Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Can you explain the 1st sentence? I have never read the wheel of time series.

I am more interested myself in past lives than in future reincarnations. The world is getting to not be a great place. With global warming, who wants to be around a hundred or so years from now lol.
    Have you had past lives and if so who and what kind of life was it?
    Then work on losing all attachments - probably includes winning arguments and getting the last word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Only when the person has given up attachment do they then enter the state of nirvana.......which is nothingness. It is often described as a candle being blown for the final time out after having been relit many times. The soul no longer craves, no longer thinks in terms of duality, instead realizing the intinsic nothingness to which we attach meaning.
    EDIT: On a separate thought process...

My father got his degree in mathematics, his masters in atomics, and his doctorate in nuclear physics.
    He has the common sense of a piss ant and significant aspects of his intellect is dumber than a 6th grader.

The true measure of intelligence certainly has nothing to do with the specific degree earned or university attended.

I'd rather be an uneducated person providing value to mankind than an overly educated cretin with a superiority complex.
    Last edited by Beth29; 11-24-2007 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    Have you had past lives and if so who and what kind of life was it?
    Then work on losing all attachments - probably includes winning arguments and getting the last word.
    Heh, why are you trying to prolong the fighting. LTF and I have stopped. Can you move on too please?

Eileen - I hope you don't mind my saying how much I love your avatar.

Maybe he was a paparazzi in his last life and hasn't given up the tendency?

Thanks Beth. It was time to get rid of my Thanksgiving turkey avatar, and this one made me smile too!

Beth, I am not sure what you meant by using my quote about nirivana and then telling me about your father's degrees. I was not trying to sound "overly educated" or that I had a superiority complex, I was simply talking about the basis for belief in reincarnation among some eastern religions. The lowest caste Hindu would be as able to describe this as I was. It is not a sign of superiority, simply of having the background in eastern thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Heh, why are you trying to prolong the fighting. LTF and I have stopped. Can you move on too please?
    No problem, you took the post too personally - was really focusing on the interesting concept behind the candle and why I copied the quote (for focus).

Why not continue the moving on by answering the question of what past lives you may have had since you stated that was what was more interesting to you than future lives.

I don't know very much about any specific religion but I always thought that many religions are significantly interested IN their future existence and how best to secure the most pleasant one possible. Is that something that doesn't interest you specifically?

It interests me (me for me not what happens to you per se - don't want you to wrongly apply that statement).
    I don't want to go to hell or whatever existence is unpleasant.

And I think you practice your faith fairly strongly while I do not. I don't know if I've lived past lives but have seen people who have disappeared out of thin air (not before my eyes) and feel that God (higher being) has protected me from fatal situations and harm. I haven't figured out why but there must be a reason.

What does your religion believe regarding reincarnation & what your faith aspires to attain for an afterlife?

Again don't know what your specific religion is or it's beliefs like others here may already know.

And regarding LTF PDQ and ABC - I am not defending any one specifically but do feel you written here in this thread much like my father speaks. I think the word is condescending. I bring that up only because you listed Todd to me. By all means share the knowledge you've learned through life (education and experience) but I don't think its appropriate to assume someone is stupid by comparison of how much school they've acquired or how they obtained their education. I don't want to fight or argue with anyone and don't enjoy reading arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Beth, I am not sure what you meant by using my quote about nirivana and then telling me about your father's degrees. I was not trying to sound "overly educated" or that I had a superiority complex, I was simply talking about the basis for belief in reincarnation among some eastern religions. The lowest caste Hindu would be as able to describe this as I was. It is not a sign of superiority, simply of having the background in eastern thought.
    Oh no Eileen I wasn't applying my father's education to your quote at all - sorry you took it that way. I copied your quote to add focus to reasons to drop attachments to the sentence above your quote. I was trying to enlighten that attachments are not just physical or materialistic and I also need to keep that in mind.

I should have changed color of the bottom half of my post like I do when I change thought processes because they are separate thoughts of things brought up here. I did better when I put numbers with the various aspects of conversations I've had about the reincarnation issue.

I gave my father's education as an example of how education doesn't make you the smartest. I didn't apply it to anyone specifically and feel bad now that it appeared to be associated with the part above it. There are also partners and managers I support at work who also are highly educated but treat the lesser educated people in the work world as less deserving individuals. I lose respect for them. The higher ups I would jump through burning hoops to please are the ones who treat each person the same regardless of their role within the firm. Sad part is, the ones who want that same treatment from me are the ones who I mentioned first. They assume they get respect by simply obtaining a promotion when in reality you individually earn someone's respect.

Sorry - off on a work tangent.

I like how much you know and share about eastern thought - it helps me understand things I am not educated in.

Just as I value what I learn from others who know more about other topics than I.

I'll fix my colors above now - again I apologize for that confusion.
    I also think you share your information perfectly well - not in a superior manner.
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    No problem, you took the post too personally - was really focusing on the interesting concept behind the candle and why I copied the quote (for focus).
    My apologies. You can understand why people's nerves are on edge the last few pages on this thread.

