Thread: Start up

Start up

I use windows XP professional. When I turn my computer on I do not know how to control the programs that activate. On top of that I managed to make some areas of my computer inaccessible while I was trying to figure out how to control the programs that activate when I turn on my computer.

One more detail that may or may not be relevant. The computer I am using here at the nursing home was taken from my law office where it was part of a large network and connected to a server. The area that is inaccessible to me are files that were kept on my computer as well as the server and synchronized daily. I desperately need those files.

Thank you for any help!

K the first parts easy....

Click Start -> Run Then type msconfig. That'll bring up the config file. Click the startup tab, and thats everything that starts when your comp starts.

You're second is a bit different/harder. Make sure you are logged in with the right user/pass.
    Can you see them? Check the permissons on it, and make sure you have read/write permisson.

I've never used syncro so, not sure if/have that'll effect them.

You might also want to go to the Start, Programs, startup category, and delete any items that you don't want to start when you boot up
    mike

a good, free startup manager program is this -> http://www.download.com/Startup-Opti...-10529547.html

startup optimizer. i keep it on my comp. just in case you're unsure of a program, it tells if it's needed, optional etc.