Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

I'm wondering if anybody else out there believes in reincarnation and has ever thought there could be a way to retrieve memories of past lives? Or if it would be a sin to try?

In Judaism, many Jews (especially religious ones) believe that Jewish souls are reincarnated and we pray for forgiveness not just for sins in this life but in previous lives. It's not as clear if goyim souls are reincarnated or not. I know the other western religions, Christianity and Islam, largely do not believe in reincarnation, but eastern and pagan religions do (or might - don't want to speak too confidently about religions i'm not too familiar with).

I've always accepted it without thought for most of my life, but have read some stories on people who have produced memories from past lives (hard to say if they are true or not). Some of these stories include people who were able to reproduce facts from someone's life in the past that would be hard for someone to know if they were not around at the time.

Just curious what other people believe about reincarnation and if you believe in it, what your thoughs are on if it's possible to remember past lives?

b'shalom,
    Sean

they put you in a box , bury ya , over.
    oh well

Nope, dont believe in reincarnation.
    Have a question for you tho, You said you have heard stories of those who claim they are from past lives. They tell you a story that would be hard for someone to know if they were not around at the time. Who is there, that was around at that time they give, to claim its a true story or not?

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569
    Nope, dont believe in reincarnation.
    Have a question for you tho, You said you have heard stories of those who claim they are from past lives. They tell you a story that would be hard for someone to know if they were not around at the time. Who is there, that was around at that time they give, to claim its a true story or not?
    I can't say the are lying or being truthful either way. But here is a hypothetical example:

Let's say I'm a 19 year old guy from Phoenix (or any random city, doesn't matter). I'm just a normal college sophomore, likes to party, play sports, etc. I start having dreams about maybe being in a court room setting a lot. As the dreams go on, you remember other details ...maybe of the cars being from the 60s, maybe I remember it snowing sometimes (obviously not Phoenix then), or I start dreaming about family members. Finally, enough pieces come together and you remember that you were a lawyer in Boston in your previous gigul (past life). Since you remember names, you can remember who your famliy was (some of whom might still be living) and tell them your stories. I saw it on Unsolved Mysteries, so of course it could be totally fabricated (but why 2 parties lie about it on tv in front of everybody? i don't know). But it makes me wonder, since I do believe in reincarnation, if it is indeed possible to have memories of past lives.

Seems likely as heaven (or hell) must be awfully dang crowded if not. I have dejavu a lot as if I've been myself before. Maybe I just keep doing it wrong and having to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    Seems likely as heaven (or hell) must be awfully dang crowded if not. I have dejavu a lot as if I've been myself before. Maybe I just keep doing it wrong and having to start over.
    I do that too. I remind myself a lot that "I'm going to do that differently next time around."

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    I do that too. I remind myself a lot that "I'm going to do that differently next time around."
    Yeah, the toothfairy and the Easter Bunny as well.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Yeah, the toothfairy and the Easter Bunny as well.
    Maybe I missed something here??

WilliamCraig, Eileen, and Buck Minister,

Very interesting observations and in some cases, humor, about reincarnation. Eileen and William, reincarnation is not as well-defined and much more mysterious in Judaism. There may or may not be a karmic aspect concerning what your lot in life will be (although it's generally agreed that *if* you born into another life, you will be Jewish and the same gender as all your past lives). Sorry Buck minister, no gender-switching between lives - always a male or always a female. Other than that, it's a complete mystery in contrast to the hindu concept of reincarnation where you reincarnate continuously until you are ready to become one with whatever they become one with.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    Maybe I missed something here??
    My typical sarcasm eluded you; I believe in reincarnation about like I do in asshole projection, the Toothfairy and the Easter Bunny.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane