View Poll Results: Have you been thrown out of your cantilevered rigid frame wheelchair

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

4 14.29%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

2 7.14%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

7 25.00%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

5 17.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has been pitched out their cantilevered frame wheelchair because of an endo?

Quote Originally Posted by In the wind
    Uumm, I've endo'd ever chair I have, front and back, except this new Q600...but gimme time
    i've back-do'd or whatever ya call it with all my chairs when tryin to go w/o anti-tips, lol. they're a must nowadays. i must have a hard-ass head cause i've never been knocked out, just seen a few stars.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki-k
    rollin: even tho i have 3" casters (~82A hardness...about average), and my COG is set the same as the 18x16 ZRc SCI_OTR has a thread for (3.25? 3.5?), my chair is balanced really well (finally). The front lifts VERY easily, so I glide over most things easily. I use public transportation, and roll thru a major city nearly every day. TONS of construction and road hazards galore. On and off sidewalks, thru crosswalks, over train tracks MANY times per day. I tried a softer wheel, but while it was a nicer ride, it made landing from any height with the front end a bouncy, sometimes unpredictable, game. Maneuverability and speed coupled with awareness makes it a great ride for everyday use in my case. Titanium frame and the Spinergy LX wheels also help absorb alot I think.

with the chair set like this, I love coming up to a turn and poppin the front up and wingin around the turn on two wheels...weeeee! lol!
    if i can catch my mechanic/fiance when she's not wore-out. i think i'll try some 3" on my eclipse before i sell it.

Part of the life I guess..But pulling brush and stretching fence probably don't help...I'll even have to admit driving one of these chairs off the edge of the deck.

It's a quick stop too.
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

I've endo'ed more times than I can count....I chose the 16" or shorter seat depth answer...however my seat is really 16.5" deep....I am the one person who HAS TO be different and not fit in any of the answers completely...LOL...it's not 16 or shorter and it's not 17 or longer...lol...I need my own special category i guess...But seriously, I've done more endos in this chair than I can count...I think a big part of it has to do with how I've got it set up & another has to do with the front casters...I didn't do nearly as many endos in the demo of the same chair, only major difference was wheel sizes & caster type...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    I've endo'ed more times than I can count....I chose the 16" or shorter seat depth answer...however my seat is really 16.5" deep....I am the one person who HAS TO be different and not fit in any of the answers completely...LOL...it's not 16 or shorter and it's not 17 or longer...lol...I need my own special category i guess...But seriously, I've done more endos in this chair than I can count...I think a big part of it has to do with how I've got it set up & another has to do with the front casters...I didn't do nearly as many endos in the demo of the same chair, only major difference was wheel sizes & caster type...
    well, tell everybody how you're set up so the uninformed can be informed, ya misfit.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    well, tell everybody how you're set up so the uninformed can be informed, ya misfit.
    you've read my thread no real changes from that, other than finally getting the Schwalbe brand ultra high pressure tires...YEAH!...I'll have to dig out the link to the thread & post it here...I'm being lazy right now tho..I'm an endo waiting to happen...lol
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by In the wind
    Part of the life I guess..But pulling brush and stretching fence probably don't help...I'll even have to admit driving one of these chairs off the edge of the deck.

How do you stretch fence in a chair????? Really I want to know so I can help fix fence around here. Drives me crazy to live on a farm and not be able to do the tasks I use to.

Back to Topic : I've endoed more times than I can count but neither of the chairs were cantilevered. Most of them were caused by leaning and/or reaching for something too far away. My best endo was early early Christmas day, less than a month out of rehab. Matt and I were coming home from Christmas Eve with family, and I was just starting up the ramp when Matt said something, I looked back to reply and the next thing I know I'm laying on the ground thinking, "Damn your legs hurt when they fall on you." I must have change the COG just enough when I turned. It definitely makes for a memorable first Christmas story.
    ~Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Only 5 days left to respond.

I don’t know if this will help you SCI_OTR, maybe for comparison. I have a Colours Eclipse 16x16, 6 deg. Camber, 3” casters. It used to catch every little crack or bump until I changed to 4” casters. The larger casters and extra dump make a big difference now.

I was always able to stop myself using my arms, but several years ago while carrying stuff I flipped it forward coming down a concrete ramp and broke my left femur just above the joint. I was almost completely separated from the knee joint.

I also have an old Kuschal from 1993, very little dump, 70/75 deg front, 17w.x16, 6 deg., 5” casters. The damn thing is a truck in comparison to the Eclipse. Never had much problem with endos, even off pavement.