Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    You're right; it eluded me. You sometimes come off as more snide than sarcastic, and that's how it seemed to me. Woops.
    We do sarcastic as a regular thing; snide is thrown in free of charge.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

If reincarnation does happen, I must have been a really lousy person in my last life.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Sean, In Hinduism it is not so much that one becomes one with another as much as it is a letting go of existence. Reincarnation, by Hindu belief, happens because one is not yet finished with samsara (the earthly existence) because of grasping and attachment. Only when the person has given up attachment do they then enter the state of nirvana.......which is nothingness. It is often described as a candle being blown for the final time out after having been relit many times. The soul no longer craves, no longer thinks in terms of duality, instead realizing the intinsic nothingness to which we attach meaning.

When you look at reincarnation from a purely logical point of view, it is obviously groundless and therefore untenable, which makes it irrational to hold.

I welcome someone to convince me otherwise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCraig
    When you look at reincarnation from a purely logical point of view, it is obviously groundless and therefore untenable, which makes it irrational to hold.

I agree with you. Once on earth is enough.

Well I think you will have a hard time finding anybody to convince you otherwise since the major religions that believe in reincarnation (judaism, hindusim, maybe buddhism?) do not seek converts and it's not important to them that you believe in reincarnation.

Eileen - thank you for explaining the Hindu concept of reincarnation. The metaphor was actually helpful in illustrating how it works (the metaphor of the candle).

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Well I think you will have a hard time finding anybody to convince you otherwise since the major religions that believe in reincarnation (judaism, hindusim, maybe buddhism?) do not seek converts and it's not important to them that you believe in reincarnation.
    With one irrational, unsubstantiated, superstition-based belief or belief system after another, this is your basic response: "it's not necessary/important to them/me that you believe the same as we/I do". Lucky you don't have to substantiate any of them, eh?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    With one irrational, unsubstantiated, superstition-based belief or belief system after another, this is your basic response: "it's not necessary/important to them/me that you believe the same as we/I do". Lucky you don't have to substantiate any of them, eh?
    If that's your definition of lucky, then yes I am! LOL

I believe in reincarnation, I have always believe in it...

Hi william,Im interested in your rationale behind your statement. Why is reincarnation illogical?