Thread: Minor issues for the nurses

Minor issues for the nurses

I seem to have spasms when I stand and do a little bit of walking. it has become annoying, however, it doesnt matter how much baclofen i take, the spasms are the same, its interferring with my walking. Do I need the baclofen pump? perhaps I have a UTI? I dont get it. There's a slight burn at the 'tip', but my urine is coming out clear, and it doesnt smell bad. Im not a big fan of antibiotics, but if i were to go the cranberry juice route, how much should i drink, how often, and for how many days? Id like to try that, see what happens, and see if in fact I have a UTI and if thats the cause of my spasm. If its not that, what else could be the reason for such spasms?

second question....

how long does it take for (spinal cord) swelling to go down?

The second question is a quicker answer than the first so I will start there. It generally takes 18 months to 2 years for the swelling to completely subside. However, the first 6-8 months are generally when you will see the most change.

Spasticity is a "warning" system - much like pain is to those who don't have a sci. Anything could be triggering the increase, although one of the more common causes is a uti. My guess from what you shared is that it is not a uti, however the only way to be sure is to have a culture done. Even if it's not a uti, that doesn't rule out the bladder completely- it could be stones.

There is not good evidence in the research to support using cranberry juice, although the antecdotal information on this site certainly does. Whether you have a uti or not- cranberry juice does not hurt you. It does however contain a lot of calories, so try the light or mix some water with the regular. I would drink 2-4 glasses a day- but I am not sure what others would tell you.

Hope this helps.

CKF

I think there may be a problem and I dont think its a UTI. I feel like I have a hernia, but I know its not that. The pain is some where on my right side, around where the rib cage begins another sharp pain at the bottom of the rib cage, and slight discomfort on my right testicle. I sure do hope its not stones, how in the world would I get rid of that? I cant 'pee' them out using a cath.

Ah now im getting scared.

Im going to see my doctor, but thats not until next monday. I just bought some cranberry juice, so lets see what happens I guess....

til then what do you recommend?

=(