View Poll Results: Have you been thrown out of your cantilevered rigid frame wheelchair

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

4 14.29%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

2 7.14%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

7 25.00%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

5 17.86%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has been pitched out their cantilevered frame wheelchair because of an endo?

I wish I would have kept this poll "open" indefinitely to get more responses. I did reference it during my presentation at ISS. I also borrowed Edinburgh Colin's avatar to introduce the following syndrome which can result from high-risk configurations...

I have experienced endo's from the front wheels stopping suddenely in small holes in the road/sticks etc, but I regard that as more to do with the road than the set up of the chair.
    Isn't there an element of a poll like this that simply tells us what the most common chair set up is rather than makes a comment about which set ups are inherently dangerous?

Why was the poll aimed at rigid cantilevered chairs? Reason I ask is because my son has recently changed from a folding Quickie II to a rigid Tilite ZRA2.

When we originally got the Quickie, I immediately changed the casters around so that they stuck out further forward than originally set up, as I considered the set-up to be dangerous, as a simple lean forward would have made him face plant every time.

Interestingly, in ordering the ZRA2, with frogs legs, Tilite said they would need to extend the front frame by 3.5inches, as they said it would be unstable. I was a bit concerned about the length they quoted, but it is fine. And the added advantage is that my son can (for the first time) get into his chair from the floor unassisted, using the front frame extension to push from.

So my view is that my son's cantilevered rigid is more stable than his old folder, despite having smaller casters on the rigid.

So perhaps Tilite has taken note of concerns regarding endos, and does something about it?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Gordy, sounds like they did you a favor by extending the frame. When I went to a Crossfire with 18" deep seat and 85 degree front end I visited a local library that I have been to a hundred times, got books and headed out to parking lot taking the same route as usual, went down short, too steep ramp that had never been a problem. My 5" casters hit the grade change at bottom of ramp and my chair began slow motion, unavoidable endo.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Gordy, sounds like they did you a favor by extending the frame. When I went to a Crossfire with 18" deep seat and 85 degree front end I visited a local library that I have been to a hundred times, got books and headed out to parking lot taking the same route as usual, went down short, too steep ramp that had never been a problem. My 5" casters hit the grade change at bottom of ramp and my chair began slow motion, unavoidable endo.
    I have the exact same setup, 18in deep, 85 degree front and and 5 inch casters. Last month I was going down a curb cutout that I had done 100 times before, this time I had my laptop and a bunch of other stuff in my messenger bag on my lap. Normally its hanging behind me and I can keep the weight off the front at the bottom, with it on my lap my front wheels didn't come off the ground and I did a superman right onto Market street in San Francisco. Good times.

Quickie and Top End add ~1.5" to the seat depth to determine how long the frame itself will be. TiLite chairs are intentionally made shorter than the others, by the same distance. For my tastes I would definitely order a TiLite just a bit longer than the seat depth I needed, with the strap seat sling, (and then put whatever size CF seat pan on it was correct).

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I've crashed using cantilevered frame and box frame. Other factors include caster size, caster material type, with or without front suspension, seat height, seat positioning, not paying attention to sidewalk conditions, clean, dirty, rocky..

I've endo'd using 4, 5, and 6" casters on a few different setups.

The world isn't designed for wheelchairs... or vice-versa.

There are a lot of factors involved. Please read my disclaimer at the end of my first post regarding cantievered frame chairs. Truth is, however, that a cantilevered frame will be more likely than a box frame to endo at speed over surface discrepancies if improperly configured. My point being that therapist need to be knowledgeable of this, take it into consideration when they spec out chairs, and ensure the newer end user receives proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I'm just curious how many CareCure members using cantilevered rigid frame wheelchairs have been thrown out from an endo when their casters became planted on sidewalk cracks or other minor (1/4-1/2") surface irregularities. .
    I have been thrown two times, one going downhill doing a half marathon and one of my casters crash with a little stone that was in the road, and the other was trying 3" casters.
    85ยบ with 4" and 3"

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I am editing my initial post to make sure it is clear that I have nothing against cantilevered frame chairs. I absolutely love mine and have been recommending more cantilevered frame models than box frame models over the past year
    For what reason you recommend cantilevered frames?