View Poll Results: Have you been thrown out of your cantilevered rigid frame wheelchair

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

4 14.29%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

2 7.14%
  • No. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

3 10.71%
  • Yes. 75 or 80 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

2 7.14%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 16" or less.

7 25.00%
  • Yes. 85 or 90 deg frame angle. Seat depth 17"+.

5 17.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has been pitched out their cantilevered frame wheelchair because of an endo?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who has been pitched out their cantilevered frame wheelchair because of an endo?

I'm just curious how many CareCure members using cantilevered rigid frame wheelchairs have been thrown out from an endo when their casters became planted on sidewalk cracks or other minor (1/4-1/2") surface irregularities. I'm trying to get a handle on whether or not some configurations pose an above average risk.

For those users of cantilevered frame chairs who have not taken an endo, your response is just as important.

For those who have been pitched out, there should be no shame in admitting it. I should confess that I had this happen twice during the first month I had my cantilevered frame wheelchair. Besides, the poll has been set up not to show how each participant voted.

Obviously, this is a very non-scientific poll, but the results might give us all a better idea if there may be an issue and whether it warrants further examination.

I am editing my initial post to make sure it is clear that I have nothing against cantilevered frame chairs. I absolutely love mine and have been recommending more cantilevered frame models than box frame models over the past year.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 11-11-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Proactive disclaimer for posting this poll

yup! no shame here.

Oh yeah, but I don't know the angle.

Not sure how to vote..

80 degree A-4, 6" casters (originally), not canti frame, but endo'd in it twice.

ZRa, 85 degree, and I have planted my casters (3") in railroad tracks and not endo'd (close...really close).

For me, awareness and being more and more active, plus reading about how/why others have had things happen (not just endo's) has helped IMMENSELY when gettin out n about. The 5 degree steeper angle has not hurt in any way I can tell, and going to 3" casters is the best thing I ever did. If I had started in a chair liek this tho, I would have had LOTS of falls, forward, backward and sideways . Oh- and I tuck my legs under quite abit, more than the average person evidently. But, I also do not have my seat back at a 90 degree angle to the ground; it looks like it is more like ~87 degrees.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

yup. one time. it left a mark, lol. caught myself on my elbow.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

yes, during my brief period in a kuschall champion which was 70 degrees - barefoot, so a little shorter than in shoes, chair made 4 inches too wide and no dump, leaving me with woeful stability in pretty much every direction. my 4" hard castors got confronted by a threshold, feet fell off footrest, i headbutted it, then i somersaulted over it and ended up lying on the floor staring up at the underside of my chair. naturally this happened at 2 in the morning when i was half asleep, so i had to kip there til it was late (and bright) enough for me to mount a sucessful reentry. i hated that chair - anyone want it?

ZRA - no endo's or close-calls...yet (knock on wood)

zra/16x17/80 degree front/5" softrolls.

no endo's, yet. i'm pretty careful and i guess 7 yr's experience helps some too. this chair setup is really stable for me. i want to try 3" but the endo's and rough ride don't turn me on.

i've always used 5" casters. i'm sure 3" casters give better manueverability on smooth surfaces, they seem like they would be hell on a rough raod, sidewalks and cobblestones though.

rollin: even tho i have 3" casters (~82A hardness...about average), and my COG is set the same as the 18x16 ZRc SCI_OTR has a thread for (3.25? 3.5?), my chair is balanced really well (finally). The front lifts VERY easily, so I glide over most things easily. I use public transportation, and roll thru a major city nearly every day. TONS of construction and road hazards galore. On and off sidewalks, thru crosswalks, over train tracks MANY times per day. I tried a softer wheel, but while it was a nicer ride, it made landing from any height with the front end a bouncy, sometimes unpredictable, game. Maneuverability and speed coupled with awareness makes it a great ride for everyday use in my case. Titanium frame and the Spinergy LX wheels also help absorb alot I think.

with the chair set like this, I love coming up to a turn and poppin the front up and wingin around the turn on two wheels...weeeee! lol!
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Quote Originally Posted by nikki-k
    rollin: even tho i have 3" casters (~82A hardness...about average), and my COG is set the same as the 18x16 ZRc SCI_OTR has a thread for (3.25? 3.5?), my chair is balanced really well (finally). The front lifts VERY easily, so I glide over most things easily. I use public transportation, and roll thru a major city nearly every day. TONS of construction and road hazards galore. On and off sidewalks, thru crosswalks, over train tracks MANY times per day. I tried a softer wheel, but while it was a nicer ride, it made landing from any height with the front end a bouncy, sometimes unpredictable, game. Maneuverability and speed coupled with awareness makes it a great ride for everyday use in my case. Titanium frame and the Spinergy LX wheels also help absorb alot I think.

with the chair set like this, I love coming up to a turn and poppin the front up and wingin around the turn on two wheels...weeeee! lol!
    if i can catch my mechanic/fiance when she's not wore-out. i think i'll try some 3" on my eclipse before i sell it.