Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Earth is older than 6000 years

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    It wasn't Chris but Wise Young, and it was your first post after he expressed his concern regarding what religious parents teach their children at home about creation. That was the 'dogma' being discussed at the time - not people blowing themselves up.
    I had thought both of them expressed opposition to that. If not, my mistake! And even if my post followed, I wasn't expressing concern about homeschooling at all, but religious dogma that didn't include Creationism. I don't think the belief in Creationism causes people to do evil things.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Like Bill Maher would say: (paraphrasing) Communism is like a religion. Whenever people put their complete faith into a dictator or regime, it's the same mentality as a religion.
    You would be very hard-pressed to classify atheists as "religious" by any means. There are no rituals, no observances, no set-beliefs other than G-d's non-existence. I think it's intellectualy dishonest to say that Jews were being killed in Russia because the atheists were being "religious". There is no tenet in atheism that calls for destruction of non-atheists. But atheists have killed non-atheists. It's a sympton of the evil of man, not religion.

I will not embrace that point as intellectually inferior () that may make me in your eyes. Animals kill people, too, but they don't do so out of religion, yet people do. Trying to take the blame off of religious dogma is dishonest because it's religious dogma that indoctrinates the people that can do those evil things in its name. Isn't Nazism evil in itself? The fact that people committed genocide doesn't take the blame off the propaganda that caused the Holocaust.
    No, sir - that's ridiculous. To say that atheist Russians were following "religious dogma" is an oxymoron. They were certainly following a dogma, but not one based on religion. This just highlights the point again that Chick made regarding non-religious dogma existing as well.
    Last edited by hardluckhitshome; 11-14-2007 at 11:36 PM.

hardluk, just curious as to why ure typing "g_d" but quoting "god" ?...seriously, i'm curious..

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    hardluk, just curious as to why ure typing "g_d" but quoting "god" ?...seriously, i'm curious..
    I don't understand the question. Quoting G-d? What do you mean?

Edit: Well, at first I thought you were talking about quoting something G-d said, but rereading your question I think you mean, why don't I edit other people's posts when I quote them to take out the word G-d with an o.

Firstly, it is not Jewish law that you cannot write G-d as God. See I just did. It's a sign of respect and tradition. G-d is the English designation of the supreme being; it's not Hashem's name though. Therefore writing God as G-d is a sign of respect, but not a commandment.

It would be disrespectful of me though to edit a quote and take out the o and put in a - because that would be destroying the word. It's better to leave the word intact in quotes.

I hope that answers your question. If I misunderstood your question, let me know and I'll try again.
    Last edited by hardluckhitshome; 11-14-2007 at 04:26 PM.

that explains it...thx.......but isn't that the same as

The Book of the Dead was written circa 1800 BCE.
    Didn't the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai occur circa 1500 BCE?
    Wasn't there some theory that Biblical Jews borrowed the concept from it (Book of the Dead) after their Exodus from Egypt?

Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

You would be very hard-pressed to classify atheists as "religious" by any means. There are no rituals, no observances, no set-beliefs other than G-d's non-existence. I think it's intelletualy dishonest to say that Jews were being killed in Russia because the atheists were being "religious". There is no tenet in atheism that calls for destruction of non-atheists. But atheists have killed non-atheists. It's a sympton of the evil of man, not religion.

No, sir - that's ridiculous. To say that atheist Russians were following "religious dogma" is an oxymoron. They were certainly following a dogma, but not one based on religion. This just highlights the point again that Chick made regarding non-religious dogma existing as well.
    You've missed the entire point. One definition of religion: 4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. Nowhere did I say Communism had theism as a tenet. Under the dogma of Russian Communism, people were killed because it was part of the process of meeting their political goals (one of which was an aversion of the middle-class). Likewise, people were killed in the name of theological religions for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    that explains it...thx.......but isn't that the same as
    Need the rest of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor guy
    The Book of the Dead was written circa 1800 BCE.
    Didn't the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai occur circa 1500 BCE?
    Wasn't there some theory that Biblical Jews borrowed the concept from it (Book of the Dead) after their Exodus from Egypt?

I haven't heard that. That's funny though since the 10 commandments call for monotheism, keeping the Sabbath, and not having any graven images of G-d. I can't imagine the ancient Egyptians believed in any of that. In any case, the Torah was created before the universe and given to Moshe at Mt. Sinai.

Quote Originally Posted by Le type francais
    You've missed the entire point. One definition of religion: 4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. Nowhere did I say Communism had theism as a tenet. Under the dogma of Russian Communism, people were killed because it was part of the process of meeting their political goals (one of which was an aversion of the middle-class). Likewise, people were killed in the name of theological religions for other reasons.
    Based on definition "4" of religion, everybody is religious as everybody has a cause or principle they are devoted to, be it Judaism, Christianity, Liberalism, Communism, Atheism, their own pleasures, or whatever the case may be. If we are going to apply definition "4," then there is no such thing as a non-religious person with the exception perhaps of people in persistent vegetative states.

Back to a more in-context use of "religion," secular, atheist Russia had a "no religion" state policy and yet had no trouble massacring hundreds of thousands of Jews. The non-religious have hurt the Jews as much as the religious, and so I remain unconvinced that the non-religious are more righteous or that religion is the cause for evil in the world as opposed to human nature.

The non-religious have hurt the Jews as much as the religious, and so I remain unconvinced that the non-religious are more righteous or that religion is the cause for evil in the world as opposed to human nature.
    I remain unconvinced of the same. I've never said all the non-religious are more righteous or that religion is the one or only cause for evil. It is a cause, not the only cause. For example, racism isn't usually directly connected to religion, but it's divisive and the dogmas supporting it are brainwashing. I have family members still against interracial marriage. Some think the Bible preaches against it, while others are not religious and just against it based on what they were taught (they grew up in the 60's or earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    I remain unconvinced of the same. I've never said all the non-religious are more righteous or that religion is the one or only cause for evil. It is a cause, not the only cause. For example, racism isn't usually directly connected to religion, but it's divisive and the dogmas supporting it are brainwashing. I have family members still against interracial marriage. Some think the Bible preaches against it, while others are not religious and just against it based on what they were taught (they grew up in the 60's or earlier).
    Excellent, we have reached the point of agreement about religion not being the cause of evil, but humanity.