Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCraig
    If reincarnation makes it possible for me to come back as a howler monkey... who have a tendency to pick up their own excrement and throw it at people... I'm sorry, but, if this is possible, then I'm definitely affected by this.
    How are you affected by reincarnation when you do not believe in it. Saying you believe it or don't believe it doesn't change its existence or non-existence.

Any religious belief affects us in some kind of way.
    Your religious beliefs in reincarnation may affect you - that's between you and G-d. My religious belief in reincarnation does not affect you and does not determine whether or not reincarnation itself will affect you.

Isn't faith placing hope in that which you reason to be true? Therefore, don't we all live in faith?
    Oops, back to crossing either with or against the red/green traffic light.

From earliest infancy we begin testing reality for consistencies; what works (wail and get changed/stroked/fed) is reinforced and what don't isn't. We incorporate what our experience with our environment bears out as effective. For the rest of our conscious lives we are more or less constantly testing out concepts/beliefs about reality against our environment(s).

This is one of the reasons that isolation tanks, which rob us of almost all sensory input, are so effective in producing mental states of disassociation and hallucination; we are so used to bringing information to ourselves through our senses that, in its absence, we produce delusional input to fill the void.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hey there Eileen. Glad to read more of my posts, I'm sure you are.

no real point beyond giving yourself the chance to call everyone else's beliefs fallacious and irrelevant
    I'm not calling everyone else's beliefs fallacious and irrelevant. I'm not even calling reincarnation fallacious and irrational. It being fallacious and irrational logically follows from your presentation of it.

I am actually beginning to wonder if you just enjoy writing the same sentences over and over
    Well, it gets annoying, but I'm a patient man. You guys are doing nothing, so far, but seemingly agreeing with it, so I'm simply typing that which you agree with. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

If they are irrelevant to you why do you persist in asking the same questions?
    Because I could come back as an animal or a human being at a low level in life and I want to figure whether or not this is actually going to happen.

Your pink elephant mockery was not parody
    *sigh*

I am actually beginning to wonder if you just enjoy writing the same sentences over and over, with no real point beyond giving yourself the chance to call my parody a mockery.

SEAN

How are you affected by reincarnation when you do not believe in it. Saying you believe it or don't believe it doesn't change its existence or non-existence.
    Once again, I'm affected because I'm a curious skeptic. If a belief tells me that I may come back as a monkey who sits in a tree all day throwing his own excrement at people, then I feel the need to discover what this belief is all about.

At this point, you guys fell down pages ago and all you're doing now is throwing straws at me. All which are off-subject.

So, you all seem to agree with me that no adequate foundation can be presented except subjective, vague subjective "experiences", right? If so, then we can stop the discussion here, because this does nothing but agree with what I've been typing.

HardLuck, reincarnation is part of the traditional Orthodox Jewish belief system, correct?

Do you have a single belief that is not part of what you have been indoctrinated, er, trained in as part and parcel of Jewish Orthodoxy?
    J.B.S.Haldane

SEAN
    Yikes, red, bold, and all in caps. Am I in trouble or something lol.

Once again, I'm affected because I'm a curious skeptic. If a belief tells me that I may come back as a monkey who sits in a tree all day throwing his own excrement at people, then I feel the need to discover what this belief is all about.
    No, no, no my friend. My belief in reincarnation does not make it real or imaginary and therefore it does not affect you, especially as nobody cares if you believe in it or not.

At this point, you guys fell down pages ago and all you're doing now is throwing straws at me. All which are off-subject.
    What exactly do you mean by "fell down"

So, you all seem to agree with me that no adequate foundation can be presented except subjective, vague subjective "experiences", right? If so, then we can stop the discussion here, because this does nothing but agree with what I've been typing.
    Why would we stop discussing because you do not like the basis for our belief?

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    HardLuck, reincarnation is part of the traditional Orthodox Jewish belief system, correct?

Do you have a single belief that is not part of what you have been indoctrinated, er, trained in as part and parcel of Jewish Orthodoxy?
    Hmm, what is the purpose of the question? I mean, what if I were to say no?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Hmm, what is the purpose of the question? I mean, what if I were to say no?
    Nothing; that's more or less what I'm looking to either establish or have reason to question. You could at least answer the first part; you've got nothing to hide, right?
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Nothing; that's more or less what I'm looking to either establish or have reason to question. You could at least answer the first part; you've got nothing to hide, right?
    The answer to the first part you can find on the very first post of this thread. As for the 2nd part, I'm not sure how that information will be useful to you?

My belief in reincarnation does not make it real or imaginary and therefore it does not affect you, especially as nobody cares if you believe in it or not.
    Your belief in reincarnation does make it real to me that there is a belief out there saying that I may die and then come back as a howler monkey.

That is what leads people to discover and evaluate religions. In order to seek the truth, one must examine that which claims to be the truth.

What exactly do you mean by "fell down"
    Why would we stop discussing because you do not like the basis for our belief?
    You didn't present a foundation at all. You pointed out that people had some sort of vague, subjective "experience", which isn't a foundation at all. Rather, this makes the situation even more complex. I may as well assume that my dream last night, which included me being a superhero and fighting against the Decepticons :P, is actually true... that some time in my past life I must have been a super hero who fought against the Decepticons! This is a blind assumption of the worse kind.

So, you are yet to provide an actual foundation. Thus far, you are a million miles away from this.

Your belief in reincarnation does make it real to me that there is a belief out there saying that I may die and then come back as a howler monkey.
    I said that I have no idea if goyim are reincarnated. Nor did I say that humans ever come back as animals. My belief on what happens to other Jews does not affect you. And even if you were Jewish, my belief in reincarnation would not mean that you would be reincarnated, since reincarnation does not depend on anybody's belief for its existence.

You didn't present a foundation at all. You pointed out that people have some sort of vague, subjective "experience", which isn't a foundation at all. Rather, this makes the situation even more complex. I may as well assume that my dream last night, which included me being a superhero and fighting against the Decepticons :P, is actually true... that some time in my past life I must have been a super hero who fought against the Decepticons! This is a blind assumption of the worse kind.

So, you are yet to provide an actual foundation. Thus far, you are a million miles away from this.
    If I were trying to prove that reincarnation existed, that would be fine. But I'm not trying to prove it and I do not feel a need to prove mystical things to goyim. It's what I believe, and I do not think you should believe it.