Thread: I'm not really sure what my injury level is...

I'm not really sure what my injury level is...

Hi I am new here.

I am 26. My car accident happened 5 months ago (May) and so far I am able to stand and use a walker, altho it isn't a natural flow walk (because of spasms) I can stand on 2 feet with effy balance. I can feel touch- if I pull hair from my legs I can feel it, I can not feel temp yet, but I think in the more sensitive areas (behind my thighs) cold and heat cause a strange ''sensation"

Strange thing is my compression was C7-T1 however, from what Im reading it states im a C7, but my arms are fine. sensations changes at abou the nipple line (T1?.

My concern is if I want to go the 'stem cell injection route' where would they inject?

This is all new to me, I went from a very active social life, to being indoors, working out, trying to make a come back. I dont think i'll ever walk the same, but I hope I can atleast be upright.

What do you all think? Do I have a chance?

You still are a fairly new injury, and could still get more return. You need at least 2 years to know how much you will get back. Do you have full use of the intrinsic muscles of your hand (the muscles that spread and pull your fingers together)? These are innervated at C8. The nipple line is actually T4. The sensory area for T1 is the elbow and underside of the upper arm and armpit. Your neurologic (spinal cord damage) level should be determined by doing an ASIA exam. It may be quite different from your fractures or vertebrae damage. There is no legitimate stem cell injection therapy currently available in the USA. You may want to post on the Cure forum for more information on this. (KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    You still are a fairly new injury, and could still get more return. You need at least 2 years to know how much you will get back. Do you have full use of the intrinsic muscles of your hand (the muscles that spread and pull your fingers together)? These are innervated at C8. The nipple line is actually T4. The sensory area for T1 is the elbow and underside of the upper arm and armpit. Your neurologic (spinal cord damage) level should be determined by doing an ASIA exam. It may be quite different from your fractures or vertebrae damage. There is no legitimate stem cell injection therapy currently available in the USA. You may want to post on the Cure forum for more information on this. (KLD)
    I have full function of my hand and arms. I took the ASIA exam but the problem is, at the time, I was weak in my left arm because my arm was shattered in the accident. I have recovered fully since thenl. Now that my arm is fine, conducting the test on myself reveals a change in sensation starting at the nipple line, so I guess that makes me a T4? how did that happen if the fracture happened between C4-T1?

I am aware the injections are not available in the U.S. I am looking to travel abroad some time next year. Wouldnt they inject around the fracture area, the damage must have happened around there?

Is there a way I can tell if I am suffering from 'root' nerve damage? I have been taking in alot of complex vitamin B in attempts to 'regenerate' peripheral nerves.......

You can't do an ASIA on yourself correctly. You have to close your eyes or have your eyes shielded, and you cannot do manual muscle testing on yourself.

Pain and temperature are carried in the same tracts in the spinal cord, so there is no need to test temperature if you are tested for pain by needle prick.

Often injuries to the spine cause problems with circulation to the cord, which can cause an injury significantly lower in the cord than the fractures. In addition, the cord segment and the vertebrae with the same name may be some distance apart, esp. in the lower cord.

You would need an exam by a good neurologist or physiatrist, possibly including an EMG or SSEP to determine if you have peripheral nerve damage in addition to spinal cord damage.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-11-2007 at 12:44 PM.

5 months out? Dude you need to be concentrating on rehab. As nurse has said, 2 years is the normal window for recovery. Doing anything surgery wise would be foolish and may only impede recovery. I’d be extremely wary of anyone who would take you as a patient for any type of procedure other than those done during the acute phase, which I think you’re out of.

Rehab, rehab, rehab. Maximize what you’ve got. Maybe look at other options after some time…I’m 6 years out and things are still changing, dramatically.

thanks a lot. seeing a doctor today. =)