Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCraig
    First off, you gave a bad representation of the first post. Sean also typed,

"I'm wondering if anybody else out there believes in reincarnation and has ever thought there could be a way to retrieve memories of past lives? Or if it would be a sin to try?"

Obviously, I believe it is an intellectual sin... of the worst kind seeing that the belief is as groundless as belief in an invisible pink elephant, which makes it untenable and therefore irrational.
    Please define what you mean by intellectual "sin." I define sin as offense against religious or moral law. And because Sean is Orthodox Jew, I interpret this to be a question of Jewish religious law.

A belief may be groundless, untenable AND irrational. I don't see it as sinful.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCraig
    I'm not going to play patty-cake with a belief like this. If some guy walked up to me and told me that werewolves talk to him about the origin of the universe every night, I would point out the absurd reasoning he's using... then I'd laugh at him in a "feel sorry for ya" kind of way.
    If a guy were to walk up to you and tell you that werewolves talk to him about the origin of the universe every night, he would be describing a personal experience. He has not employed reasoning, absurd or not.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
    Lief, my signature is in reference to Tolkien. I lol'd when I read your post, though.
    Good, hoped it was not referred to cheap garage used car salesperson sale stunt tricks in signatures lol

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Please define what you mean by intellectual "sin." I define sin as offense against religious or moral law. And because Sean is Orthodox Jew, I interpret this to be a question of Jewish religious law.

If a guy were to walk up to you and tell you that werewolves talk to him about the origin of the universe every night, he would be describing a personal experience. He has not employed reasoning, absurd or not.
    Dan, you're coming across increasingly prigish in this thread.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Dan,

Sin is when someone offends against a principle or a standard. It can also mean "to be at fault". I feel that reincarnation is at fault with that nasty word called logic. The belief also goes against simple logical rules or principles - that is, it is groundless and jumps to the conclusion.

Remember, though that isn't all Sean typed. Sean also typed,

"what your thoughs are on if it's possible to remember past lives?"

I gave and continue to give my thoughts.

Yes, he has employed reasoning in that he has reasoned that his subjective, personal experience must be true. How can he not have used reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    So from now on when I ask a simple question seeking clarification, asking people to support their assertions and claims, I won't be criticized for "attacking" people's beliefs and opinions or accused of trying to start an argument? I see a huge double standard around here depending on who is speaking to whom.
    C.

Tiger, if you were to ask me a simple question seeking clarification about an assertion I made, I would try and provide you with that. If what I provided you was pointed out as refutable, I would retract and or adjust my assertion and probably thank you for correcting me. An example of this is the correspondence I had with sean in regards to religion holding back some aspects of science. He clarified himself, I retracted and apologized. However, this is something I do not see occur on this forum as much as it should. I don't recall myself ever attacking you for starting an argument, so I hope I'm not on your list of posters with a double-standard.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Good, hoped it was not referred to cheap garage used car salesperson sale stunt tricks in signatures lol
    HAAA!

Tiger,

So from now on when I ask a simple question seeking clarification, asking people to support their assertions and claims, I won't be criticized for "attacking" people's beliefs and opinions or accused of trying to start an argument?
    One would hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Dan, you're coming across increasingly prigish in this thread.
    As for reincarnation - if we believe in it? Imagine if Juke was a born again broccoli? Dunno, but I’ll stick to seal meat etc, which has a better traceable track record. As such.

I see a difference between expressing a belief and making a claim. I can express my belief in unicorns, the monster of Loch Ness, or reincarnation. I have not seen conclusive proving or disproving their existence and I make no claim that they can. Their existence is simply a matter of conjecture.

Dan, I will respectfully disagree with your above statement.

I agree with you that that some of the opinions expressed in this thread are far-fetched and not grounded in reality or reason. Yet one can still contemplate ....

One can contemplate by all means. But when faulty reasoning is pointed out, I am increasingly seeing people going on the defensive. This is the reason we have referees in academic journals. I hope we can agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    As for reincarnation - if we believe in it? Imagine if Juke was a born again broccoli? Dunno, but I’ll stick to seal meat etc, which has a better traceable track record. As such.

Imagine if you were born again as a right-winger.