Why not continue the moving on by answering the question of what past lives you may have had since you stated that was what was more interesting to you than future lives.
    Well, personally, I have no memories whatsoever of past lives. None. I know that I was at Mount Sinai for the giving of the Torah - whether I was just a soul or in a body at that time - I do not know. I would be fascinated with trying to recall memories from past lives. I don't know if that is a sin or not in the context of Jewish law. I'm too ashamed to ask a rabbi since I have a feeling he'd think it was weird and that I shouldn't be interested in my past gigul (past lives) but just my current one. That is obviously a truism, but that doesn't mean the interest isn't there.

I don't know very much about any specific religion but I always thought that many religions are significantly interested IN their future existence and how best to secure the most pleasant one possible. Is that something that doesn't interest you specifically?
    The afterlife and what happens after we die is much much more mysterious than Christianity and Islam (one life on Earth, then Heaven or Hell) and the Eastern religions (progressive reincarnation until you free yourself from the cycle). There's really no way to know about it. Contacting dead people is strictly forbidden in Jewish law so we have no way of even trying to find out. Here's what little is known:

- There is a Jewish concept of reincarnation. I do not know if goyim souls are reincarnated, but Jewish ones are/can be. We don't know if every soul gets reincarnated, or why they would be reincarnated. It is generally believed that if you are reincarnated you are always the same gender in all your lives (always male or always female) and that you will always be Jewish. We also pray for forgiveness for our sins in this life and the past. It's not known whether there is a karmic aspect of reincarnation (if you are good, you'll be rich in your next life, etc). Other than that, it is very mysterious.

- Next is the concept of when we die. All people - goyim and Jews - wait in Sheol until resurrection. This place is gloomy, mysterious, etc. If you were good, you wait in the comfort of Abraham's bosom until then. If you were bad, you wait in a place called Gehenna for a maximum of 11 months. It's kind of like hell - only not eternal and more of a metaphorical burning of your sins away than a literal painful burning on your skin. Nobody gets eternal punishment. Nobody.

- There is also the concept of ghosts. For example, many Jews believe the dead can 'see us' when we go to cemetaries and so we don't wear tzitzi's or tefillin there because it would be an insult to the dead to see us performing mitzvot (commandments) when they can't.

- Finally Olam haba - this is the world to come. It's mysterious. No description of it exists. This happens when all Jews and Goyim are resurrected and restored to their bodies. Nobody knows what the world to come is, but all Jews and all righteous gentiles have a place in the world to come. You have to be exceptionally wicked like Hitler not to have a place in the world to come. But even he will not be punished eternally. It is most likely that his soul ceases to exist.

- Lastly, I wanted to add that there are some rulings that our trials in Earth sometimes serve as our penance for any sins we do here. For example, it's believed that Jews killed in the Holocaust went straight to "heaven" or whatever comes next since their misery and murder on Earth precluded them from having to suffer any punishment in Gehenna for their sins.

It interests me (me for me not what happens to you per se - don't want you to wrongly apply that statement).
    I don't want to go to hell or whatever existence is unpleasant.
    Beth, of course you do not want to go to Hell. It's not wrong for you to feel that way and let me tell you some words of comfort that I hope you will not take as condescending.

Some Christians and Muslims frighten people into thinking they are going to Hell eternally if they do not convert or whatever.

G-d is merciful. He is. He is a merciful G-d and will never punish anyone eternally. Never. The most anyone is every punished is 11 months. People from every nation, every religion, every ethnicity will be saved. Not only the Jews but the goyim too will equally have a place in the world to come. There are 7 laws that goyim have to follow to be considered righteous and my guess would be that you already follow most of them. In fact, if you don't eat limbs off of live animals and you live in a nation that has established courts of justice, you already have 2 of the 7 laws down.

And I think you practice your faith fairly strongly while I do not. I don't know if I've lived past lives but have seen people who have disappeared out of thin air (not before my eyes) and feel that God (higher being) has protected me from fatal situations and harm. I haven't figured out why but there must be a reason.
    You really are not obligated to practice anything. Believing that G-d is One, and be a good person is the best thing you can do. G-d hears the prayers of everybody.

hardluck, Todd...

It's pretty clear to me, that you both share a passion for issues/topics related to religion. But, it isn't so much just the topic itself that drives you. More importantly, it's all of the social and political ramifications that ultimately impacts on the real, everyday lives of people, regardless of their personal beliefs, that impassion both of you. Sometimes, people argue because they actually care about the things they are arguing about. That's not such a bad thing. But ya know, this may at times, get the better of you... don't care so much about being right, that you lose sight of why you care so much about these issues.

Anyway...
    the only Trinity I want cliqued is a RhinoScorpCk-some

however... I will always welcome a BiNovie [/wishful thinking]

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    hardluck, Todd...

It's pretty clear to me, that you both share a passion for issues/topics related to religion. But, it isn't so much just the topic itself that drives you. More importantly, it's all of the social and political ramifications that ultimately impacts on the real, everyday lives of people, regardless of their personal beliefs, that impassion both of you. Sometimes, people argue because they actually care about the things they are arguing about. That's not such a bad thing. But ya know, this may at times, get the better of you... don't care so much about being right, that you lose sight of why you care so much about these issues.

Anyway...
    the only Trinity I want cliqued is a RhinoScorpCk-some

however... I will always welcome a BiNovie [/wishful thinking]
    yeah, it was a joke that was taken seriously and no 'trinity' or 'clique' was ever in danger of forming. If it's alright with you, I'd love to keep up the discussion about reincarnation.