Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power chair coverage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

power chair coverage

Hi, i was wondering something, i got my chair when i was on medicaid the first 6 months post sci. when i get on medicare next year will i be able to get a new chair at the beginning of coverage? i noticed they will cover chair replacement every 5 years. i'm interested in permobil c500 standing chair is why i'm asking.

Hi Kenny, I don't think you will be able to get a chair unless the one you are using is five years old or if your status has changed dramatically indicating that your current chair no longer fits your disability. I thought the same thing when I qualified for Medicare, but it turns out that they knew how old the chair I was currently using was even though it was paid for by private insurance. I had to wait till the almost five year mark for a new one.

Typically it's 5-7 years for Medicare to cover. I got my 1st chair thru private ins. and my 2nd chair Medicare covered just short of the 5 year mark. Medicare absolutely WILL NOT cover that Permobil stander!! If they do, play the lottery, play the lottery!! I wanted to add my own money to my new chair to get some upgrades an got shot down by Medicare. You would be awfully lucky to even get a Permobil chair covered as they are typically more pricey than others. Good luck.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I want to get my first power chair financed by Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
    A Balder that stands and lies down is my goal.

What are my realistic chances?

Uncle P, a good friend of mine got his stander approved thru private ins ONLY bc he needed it for presentations for work.. If you have a valid reason, you may have a chance. It's bigger and bulkier than most too and he had to buy a full-size van as opposed to a mini.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff.
    I meet with a PT and wheelchair equipment salesman next week to discuss it.

Does the Varsity deliver?
    Do quads and paras have to drive golf carts if they live in Peachtree, Ga.?

What would happen if there actually is an after-life, we die and we're still paralyzed in the Great Beyond?
    Oh, sorry. The last question was for Adi Chicago. Knowing him (in a cyber way) I'm sure he already thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter
    Does the Varsity deliver?
    I wish!!! Grease with more grease never tasted better. I'm salivating thinking of some onion rings.

Do quads and paras have to drive golf carts if they live in Peachtree, Ga.?
    You speak asif you've been here....? Actually, in PC, powerchairs have their own lanes thruout the city.. wishful thinking. Another thread here was being discussed about chairs riding the roads.

Two of my former neighbors from Connecticut live in Peachtree. They live together after each has been married twice. That's love, I guess.

It's all in how it gets written up.

A tilting chair: to avoid pressure sores.
    A reclining back: to assist in straight catheterization.
    Raising foot rests: reducing swelling in the feet and legs.
    ROHO cushion: to avoid pressure sores.
    Swing back joystick: ADL (specifically, to allow you to get close to a table).
    Solid core tires: to prevent flats from street & sidewalk litter.
    Headrest: to support the head while reclining.
    Side knee braces: to prevent the legs from splaying.
    Foot/ankle straps: to keep the feet on the pedals during spasms.
    500 versus 300: higher ground clearance.

You get the idea. And Medicare/Medicaid still might not approve things. In which case, you hope that the wheelchair vendor can work with both you & the insurance, and allow you to pay the extras.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

I just got a c500 stander. Medicare paid their part, Private ins. paid their part and my part was $6,000.