Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: breakfast: the most important meal of the day

I drink this stuff everyday.

Greens First

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    I'll try to get linda to go with some of the turkey substitutes, at least it won't be as greasy as pork..I was thinking of maybe canned fruit but there is a lot of sugar in that (linda is diabetic) so we do try to watch what we eat..it's just starting to get boring...I know I have to cut down on the sodium so we switched to 1/2 the salt from morton..one of the meds I take says not to have salt substatute..plus I noticed that when I eat a lot of sunflowerseeds my feet swell opps toomuch sodium shame on me...but at least I'm not smoking!!
    Darrel, sugar isn't bad, its high fructose corn syrup that's evil. That's the sweetener that's in 99% of sweetened food/juice and what's linked to type 2 diabetes. If you want to avoid regular sugar tho, try agave nectar. Juke would recommend Stevia. The Del Monte doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup. Click on this link: http://www.delmonte.com/Products/Fru...t.asp?typeID=8

Breakfast doesn't have to be boring, you just have to be open to trying new things. And don't be afraid to give the soy milk a try.

I'll have to start going with her and slip a few Items in the cart to try out.. I normally hate going to the stores and that around here (college town) I am a hermit, I hate crouds with a passion.

Egg

There was a study here announced the other day that explained that egg does not have any negative influence on the cholesterol level for most people. Many of the countries docs say this. Eat egg with good conscience is the advice from nutrition physiologists.

Nine out of ten patients with moderate to high cholesterol level has not been advised by their doc’s to eat less eggs, and people in general is not worried of eating eggs.

Two studies which Synovate and DinKost.no had done for the public information office for egg and white meat showes that.

We welcome the results. The myth that eating egg leads to high cholesterol levels are imprinted so strong that it still is valid by some, says nutrition physiologist ├ůse Kringlebotn from the public information office on egg and white meat.

In the past it was common to advice people with a tad high level of cholesterol to be careful with egg and roe (fish). A few years back most docs also advised against too much egg eating.

- As a fact the egg yolk contains cholesterol, but it does not influence the cholesterol level for the average person. The exception is for those already having a very high level of cholesterol in their blood, says Kringlebotn. Link in “Hutu” language

So, enjoy you’re omelettes Darrel.
    Last edited by Leif; 11-10-2007 at 02:32 PM.

hell between the stress I was under through work and eating 2-3 eggs a day I figured that was what set my heart attack off, I'm sure the fried foods did not help any..I stay away from alot of beef but was told that venison was okay because it is lean..

so I can start to injoy the breakfast burrittoes again, that is good to know..linda makes a wicked burritto..

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I make sure I eat something. Either a bagel with cream cheese, because it's a fact that our bagels are the best in the world (sorry New York), or two bananas some yogurt and milk in a smoothie.
    Soooo true!

Wink

Darrel, I've got to say that that high fructose corn syrup is so evil that it cancels out the positive effects of grapefruit juice for me. I load up on pure unmessed with grapefruit juice whenever it's on sale at my market, which is often. I got some Langers "grapefruit" juice last time I shopped and drank some a few days ago after going through the last of the real stuff. I usually get a systemic boost out of drinking grapefruit juice (out of eating grapefruit as well) but that Langers, which turns out to be high in high fructose corn syrup, made me feel tired and stuffy.

Contrary to Seneca's take on the skinney here, I don't recommend stevia (actually the white powder extract of stevia which has little taste beyond its powerful sweetening contribution) over agave juice although I use it and don't use agave. I do say that you'll spend much more on your agave sweetener than you will stevia extract if you choose to go that route. But if you make the change to either sweetener, more power to you; any major dietary change is very difficult and should be recognized as such and a change from the conventionally supplied sweeteners to either of these is a major positive change that will be felt by you soon after you make it if you've been consuming a significant amount of refined cane and/or high fructose corn sugar.

Raleys has got Texas grapefruits as well as their own brand pure refrigerated grapefruit juice on sale today so, assuming I remember my walllet, I'll load up on both of them.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

one of the meds I'm on says not to drink grapefruit juice so I have been staying away from grapefruit all together it's a shame because I like it

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    one of the meds I'm on says not to drink grapefruit juice so I have been staying away from grapefruit all together it's a shame because I like it
    I’m not a doc obviously but understand that grapefruit can influence some medicine and the absorbing of those, but is it possible for you to enjoy grapefruits if having it in a timeframe not close to the med intake? Don’t know the meds you use but maybe your doc could give you some advises. Yeah well, if you like grapefruit that much I mean.

I have to see my family Dr. monday about my bladder trouble , I think it is one of the meds she prescribed for me, I'll ask her about that