the flu... my head feels absolutely fine, I really don't feel that bad overall aside from tired & shaking.
    went & saw my doctor last Monday... too late to do a culture because I'd started levaquin.. slowly got better, fever came down etc. & doctor stopped levaquin after five days
    2 days later fever & chills started again... not as bad (fever around 99.5-100.5)... doctor got a urine sample for a culture & opted to restart the levaquin until the results came back...
    I've never had a bladder infection do this before. fielding opinions on wtf is going on & what do I need to do if the culture comes back negative &/or fever doesn't go away? What should I have them start looking for? Basically, symptoms are fever & chills/shakes and that's it...all my functions are functioning (bowel & bladder are working)... chest x-ray is good...Can't feel pain below my chest, but & I would think severe internal pain would cause some dysreflexia, but I'm having no problems with that.
    Thanks
    My guess, UTI~

I was just like you 2 wks ago.
    Got Leviquin. But they did do a culture.
    When it came back I had two bacteria's.
    They added Microbid.
    When both ran out.
    Right back sick. Same symtoms.
    Gave them another sample.
    Taking Cipro till the results come back.
    Last pill tomorrow. grrrr

Did you doze off all the time?
    I did that too.

Welcome to the board.
    Will say a prayer for you.
    God Bless~

Nurse will have great advise soon.

In the meantime, could be a uti and they just haven't id'ed the bug yet. The C&S should pinpoint the bug and drug IF it's a UTI. If you continue to run a high fever, go to the ER. I've been fighting with sepsis myself so, don't play around. Good luck and PLEASE, let us know how you are.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Best guess- UTI. Fever and chills are hallmarks of a uti. In the meantime, DRINK plenty of fluids (3 liters, if at all possible), preferably water. Try to stay away from caffeine and alcohol.

If your fever returns while you are on the antibiotic, call your doc or go immediately to the ER. Sepsis is nothing to fool around with and can happen quickly. Your C & S should be back soon.

CKF

thanks for the advice, this 2nd go around of levaquin doesn't appear to be taking things in the right direction like before, fever 99.5 + seems to be getting worse, as do shakes instead of better like last time

how do I know if sepsis is starting? if I go to ER how do I get them to look beyond my bladder-they always get the UA & assume...
    Thanks

I only get the chills and bad fever with an e coli uti.

ok, we finally got a culture back & they're switching me to bactrim-I was under the impression that levaquin would have killed anything that bactrim would... so I'm confused

by the way Mona, I hope you get better soon

Hi Wchair,

Whenever a SCI'd person gets a UTI it should be treated as a "Complicated" infection. With Cipro, if you're able-bodied and have a UTI, it's treated for 3-5 days usually taking 500-750mgs x 2 a day. A Complicated UTI should be treated for 10 days with that dosage. If the kidneys are involved then it should be treated for at least 20 days.

Of course it's best to give a urine sample before any antibiotic is taken so an accurate C&S (Culture & Sensitivity) test can be performed and the best antibiotic prescribed when the results come back in 3 days.

Sometimes you need to insist on having a C&S test performed because not all doctors are familiar with the differences between a SCI'd person and an able-bodied person. I think a C&S test should always be performed on everybody so the correct antibiotic can be prescribed and only the dosage and length of time taking the antibiotic should be an issue.

Maybe the Levaquin was working but you didn't take it long enough to kill off all the bacteria. And of course the weaker bacteria are killed off first leaving the stronger or more resistant ones to the antibiotic left to multiply. That's why it's so important to take the properly prescribed full prescription. If the C&S test showed that Bactrim (Septra) was just as effective as the Levaquin then they try to save the broad-spectrum antibiotic for when it's really needed. Levaquin and Cipro are some of the big guns (shotguns) but sometimes a more targeted and narrow-spectrum antibiotic will be the best antibiotic.

The world of bacteria is a very fascinating and finicky one.

I hope you're feeling better soon and you get all those nasty germs killed off. Nothing like having normal smelling, non-cloudy and even shimmering urine.

It's the little things in life that make it worth living.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by wchair
    ok, we finally got a culture back & they're switching me to bactrim-I was under the impression that levaquin would have killed anything that bactrim would... so I'm confused

by the way Mona, I hope you get better soon
    Thank you~
    Hope the bactrim works wonders!
    I haven't a clue about what antibiotics cures what.

I took Cipro 5 days x 2 @
    Today was my last pill.
    I bought me some i-Flora Probiotics,
    to try and get my good bateria back!

Each bacteria has certain groups of antibiotics that work better to kill it. That's why the sensitivity. Sometimes, there are more than one drug that works well- given that the Levaguin didn't cure it the first time, they may have decided to try another drug to see if it works better (of course, paying attention to the sensitivity.)

If you are going to the ER and need to get your point across, I have two tips for you. Neither are guaranteed to work, but certainly help.

1. If you can get your primary care doc to call ahead for you and ask them to order certain tests, that helps.

2. Take an advocate with you. Someone that knows you and your needs. Sometimes two heads are better than one.

CKF